Using Regular Gas - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-11-2008, 07:47 AM   #1 (permalink)

Using Regular Gas

This past weekend I traveled from the Midwest to Florida. There were some gas shortages in Tenn, NC, SC and GA. I was able to find gas, but at one stop, I couldn't find high test. I was a little over half full, so I just added 5 gal of regular. I didn't notice any difference.

What would have been the consequences if I had to add more regular gas to the tank?
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2008, 08:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Re: Using Regular Gas

Quote:
Originally posted by lester123
This past weekend I traveled from the Midwest to Florida. There were some gas shortages in Tenn, NC, SC and GA. I was able to find gas, but at one stop, I couldn't find high test. I was a little over half full, so I just added 5 gal of regular. I didn't notice any difference.

What would have been the consequences if I had to add more regular gas to the tank?

If you don't notice the small performance/mpg difference, then there is no consequence unless you hear pinging. Many forum members run 1st gen MDX's on regular gas all the time.
JL_SS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2008, 08:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

As you add more regular gas, the MDX front will slowly become more squarish, the grill will also become more pentagonal, the "A" legs will separate to form an "H", the third row will expand to 3 seats, the rear will become more boxy, you will lose the ELS, the warranty will shorten by 12 months, you will lose the HIDs, other SUVs will start passing you without mercy on the interstate and finally, one day you will wake up to see this in your garage:

No biggie. I've had to do that occasionally on my 07 and a lot on my 01.
Old 10-11-2008, 03:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:

The consequence would have been that you would have paid less for gas. I used to get a tank of "high test" and then a tank of regular. Quit that three years ago. Now just use regular. No consequence.

G
Old 10-11-2008, 03:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

Re: Re: Using Regular Gas

Quote:
Originally posted by G. COLTON

The consequence would have been that you would have paid less for gas. I used to get a tank of "high test" and then a tank of regular. Quit that three years ago. Now just use regular. No consequence.

G
I used to have a 2002 and high test was "recommended". With the 2008, it is "required".
Old 10-11-2008, 07:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

if you have the situation you were in with a gas shortage, its ok since it was mixed gas, 10 gallons of 93 and 5 of 87, that should average out close to 91 octane. Thats good enough for the mdx since 91 is the highest stuff available in some states. If you were running purely on 87, there would be a few issues. TO avoid these keep the car reving low to avoid damage.

2006 BMW 760Li - Alpine White/Ebony-Ivory Two Tone
l Fully Loaded l

2007 MDX Sport/Ent. - NGM/Taupe
l Crossbars + Roof Rails l Front + Rear Garnish l Auto Day-Night Mirror l All Season Mats l

2004 TL NAVI Auto - SSM/Quartz
l Comptech Swaybarl Hacked Navl Carputer W/ Factory Navl TV+NAV2Gol USA-SPECl DVD Playerl Switchblade KeylRB Slotted Rotorsl A-Spec Brakesl
csmeance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2008, 09:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by dj-mdx2
As you add more regular gas, the MDX front will slowly become more squarish, the grill will also become more pentagonal, the "A" legs will separate to form an "H", the third row will expand to 3 seats, the rear will become more boxy, you will lose the ELS, the warranty will shorten by 12 months, you will lose the HIDs, other SUVs will start passing you without mercy on the interstate and finally, one day you will wake up to see this in your garage:

ahahaaa!
sblue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2008, 09:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to brydon Send a message via Yahoo to brydon
moderator - this is in the wrong forum. Please move to 2001-2006 MDX forum.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by brydon
moderator - this is in the wrong forum. Please move to 2001-2006 MDX forum.
how is it in the wrong section he has an 08????

2006 BMW 760Li - Alpine White/Ebony-Ivory Two Tone
l Fully Loaded l

2007 MDX Sport/Ent. - NGM/Taupe
l Crossbars + Roof Rails l Front + Rear Garnish l Auto Day-Night Mirror l All Season Mats l

2004 TL NAVI Auto - SSM/Quartz
l Comptech Swaybarl Hacked Navl Carputer W/ Factory Navl TV+NAV2Gol USA-SPECl DVD Playerl Switchblade KeylRB Slotted Rotorsl A-Spec Brakesl
csmeance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2008, 10:22 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to brydon Send a message via Yahoo to brydon
Quote:
Originally posted by csmeance

how is it in the wrong section he has an 08????
Doh! I only read the first part of his signature! You're dead right.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:27 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by dj-mdx2

That sh*t is funny !!!!

kingmdx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2008, 04:26 AM   #12 (permalink)

You shouldnt be too concerned. I regularly run a mid grade fuel and sometimes regular fuel with out a drastic difference in performance. The milage does seem to be affected. The engines ecm will compensate for the lower octane in the fuel depending on your driving style. For example if you are passing on the highway and demanding more power from the engine and it begins to knock due to the lower octane fuel, the ecm will retard the timing to stop the knocking. Therefore putting out less HP and burning more fuel to maintain the same speed. The MDX has a high compression engine designed to run at peak performance on 91 octane. If you happen to put a lower octane fuel in the tank you probably won't notice a difference in daily driving performance. If you are rally driving it with regular fuel you probably will notice a difference and possibly cause damage to the engine. Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:38 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:

Not a big deal. The consequence is you will get less power and probably lower gas mileage. This is because the engine computer will retard the spark timing when it senses detonation.

07 MDX sport
07 Specialized Tarmac
09 Brompton M3L-X
09 Ritchey Breakaway/SRAM Force
adr5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: