Vibration /flutter sound like driving on a rumble strip - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 07-29-2004, 11:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

Vibration /flutter sound like driving on a rumble strip

There have been several posts about this - rumble strip vibration usually around 30 to 40 mph that lasts about 2 seconds.

My car is at the dealer - they can't replicate it and say can't fix it.

They (I) need help -

what causes the vibration? Any ideas and/or suggestions will be great.

Thanks, Steve
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2004, 12:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Sad to say nothing gets a dealership's attention faster than a problem that is obvious and will not go away, or having a subtle problem when the car is out of warranty. Then they will go to great lengths to diagnose it.
DaleB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2004, 12:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

starting to sound very common

Hey Steve... we've got the same thing happening. It's sometimes very evident and sometimes more subtle like you're not sure if it happened again or you just ran over a rough spot in the road. It's definitely making me paranoid though!

Someone else said they had this problem and the dealer replaced the EGR valve and the problem went away.

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showt...threadid=18099

Keep us posted if you get any where.

I'm worried I won't be able to replicate it either for the dealer....it's still hit or miss for now.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:14 AM   #4 (permalink)

I recently had sort of the same problem. After accelerating and then trying to maintain a cruising speed, the MDX would shudder for a few seconds. It was the EGR valve and a related port clogged with carbon. The port was cleaned and the EGR valve was replaced. The service department told me to step down from premium to mid-grade gas.
Old 08-02-2004, 11:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

This topic and similar ones, are shades of one where an owner removed the intake manifold cover & gasket, and cleaned out all the blackened passages. The end result was a smoother running '01 MDX. I believe he had around 50+K miles on it.
The topic had to do with stumbling on acceleration. There was no mention of replacing the EGR valve.

I notice dealers/mechanics offering intake cleaning services to be done chemically for around 90 bucks. I wonder if they might not have some value, or perhaps the manual cleaning is more effective.
Not so sure the fuel grade has a lot to do with it. But I don't believe premium is needed for everyday use. I say that as a side comment, not to go into another fuel grade topic.

Maybe our mechanic from SF could jump in on this..he has not been around a while...
DaleB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2004, 12:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

I just got my new 04 MDX this past Friday.
On Saturday I heard the noise after lowering the passenger
window. Heard it once more over the weekend.
chrysafis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2004, 10:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

I called my dealer today (they still have my MDX - 1 week in the shop , they picked it up last Monday). They say it is probably the EGR valve. This is after I sent them several posts suggesting the EGR problem
Old 08-09-2004, 04:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

i just got my x checked about the valve. I was getting a studdering at 15000 rpm. they said my egr valve was clogged causing the studder. so far so good. Let me see how it will be once I drive home.

2003 TL-S Satin Silver w/Blk interior
bchenMDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2004, 11:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

Flutter sound

If the rear passenger window is open at 35 miles per hour, we get a very weird clapper sound in the passenger footwell. It sounds to me like the fresh/recycle air damper is getting tossed about, but I don't know for sure.

2004 + Nav/RES
chriswo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2004, 04:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

Re: Flutter sound

Quote:
Originally posted by chriswo
If the rear passenger window is open at 35 miles per hour, we get a very weird clapper sound in the passenger footwell. It sounds to me like the fresh/recycle air damper is getting tossed about, but I don't know for sure.

2004 + Nav/RES
I've noticed similar:
If only one of the rear windows is open and none of the others,
the noise starts and... the front passengers feel pressure in their
ears!
weird but true.

If you open the other rear widnow or the front window diagonally, the noise goes away.
Airflow related.
chrysafis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2004, 10:56 PM   #11 (permalink)

For those of you following this post. My car was at the dealer for over a week. The EGR valve was replaced.

BUT the car is still making the rumble noise and vibrating - more now then before the EGR valve was replaced. Seems to happen most ofter between 35 and 45 MPH.

It is scheduled to be picked up by the dealer again on Sept. 13th. My lucky day?

When it comes back, hopefully repaired, it might turn into a Toureg or a BMW
Old 09-02-2004, 02:52 PM   #12 (permalink)

Hey folks, new to this forum but not to Acuras. Have a cherry '02 X Black with Touring package and about 20K on it. I got it about a month ago.

I took it in for the tranny recall and mentioned the "Shuttering/Hesitation on lite acceleration" at around 40 MPH. They replaced a sticky EGR valve but the problem continues. It is only on light acceleration and right around 40. You can feel the engine just die. I can feel it through the "seat of my pants". Then, it pops back to life.

Any earlier poster mentioned NOT running premium? Has anyone tried that? I run 92/93 from force of habit w/my Legend. Should I NOT be running that level of fuel?

Thanks for any comments or thoughts on this annoying issue.

Mike R in Reading PA
MFR426 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2004, 05:03 PM   #13 (permalink)

Hi Mike,

Your problem sounds the same as mine. Although I would not say the engine dies.

I have had a vibration problem since the car was new. Acura calls it a harmonic vibration and has no cure for it. I wonder if the problems are related?

If you get yours fixed please post what the repair was. Mine is scheduled to go in on Sept. 13th.

Steve
Old 09-02-2004, 05:22 PM   #14 (permalink)

Thanks Steve for the reply. I guess "die" is NOT the best description. But, I can feel me pushing the pedal down and thinking "what happened to my engine". It sort of hits a flat spot and stumbles. It has actually bucked a few times and I sort of like to play with it to make it really apparent so I can help diagnose it.

They claim that they installed a new EGR as mine was sticking. If this were a regularly asperated motor (like a 383 Mopar), I would say that I had a bad fuel pump or carb/jet issue. I think it could be related to a bad injector or pump or a vacuum issue. But it is so tough to tell with these new motors.

If they diagnose your X and fix it, please post as well. For the time being I am going to downgrade my fuel as I read that too high of octane can mess with the motor. I have nothing to lose at this point. I dont think most would notice the miss/hesitation but can sense it.

Thanks!
MFR426 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2004, 09:31 PM   #15 (permalink)

Per my previous posts my EGR valve too was replaced and the valve body was "cleaned". In my opinion it is a bad bearing, contant velocity joint or a one of the shafts in the tranny is moving enough to cause some gears to rub.

It seems to be a not too uncommon problem and one would think that Acura should have a fix for it. But like the "harmonic vibration" I do not think they could care less.

I would never by another Acura again.

I love my new BMW 545. The quality and driving pleasure is night and day compared to anything Acura has. Just my $.02
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: