2012 MDX - Vibration Noise In Front Passenger Seatbelt Latch/Buckle Receiver - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-28-2012, 06:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

2012 MDX - Vibration Noise In Front Passenger Seatbelt Latch/Buckle Receiver

I recently bought a 2012 MDX w/ Tech. I have noticed that when I go over light "bumps" in the road, there is a vibration/rattle noise coming from the front passenger seat. I seem to have isolated the problem to the front passenger belt latch/buckle receiver (not the belt/clip itself). If I hold the latch/buckle receiver or have the belt buckled, the noise disappears.

Anybody else experience this issue or have a suggested fix besides turning up the radio, holding the latch/buckle receiver or driving around with the seatbelt fastened when nobody else is in the car. I know my dealer will replace the latch/buckle receiver if I bring it up, but I would rather find an easier solution because it looks like they would have to remove the seat or take out the center counsel to replace the latch/buckle receiver.
MDKxi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 10:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

I have this exact same problem with my 2012 tech which is at ~4600 mi. Sounds like a light rattle / knocking sound when going over light bumps / or uneven road. Also happens more when the car is cold and on high idle. Driving me freaking nuts and the only solution I can come up with is to buckle the belt when there is no passenger. Issue seemed to crop up around 3000 miles and I've been waiting to have it fixed at my next service point.

Dealer was good about fixing a loose headliner that had a slight rattle, it was just a PITA to get the problem to replicate at the dealer so they knew what I was talking about.
OilFinder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 10:30 AM   #3 (permalink)

One other thing. Check your tire pressure. Did not realize that mine had slipped below 30 PSI, since the "safe" zone for the TPMS is >26 PSI. Had to top up the tires to 32 PSI today after the latest cold front here. No more vibration noise today (or at least it was reduced to a point I could not detect).

This kind of makes sense since the noise started about the time summer ended here in TX. Would also be why it seemed to be worse when the car was cold. It's not uncommon for us to experience 30-40 degree temp shift over a 36 hr period this time of year. Also note that it took ~30 25 min into my commute for tires to reach "running" equilibrium. All of these factors would translate to a 3-4 psi expansion range which is likely to have a significant effect on vibration you'd experience on a tighter suspension, especially if the tires were already at the low end of recommended inflation pressure.
OilFinder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 02:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks. I found that moving the latch/buckle reciever all the way forward against the seat or all the way back against the seat back seems to help some. I am also going to try and insert a slip of carboard paper in the latch/buckle reciever to see if that helps at all. (I can't tell whether or not the vibration is coming from inside the latch/buckle reciever.)

I only have 600 miles on my MDX so it sounds like you will go in for your service before me. If you remember, please let me know what they say and what it takes to fix it. I hate to have them start taking out other parts (middle counsel, seat, etc.) to fix a small annoyance as I suspect I might end up with more rattles when everything is put back together.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDKxi View Post
I know my dealer will replace the latch/buckle receiver if I bring it up, but I would rather find an easier solution because it looks like they would have to remove the seat or take out the center counsel to replace the latch/buckle receiver.
Just FYI - I recently had to have a seat belt part (probably the latch/buckle receiver, I'm guessing) replaced because, after 130K miles, a sensor in it was causing the SRS warning light on the dash to light up. They replaced it under warranty (seat belts have a lifetime warranty). They didn't have the part in stock, but when I came back a few days later to have them do it, it only took them about half an hour. Yes, they had to remove the seat, but it was a quick operation. Other than having to go there twice (or get a loaner and leave my car there overnight), the only negative was that I had to reset the memory settings for the seat. So if they need to replace the latch/buckle receiver, that's really not a big deal, and isn't likely to cause any other problems.

HTH
Old 12-03-2012, 03:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks "nsxtasy"!

That makes me feel better since it appears the noise is only getting worse as time goes on.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:22 AM   #7 (permalink)

I get the same rattle from passenger buckle, took me a while to figure it out and got really annoy/frustrated at first. I just push the buckle forward and it goes away, it rattles when its freely in the air and not against the seat.
blingman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 06:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blingman View Post
I get the same rattle from passenger buckle, took me a while to figure it out and got really annoy/frustrated at first. I just push the buckle forward and it goes away, it rattles when its freely in the air and not against the seat.
Exactly same behaviour here.
rodsant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2013, 01:26 AM   #9 (permalink)

front passenger belt buckle rattle

Very annoying rattle on 2013 10k miles mdx found at buckle . Looking at this while underway going over bumpy road reveals visible intense vibration reminding me of a tuning fork. I just discovered this and it appears that moving buckle forward eliminates noise. Doesn't happen when someone is in seat since belt is buckled.
jjmk1492 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: