Premium gas? - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-18-2012, 01:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Premium gas?

Is it a must to use the premium gas or can we get away with the plus??
What are your thoughts????
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2012, 03:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ari

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDX2012Lover View Post
Is it a must to use the premium gas or can we get away with the plus??
What are your thoughts????
With newer cars that can almost immediately retard timing in case of detonation premium is not as much of an issue as it has been in the past. However, you will lose performance when it retards the timing. Also, you will likely see a change in your gas mileage which may or may not negate going from premium to mid-grade.
2011 Acura MDX Tech/Ent (Palladium Metallic/Ebony): OEM Wood Steering Wheel, OEM Wood Shift Knob, Advance Running Boards, OEM Tow Package & Color Matched Body Side Moldings. Mods: Power Steering Filter and LED Interior Lights Awaiting Install: HID Fog Lights

Other Cars (Current): 2008 Lexus IS350 & 2007 Volvo S60R
Ari is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2012, 04:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

I use BP Premium. I like to keep my engine in top performance. What is the difference of 20 to 30 cents a gallon from Super to Plus??
raildog64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2012, 07:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ari

Quote:
Originally Posted by raildog64 View Post
I use BP Premium. I like to keep my engine in top performance. What is the difference of 20 to 30 cents a gallon from Super to Plus??
Anywhere from $4 to $7 per tank depending on the location of the country
2011 Acura MDX Tech/Ent (Palladium Metallic/Ebony): OEM Wood Steering Wheel, OEM Wood Shift Knob, Advance Running Boards, OEM Tow Package & Color Matched Body Side Moldings. Mods: Power Steering Filter and LED Interior Lights Awaiting Install: HID Fog Lights

Other Cars (Current): 2008 Lexus IS350 & 2007 Volvo S60R
Ari is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2012, 07:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
KES

Ths topic has been debated to death.

I have 2002 with 163K. I have run 89 and 93. From my experience I get more miles per gallon from the 93. So while it costs more per gallon you get some of it back in MPG. Since I have already conceeded the fact I have an SUV that gets SUV mileage and not a Civic or Prius the savings of running 89 (if any) is pocket change relative to the cost of a $40,000+ vehicle.
KES is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2012, 08:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

If you want to keep it nice, treat it nice.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:24 AM   #7 (permalink)

I've always thought - take care of it and it will take care of you.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
tolson37 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2012, 01:42 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari View Post
With newer cars that can almost immediately retard timing in case of detonation premium is not as much of an issue as it has been in the past. However, you will lose performance when it retards the timing. Also, you will likely see a change in your gas mileage which may or may not negate going from premium to mid-grade.
Exactly what Ari said!!!
I've tries plus, crappy mileage, I do better on premium

HAD: 84 Corvette(SC) Coupe, 1969 Mustang Boss 302 Coupe,1984 Datsun 280ZX(Turbo),(3x)03 Mazda MX-6 V6,05 Camaro SS,98 Jeep GC 5.9 Limited,99 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Edition,05 Subie WRX Limited
HAVE:04 Acura MDX Touring w/ Nav-RES
00 Jeep Cherokee Limited (City Car)
WANT:2011 Caddy CTS-V Hennessey Edition
2015 Acura NSX Type S
AutisMDXTypeS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2012, 11:17 AM   #9 (permalink)

Jmho...

Around town, driving my 2003 Touring, I alternate every-other tank between 89 and 91 Oct. Don't notice any difference in either mileage or performance. If I know we're going on a road trip I keep 91 oct in it just because I usually drive around 70 mph and I feel that the extra octane might help, but I have no proof that it does. I use Shell on the highway because it's the only gas credit card I have, but they seem to take everything. I also run a bottle of Techron once in a while for peace of mind, but I don't know if that works either. I never let it go less than 1/2 a tank because, being in the San Francisco bay area earthquakes are always a potential and want the car to be available. It's also not good to get too close to empty because the fuel pump is cooled by gas and I don't want that problem. Haven't had any fuel related problems. Mileage is satisfactory. Vehicle is in good shape. Fuel to hit $5/gal this summer (thanx, Obama, but that's another story), they say. Also, I use Costco gas frequently. Some talk has been made about this gas. I have NEVER had a problem with it. Now that I've said all of this am I tempting fate? I'll let you know but my fingers are crossed!
ROTORRAY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2012, 03:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

I've always given the X premium as it just kills the mileage. However, not all premium gas will be the same. Costco gas is cheaper, but it will provide worse mileage. The amount of money I overpay putting in Sunoco 93 I make up and some more in MPGs
Old 02-19-2012, 04:38 PM   #11 (permalink)

if you run a search on the topic...someone actually did the regular vs premium experiment. run regular your gas mileage may suffer, and you frequent the gas station more frequently. run premium pay a little more, optimized gas mileage, the owner's manual says its required, our engines are high compression engines and theylike higher octane fuels...long terms effects of running regular...possibly damaging your engine.

bottomline your wallet will actually suffer more by using a cheaper lower grade gas than premium, b/c you are visiting the gas station more frequently on lower grade gas.

BUT it's your car, put whatever you want in it. i just don't wanna be the next owner of your car. just sayin'.

'05 TL 6MT w/navi--AM/ebony--lightly modded
trimdx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2012, 06:29 PM   #12 (permalink)

I tried running mid grade in it for a while when prices shot up, I noticed it started running like ****. Thought it might been ****ty gas so i filled it up a second time with mid-grade. Then 1 day I was sitting in a drive through and heard it randomly knocking... never again. premium only 4 me.

say what you want. but try it and see for yourself. MY "X" doesnt like anything less than premium.
d1jinx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2012, 07:19 PM   #13 (permalink)

As much as I want to use bobo brand gas, whenever I put Shell Premium in, my car feels silkier...

I figure if its 20 cents/gallon difference, $4 bux per fillup or week. That is about the price of the bottle of techron or lucas additive I'd feel compelled to buy if I ran the lower quality gas.

Previous Acuras:
bear1906 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2012, 08:26 PM   #14 (permalink)

Bobo....haha, haven't heard that word in awhile. I feel the same way about Sunoco 94 oct. I touch the pedal and she's ready to jump! And I need a tune up! Can't wait to do my tune up.

HAD: 84 Corvette(SC) Coupe, 1969 Mustang Boss 302 Coupe,1984 Datsun 280ZX(Turbo),(3x)03 Mazda MX-6 V6,05 Camaro SS,98 Jeep GC 5.9 Limited,99 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Edition,05 Subie WRX Limited
HAVE:04 Acura MDX Touring w/ Nav-RES
00 Jeep Cherokee Limited (City Car)
WANT:2011 Caddy CTS-V Hennessey Edition
2015 Acura NSX Type S
AutisMDXTypeS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2012, 10:03 PM   #15 (permalink)

As always, JMHO....

TrimDX said, "..possibly damaging your engine." There's absolutely no proof of this. Timing is computer controlled to minimize knock. The difference between 89 and 91 oct is minimal and easily handled by the electronics. I can't get 93 in Calif. 91 is tops. Use what you want and whatever works for you. I've seen folks who maximize their mpg by draining the tank to near "E" prior to re-fill. At that time they are sucking residue in the bottom of the tank into the pump. The pump is also "cooled" by the remaining fuel. Who's right? I don't know. I know what works for me. If what you do works for you, GREAT. That's just what makes the world go around. My personal experience shows me that the greatest hazard to my engine is DEALER MAINTENANCE!! I have so much proof of that it's nauseating. Once the warranty ran out I ran from the dealer. Just the way it is.
ROTORRAY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: