2003 MDX Tranny is going..... - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 07-29-2011, 04:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

2003 MDX Tranny is going.....

Oh I mean it's going ....

Had couple incidents that when I put in D5, the car just wouldn't move at all. I need either put it back to P or shift it to lower gears and back to get engagement. Other than this, nothing seems wrong with the tranny.

The frequency of this seems going higher. Couple months ago it's like once per 2-3 months. Now it's like once per month or even higher.

Anyone knows what is the culprit? I would like to fix it asap. Thanks.
proman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2011, 12:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

Transmission slipping??

Did you bring it to a transmission place for an assessment??
2003 Acura MDX Touring (Sold) hit by another vehicle
Will4271 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2011, 04:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

Ok, the tranny is acting up more and more frequently. Most of the time in the morning when first started.

I am just wondering if this has anything to do with the tranny filter. If it's clogged, will that casue the valve pressure drop and loose the ability to engage the clutch?

And it's still the same, if I put it into 1 or P and back to D, problem solved.

So, anyone got a solution already?
Old 01-02-2012, 01:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

Anyone? Am I alone with this problem ?
Old 01-02-2012, 01:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

Tranny problem??

How many miles on the car? Has tranny fluid ever been changed? When was last change? You might try a 3 quart change with the new fluid from Honda (Cheaper at your Honda dealer, if you ask). If it continues it's time for a "professional" evaluation. Get back to us for additional assistance if needed, and good luck!
ROTORRAY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 02:38 AM   #6 (permalink)

After more than one year, my X is still alive.

I visited the dealer I bought the car, but from the service manager to the service advisers all played idiot and claimed they never heard the tranny problem. And since the car is out warranty already, the dealer won't even give me a quote without "servicing" my car first. And I was told that the chance Acura will step up to help is slim.

I contacted Acura NA, but the customer rep also played idiot, claimed the she is not aware of this problem and told me to bring the car to dealer to confirm the problem. Then start from there. So if even the Acura NA doesn't know about the problem, how could I trust their dealer???

Ok, fine. I visited couple tranny shops, almost all of them told me what could be wrong, and they all said it's a famous problem for MDX. One shop told me they have fixed hundreds of MDX. The price, from $2500 to $4000.

I did some research and pin pointed the failed component. The slippage happened couple time per day when when it was at the worst time. I was getting ready to tear the tranny apart to replace the sprag.

But, for some reason, the tranny gradually heals itself. Now the slippage rarely happens.

Since I know what it takes to fix the problem, I am not too worry about it and I will keep an eye on it. I know I probably will have do it someday.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:07 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

So you're saying to fix the problem you do nothing? Kind of confused as to what you actually did. Did you change the fluid at all?

02 Honda S2000 -- Berlina Black/Black
99 Acura RL -- Naples Gold Metallic/Parchment
12 Toyota Avalon Limited
phins2rt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 11:42 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by proman View Post
I visited the dealer I bought the car, but from the service manager to the service advisers all played idiot and claimed they never heard the tranny problem.
So they "played idiot" because they didn't experience a problem that you claim "rarely happens"?

Quote:
I was told that the chance Acura will step up to help is slim.
On an eight-year-old car that's been out of warranty for at least four years, did you expect otherwise?

Quote:
I visited couple tranny shops, almost all of them told me what could be wrong, and they all said it's a famous problem for MDX. One shop told me they have fixed hundreds of MDX. The price, from $2500 to $4000.
They're all probably thinking of the tranny problem that afflicted the 2001-2002 MDX, not the 2003.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phins2rt View Post
Did you change the fluid at all?
That's a good question. The whole reason for changing the fluid is to prevent problems. Don't do it, and you're asking for trouble. Interesting that this question still hasn't been answered...
Old 02-07-2013, 12:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

Proman,

Thanx for sharing ur experience. Damn, u should let us know ur experience earlier.

My X got the trans problem u described 2 year ago. I am pretty handy but have no experience with the AT and don't have time time to dig in deep like you. So I took it to a dealer, yep, the SA first denied there exists or he ever heard of any known issues for the trans. The mechanic later told me it's probably the clutch, just like u said. But the dealer is not allowed to repair it, they can only replace the whole thing.

The car was way out of warranty, and I performed most of the maintenance and repairs by myself, so I think Acura won't even consider making a case for me. So I would like to take the car to some indy shops. But I got lucky, Acura agreed to cover the parts and 50% labor. I know some other people got denied with any coverage, and some got more or less covered, like me. I believe Acura considers this kind of issues case by case. Don't know what's their criteria.

Not sure if u tried to replace the trans fluid. DON'T DO THAT!!! It has nothing to do with this problem. In fact, this was what the dealer did first, only made the situation much worse. Before, the problem was only intermittent. After the fluid change, the car just wouldn't take off at all. I am not sure why, I think the new fluid has better lubrication ability and makes the clutch slips all the time.

Good luck with ur X and please keep us updated.

Quote:
After more than one year, my X is still alive.

I visited the dealer I bought the car, but from the service manager to the service advisers all played idiot and claimed they never heard the tranny problem. And since the car is out warranty already, the dealer won't even give me a quote without "servicing" my car first. And I was told that the chance Acura will step up to help is slim.

I contacted Acura NA, but the customer rep also played idiot, claimed the she is not aware of this problem and told me to bring the car to dealer to confirm the problem. Then start from there. So if even the Acura NA doesn't know about the problem, how could I trust their dealer???

Ok, fine. I visited couple tranny shops, almost all of them told me what could be wrong, and they all said it's a famous problem for MDX. One shop told me they have fixed hundreds of MDX. The price, from $2500 to $4000.

I did some research and pin pointed the failed component. The slippage happened couple time per day when when it was at the worst time. I was getting ready to tear the tranny apart to replace the sprag.

But, for some reason, the tranny gradually heals itself. Now the slippage rarely happens.

Since I know what it takes to fix the problem, I am not too worry about it and I will keep an eye on it. I know I probably will have do it someday.
2008 BMW 750Li
2003 MDX Navi
2000 Sienna LX
1992 Accord EX, 205k, Strong
1992 Accord LX, 226k, Strong, Retired, Parting Out
1988 Camry, Sold
1982 Accord, Sold
1978 Toronado, Junked
richkuan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 12:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by richkuan View Post
Thanx for sharing ur experience. Damn, u should let us know ur experience earlier.
Wow, that post is virtually unreadable. mdxers is an internet forum where you ought to be posting in English, not a place for cellphone texting abbreviations. This post sounds like my eight-year-old niece texting with her classmates in the third grade!
Old 02-08-2013, 03:38 PM   #11 (permalink)

Thanks Rich.

I know it has nothing to do with the tranny oil, though it's always people's first response. I just would like to see if I can find someone here with some real experiences and know what is really going on. And can offer me some professional opinions on taking the tranny apart.

I did dig deep to find the actual part that failed, not just the assy. The replacement part is only about $16. But you need to tear the tranny apart, and down to the earth especially for the 1st clutch. I don't think anyone here ever did that, but just hope. That's the purpose of this forum.

I heard many different stories on Acura coverage on out of warranty vehicles. That's why I talked to the dealer. But I wasn't as lucky as you. I also did all the maintenance myself, why Acura covers you but not me?????

New tranny oil makes the situation worse. Hmm, that's a good point. Never thought about that. But it's a good reasoning. Next time when I replace the tranny oil, I will keep an eye on it to see if the problem comes back.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:13 PM   #12 (permalink)

Proman, did any CEL codes come up over the years ? Usually that's a harbinger of (bad) things to come.

My former vehicle was a 2001 Odyssey that experienced transmission problems after 11 years... but they eventually manifested in both slipping and check-engine-light warnings...

Unfortunately most dealers and shops I went to claimed they'd have to tear apart the AT to determine 100% what the fault is -- the good news was it imminently fixable - the bad news it was between $3000 and $4000... secondary bad news was no one could guarantee I wouldn't be stranded with a AT that wouldn't go into gear - sounds like you've been lucky on that account...
Old 02-08-2013, 07:03 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks Rich.

I know it has nothing to do with the tranny oil, though it's always people's first response. I just would like to see if I can find someone here with some real experiences and know what is really going on. And can offer me some professional opinions on taking the tranny apart.

I did dig deep to find the actual part that failed, not just the assy. The replacement part is only about $16. But you need to tear the tranny apart, and down to the earth especially for the 1st clutch. I don't think anyone here ever did that, but just hope. That's the purpose of this forum.

I heard many different stories on Acura coverage on out of warranty vehicles. That's why I talked to the dealer. But I wasn't as lucky as you. I also did all the maintenance myself, why Acura covers you but not me?????

New tranny oil makes the situation worse. Hmm, that's a good point. Never thought about that. But it's a good reasoning. Next time when I replace the tranny oil, I will keep an eye on it to see if the problem comes back.

If u ended up with actually tearing it down (I really hope u don't have to), will u please take some photos or video tape it and share with us? I read ur other posts, looks like u really know cars. Ur opinions are cut right into the point and u can do very difficult repair, but u don't post a lot.

The MDX trans problem is so famous but available in-depth info is so rare. If u can let us pick ur brain more often or post more info, that would help us a lot. TIA.
2008 BMW 750Li
2003 MDX Navi
2000 Sienna LX
1988 Camry, Sold
1982 Accord, Sold
1978 Toronado, Junked
Old 02-09-2013, 11:17 PM   #14 (permalink)

Leaffan, no CEL ever comes on. I think there is no error code for that kind of problem. I took my X to couple shops that can fix it, they all wanted 3000 - 4500. I was told they are going to do an "upgrade" on my X, but wouldn't tell me the details about the "upgrade".

So after I researched myself, I know what is going on and I know what it takes to go around it or repair it. So I have peace in mind and didn't have time to do the repair.

And, as I mentioned, the problem rarely happens lately, it looks like the tranny is healing itself. Maybe it's what Richkuan said, the fluid got old and the lubrication capability is not so good and the slip doesn't happen easily.

Rich, thanks for your compliment. You yourself is an expert too. But looks like you didn't post for a looong time. We will benefit from your knowledge too.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:07 AM   #15 (permalink)

I didn't come back here for some time cause I got a new toy to play with
2008 BMW 750Li
2003 MDX Navi
2000 Sienna LX
1988 Camry, Sold
1982 Accord, Sold
1978 Toronado, Junked
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: