Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

04-06 Trans/TC Failure Thread

159K views 577 replies 132 participants last post by  StruckGold 
#1 ·
The 01-02 trans has always been a topic. It seems like the trans/TC issues have sprung up on a few of the 2004-2006 models. I'd like to track these issues. I'll adapt this thread as it progresses to make it as useful as possible. If anything needs to be added or changed, please let me know. This is here to help everyone.

Symptoms - lugging/vibration/rumble strip feeling when driving from between 35-45mph.
Resolution - Torque Converter replacement/ trans replacement. **NEW** PCM Update for 05-06 MDX.

***NOTES***

10/18/2010 - A few members have received a letter from Acura recalling certain 05-06 MDXS for a PCM Update to correct the judder.
http://www.mdxers.org/forums/73-200...pdate-lock-up-clutch-function.html#post472187
For the majority, this fixes the issue.

A few members have reported that driving in D4 around town and shifting up to D5 for highway use eliminated the shuddering. This only conceals/avoids the issue, but it works. In D4 it keeps the transmission from dipping too low in the rpms, which causes the lugging.

5 members have had a 2nd replacement. 3 members have updated their report with no issues thus far.

If you have issues, please complete this form,
List model year.
Date/Mileage of failure.
Current mileage.
Symptoms.
Corrective action.
Current status of trans. How does it feel?
And cost, if any or $0.
Warranty, if you received one.

For all others who have had zero issues and have logged greater than 60k miles.
Please put "NO FAILURE"
List year.
Current mileage.
Maintanence.

Total failures = 65 **This number is only the ones who had trans/TC replacement.

2004 = 17
flynn(45k)
qinyf (45k)
bone324(50k)
jowardb(55k)
nymdx04(56k)
sharpee2(63k)
aflygirl(67k)
MDXfin(71k)
lland(72k)
wilmaflintstone(83k)
kggs(84k)
KansasCityMDXer(92k)
jreidg3(95k)
nickstl77(96k)
VirginiaDream(99k)
blkblkblk04MDX (103k)
newtotheroad(138k)

2005 = 37
kooltacos(35k)
JCastro(39k)
RN7676(42k)
jwkall (44k)
shbtopdog(44k)
anfang_ja(45k)(63k)
shishmee (45k)
rgp2005mdx(47k)
1stTimeSUV( 47k)
mdxflexspeed (48k)
acuramdxman (48k)
joysbox (49k)
maohaohan (49k)
dc78_mdx(49k)
henryleung(53k)
Mommamobile (53k)
krnl4life (53k)
arparp(55k)
2nd MDX (56k)
Ibjamn(56k)
gramagy(60k)
dr33m(61k)
tony123(63k)
shankoot(65k)
rdmelton(66k)
skelley3(67k)
ranchuk(76k)
markd75(79k)
pianoman41 (80k)
jordanp17(80k)
mikeinde(81k)
ryan43110(82k)
JeannetteC(93k)
IllinoisREI(99k)
Socct L(99k)
JCagle24(108k)
ckamps(130k)

2006 = 11
willie_z(15k)
kkauto(31k)
yot(37k)
rasMDX(52k)
praXis(55k)
dwhornik(60k)
CrappyMDXTC(66k)
TraderAlex(67k)
spring1(67k)
zoinks(68k)
rotzy(95k)

PCM update Fixed issue= 10 ***This number represents symptoms and PCM update fixed their issue.
Tygger (06)54k
daveog(06)97k
hokiefyd 05 56k
carguy07 06 ??
molarface 05 58k
shaqdeez ???
pianoman41 05 130k?
jean d 05 ???
Wish4MDX 05 69k
Scott L 05 99k

PCM update. Still issues. = 4
hds504(05-73k) PCM update 12-16-10 115k, still low lugging.
crappyMDX 06 PCM update - still growling from a stop
JeannetteC 06 PCM update - still lugging slightly. replace TC.
cmui78 06 92k PCM Update - still lugging slightly.

No symptoms - PCM updated. = 6
CDLVancouver 05 137k
2MDX4Now(06)85k
MDXAnyone(06)69k
clos8(05)?
DWF 05 61k
SBM MDX 06 ???

Watch list - exhibiting symptoms
cardfan930 (05-50k)
eubromdx(04-66k)
njmdx73(05-57k)
thebicman(?)
rod1105(04-70k)
pendu(?)
jazztbone(57k)
RallyD(60k)
asher454(06-81k)
snookums(04)-100k now 125k
dc1225(06)71k

Updates after Trans/TC replacement.
NO ISSUES
RN7676 (42k) 7-29-10 21k
acuramdxman (48k) 6-09-10 30k
pianoman41 (80k) 1-25-11 60k PCM Update made it feel smoother.

ISSUES
Anfang_ja(45k) 02-02-10 20k TC needs replacing again.
skelley3(67k) 8-10-10 6k TC needs replacing again.
tony123(63k) 11-28-10 12k TC needs replacing again.
mikeinde(111k)9-5-10 30k TC needs replacing again
ranchuk(76k)12-14-10 22k TC needs replacing again.
zoinks(101k)10-11-10 29k issue at 95k... pending action.
kooltacos(30k)12-16-10 25k rumbling again. PCM update made it worse.
bone324(50k) 2-21-11 27k tran replaced again.
lland(72k) 4-15-11 16k TC replaced again

See less See more
#449 ·
Because your '06's powertrain warranty ran out at 70,000, hopefully they can do a goodwill.

#450 ·
I am at the mcgrath acura now. I called acura client services they kept referring me to dealership. I go to dealer ask them about goodwill they said this recall "fixes" the problem. In his words, "In his 10 years, they've never replaced a tc due to judder". So looks like they re only going to do the pcm software update. I asked about the damage which has been done already to the tc he said they run "diagnostics" that ll catch if tc is bad. I am deathly afraid that I am going to have to replace my tc down the road and considering 3rd party ext warranty. I am very livid but have no one to be livid at but myself I guess.

#454 ·
2004 T/C and Transmission failure

Model year: 2004.
Milage at failure: early 80K.
Current milage: 92,400.
Symptoms: "rumble sound" between 30-35 mph, especially uphill.
Corrective action: Took it on an early occassion and they didn't find anything wrong. Took it in for my 90K work and they said the T/C and transmission were in need of replacement, a couple engine mounts were cracked and needed replaced, and my starter was nearly shot.
Current status of trans. How does it feel? I'll let you know when I get it back on Tuesday.
And cost, if any or $0: Quoted $5500 to replace all by dealership. They were nice enough to offer $1500 off. After I asked the service manager to contact Acura, he called the next day and said I would only be responsible for $2200 and Acura would pick up the rest.
Warranty, if you received one. 3 year/36,000

Very pleased with the result, given this car is past warrenty. This is my 3rd Acura, and I drove the other 2 with over 150K without a hint of trouble. I mentioned this website, the service bulletin, and my loyality to the service manager. Maybe that helped, or maybe it was all the service manager. Either way, I think its a great deal. Plus, they have thrown in a loaner car (2011 RDX) for the 5 days.

#467 ·
I just had my TC replaced under warranty. FYI, 06 warranty runs til 73500 due to lawsuit. It runs fine now but I can still hear the transmission whining/whistling/ which probably will end up being another shuttering noise down the road, very disappointing.

Where can I buy a 3rd party aftermarket extended warranty from? got a quote from carchex good til 130k miles for $2100

#470 ·
If there is still an issue, bring it back to the dealer to fix it. When they replace it under warranty, it still needs to function properly. If it is whistling and/or whining, they need to make it right.

A lot of these third party warranty companies go out of business. $2100 is about half a tranny replacement. I'd rather put that in an interest earning investment to be used only if needed. Then if you don't need it, you've saved $2100+.

#487 ·
Hi guys. I'm still considering buying an MDX but trying to read through 33 pages and get the info I need is hard.

So is it mostly the 05/06 that has this trans/TC failure more than other years? Should I be leaning more toward an 04, or would regular fluid changes and driving in D4 keep this from happening in the 05/06?

This issue is on my checklist when I go to look at a car. Glad I found it.

#488 ·
Hi guys. I'm still considering buying an MDX but trying to read through 33 pages and get the info I need is hard.

So is it mostly the 05/06 that has this trans/TC failure more than other years? Should I be leaning more toward an 04, or would regular fluid changes and driving in D4 keep this from happening in the 05/06?

This issue is on my checklist when I go to look at a car. Glad I found it.
Natedogg, I'd strongly advise against purchasing an MDX. I was exactly in same boat as you. Researched, saw tranny problems and thought it ain't gonna happen to me. I bought an 06 because most problems I read were about 04 and 05 and I ended up having the problem on my 06. I like the older model because of the 3rd row seating but if I had to do it again, I'd probably would not purchase any 01-06 MDX, period. MDX's tranny's are hit and miss. If you still insisting on buying MDX, I strongly advise you to buy one that is Acura Certified(which would have to be 06) or anything that has any kind of warranty on transmission.

#490 ·
The 05 seem to have the highest concentration in the sampling here, but who knows what real world numbers are. Only 60+ reported here. Thats nothing. And thats reported over a two year period. Theres probably a ton of people who dont have issues and never report that. Always hear the bad and never the good. They just rolled out a PCM update recall for the 05-06. And this fixes the issue for most. And 04-06 dont have catastrophic failures like the 01-02. Its more of a rumbling like the rpms are too low for the gear. The update changes the shift points and eliminates the rumble.

#491 ·
Today I was driving my wifes 2003 MDX(132K miles) on the freeway at 65MPH and all of a sudden I heard a whining sound like when you rev the engine in neutral... Crap..... Pulled it over and it would not do anything but whine like it does in neutral. Before I had it towed to the nearest Acura dealer about 5 miles away, I did notice some red tranny fluid and a small puddle of green coolant under the front passenger side right before it was towed by flatbed.

Dealer actually told me when we dropped it off that he has not see too many tranny issues with MDX's... OK. LOL. Thought maybe I blew a hose.

This tranny has been perfect up until this happened. Shifted great since I purchased it new. ALWAYS did a drain and fill every 15K miles since new....

Tranny/TC replacement? How much does this cost? Thanks...

I let you guys know what happens. I over maintain all my vehicle so this is not a case of someone never changing the tranny fluid. Like I said, I have done it every 15K since purchased new...

#493 ·
This may not be pertinent to this most recent mdx tranny issue, but regarding the general tranny failure that MDX are prone to, has any one considered getting the tranny repaired at say AAMCO instead of replaced with a remanufactured tranny?

I am just curious if the tranny problem in the 01 - 03 and the TC problem in the 04 -06 is fixable.

thanks

#494 ·
I will let u guys know this afternoon what the verdict is. I hope the tranny is not RIP...

It would suck having to pay for the rad($900) and then whatever a new tranny would cost. If the tranny is fine after replacing the rad/coolant/tranny fluid, it may be time to trade it. Who knows how long the tranny will last after going through this.

When the tranny starts to fail, it just goes, right? No symptoms?

#496 ·
Just heard that the tranny is bad... Acura remanufactured tranny/TC is $3900 with a 3/36 warranty. The service manager is going to call Acura and see about a goodwill offer back to me. We shall see...

Amazing how many service people say that they do not see many MDX trannys fail. The radiator should never fail at these miles especially for a vehicle that has mostly all highway miles and stored inside...

#498 ·
Hey guys,

I have a 2005 Acura MDX with 69k miles and experienced "the jitter".

I went to my local dealership and had them do the transmission reflash and it fixed the problem.

I noticed two changes with the update.

1. Transmission shift points have been changed/held at different rpms. I’ve noticed that the rpms are held about 300-500rpm higher around that 35 to 45mph area. This is the area I had issues with before.
I don’t notice the chattering or transmission hunting that I had before. It feels more in line (based on other cars that I own) as to where it should be in the rpm range at those speeds. Definitely an improvement IMO.
I do hope with the higher rpm that I won’t have worse gas mileage. Not sure…

2. It seems that the actual gear shifting is smoother than before. Perception.

#499 ·
New poster! Need advice.

List model year. 2005
Date/Mileage of failure. Bought 1/2010 w/ 82,000 mi. Noticed soon after.
Current mileage. 93,000
Symptoms. Juddering during low speed accellerations. D4 reduced symptoms, so I used that for weeks/months. Then I read that D5 is better. So I switched back and symptoms became a nagging problem.
Corrective action. Software update. Torc Converter replacement.
Current status of trans. How does it feel? It's still in the shop.
And cost, if any or $0. $0
Warranty, if you received one. After-market Zurich warranty is covering TC and more (see below).

Here's another post I made today, before finding this thread:
"Here's the story.
I bought my '05 MDX in Jan 2010, with about 82,000 miles.
I began experiencing transmission 'juddering' within a few months. I had my mechanic take a look in the summer but he couldn't find anything. I had planned on taking it back to him again, this time with me driving and forcing the problem to happen. It always occured about 25-30 mph with accelleration. I had a certified warranty, so I was praying it would be covered and that I didn't buy a lemon!
In fall 2010 I received the letter from Acura: take it to a dealer for software update to correct juddering. I was thrilled...the problem would be solved.
Had update done first week of Jan 2011. It improved problem yet I still had some symptoms (by the way I did notice a 1-mph drop after update). I tend to be heavy on the accellerator, so I didn't get the juddering much after the update. But when my daughter drove (drivers permit only, and she drives SLOW), it would happen all the time.
Back to the dealer. Tech drove with me so I could trigger problem again. He instantly knew it was the Torc Converter.
Here's one issue: they are having my (third party) warranty cover the torc converter repair. Based on other posts, the Torc converter seems to be related to the PCM update. Shouldn't Acura be covering this? Are they being sneeky by doing it this way? And if they're dishonest about this, what are they not telling me?
Here's the other, BIG issue. When they went in to do Torc repair, I also asked them to do the yearly inspection and an oil change. In the process of one of those things, they broke my motor mount. A bolt was seized and something cracked.
They've had my MDX for about a week now, and it will be another week at least. They have to get the body shop involved - I think it's to fix motor mount. I'm going to the mgr today to ask a few more questions.
Should I be concerned? Thoughts? What would you ask"

Another question: when would the motor mount have broken? During TC replacement? They told me I needed it for inspection, but never said why.

Thank you in advance!

#504 ·
Got it back on Thursday and the tranny seemed very smooth. Drove it for a few hours Friday and thought I would check everything out Saturday morning. Noticed that the tranny fluid looked good and was right at the full level. Then checked the radiator overflow bottle and saw that the coolant was very dark almost black-should be clean blue coolant... Oh nuts. Then took the radiator cap of and saw a very brown/red gunk thick fluid under the cap. Guessing that they obviously did not flush out sufficiently all the tranny/coolant mix when the old radiator tranny/cooler let go that caused the original tranny to fail.

I have a call in and hopefully they will take it in Monday and finally flush out ALL the crud and get it right... I am hoping they did not ruin anything by not flushing it enough. They stated on the invoice that it was flushed several times but I seem to doubt that... Can I drive this MDX without causing more damage?

Could anything get ruined by me driving this vehicle? Could the heater core and new radiator be ruined? Any engine/coolant seals be messed up because of the tranny fluid in the coolant passages? Any way to make sure they clean this clean out right? Thanks...

P.S. The D5 light on the dash does not light up when in gear. All the other gear lights work. Now what?

#506 ·
Total bill was just under $3K for the tranny and radiator replacement. Have to go back though because they did not do a good job flushing out the old tranny fluid that got into to the cooling system. Looked yesterday and the overflow bottle coolant is very dark redish blck. It was Blue when I left the dealer because I looked under the hood before I left. I guess with a few hours of new driving since pickup, more old tranny/coolant fluid surface in the overflow tank. Bunch of crud under the new radiator cap too. Back to the dealer I go. Oh well.

Otherwise, the dealer and Acura treated me very well...

#509 ·
List model year.

Date/Mileage of failure.
50k, then again at 77k on rebuilt one

Current mileage.

Symptoms.
transmission totally failed in busy traffic, 4-wheel skid off roadway

Corrective action.
1st one replaced with rebuilt on from extended warranty, 2nd rebuilt by company who sold it to us. Corrective action by me at this point is to never buy an Acura again in my lifetime.

In the shop. Felt fine prior to exploding.

And cost, if any or $0.
Zero (except price of warranty). Luckily we had an extended warranty through Geico. Acura paid for nothing.

3 years on rebuilt tranny from rebuilder.

#510 ·
List model year.

Date/Mileage of failure.
50k, then again at 77k on rebuilt one

Current mileage.

Symptoms.
transmission totally failed in busy traffic, 4-wheel skid off roadway

Corrective action.
1st one replaced with rebuilt on from extended warranty, 2nd rebuilt by company who sold it to us. Corrective action by me at this point is to never buy an Acura again in my lifetime.

In the shop. Felt fine prior to exploding.

And cost, if any or $0.
Zero (except price of warranty). Luckily we had an extended warranty through Geico. Acura paid for nothing.

3 years on rebuilt tranny from rebuilder.
geico sells extended warranty? I was not aware. I am planning on purchasing a extended warranty as well from Carchex to last me through my car loan period. That's a pretty solid corrective action of which I am doing the same. It is unfortunately because I loved acura but not after this incident, NO MAS...At least you were smart enough to get the warranty and didn't have to pay anymore out of pocket. Good luck!

#516 ·
on third tranmission

I bought a certified 04 MDX with 43,000 miles in 06 from Acura Dealer. Got new transmission 12/6/97 at 68,775 (paid for under extended Acura Warranty) and have now been told I need another transmission at 150,000 miles. I can't seem to get more than 82,000 miles before a replacement. I will hear today if Honda/Acura will pay part of the cost. This is my third Acura ( 2 RLs) but it may be my last.

#517 ·
I bought a certified 04 MDX with 43,000 miles in 06 from Acura Dealer. Got new transmission 12/6/97 at 68,775 (paid for under extended Acura Warranty) and have now been told I need another transmission at 150,000 miles. I can't seem to get more than 82,000 miles before a replacement. I will hear today if Honda/Acura will pay part of the cost. This is my third Acura ( 2 RLs) but it may be my last.
Yeah, I have owned 3 Hondas prior to my MDX. This single issue with Acura really soured me on the whole Acura/Honda reputation for reliability. I was considering the new MDX as a replacement, along with a few other options. I ended up getting something else. Needless to say, the reliability issue lessened the appeal of the Acura.

#518 ·
Just picked the MDX up from the dealer for the 2nd TC replacement. First was at approx. 72,000 this one was right at 88,000. Started hearing the "speed bumps" again and figured I'd get it checked out before my AcuraCare contract expires in August. Covered under AcuraCare (again). Also got a new starter and drivers seat heater grid under AcuraCare. Paid for oil change and rear brakes (first time) though.

List model year. 2004
Date/Mileage of failure. 4/14/11 - 88,000
Current mileage. 88,016
Symptoms. "Speed Bumps" (but not as loud as last time)
Corrective action. Dealer replaced TC
Current status of trans. How does it feel? So far so good (15 miles)
And cost, if any or $0. $0 - AcuraCare
Warranty, if you received one. AcuraCare paid, not sure what the actual coverage on the replacement is (90 days, 1 yr?)

LL

#520 ·
2003 MDX Second TC and no help from Acura

TC replaced with new factory unit at 130K, Acura picked up a portion of the bill. Cost me $1,700. Now 30K and 18 mos. later at 160K making the classic 35mph shutter/rumble, they are saying no help.

Talked to customer service supervisor she says too old. I said 30K on a factory new TC is not acceptable....... Any suggestions?????

#523 ·
TC replaced with new factory unit at 130K, Acura picked up a portion of the bill. Cost me $1,700. Now 30K and 18 mos. later at 160K making the classic 35mph shutter/rumble, they are saying no help.

Talked to customer service supervisor she says too old. I said 30K on a factory new TC is not acceptable....... Any suggestions?????
Did they apply any new TSB (PCM update)?

They replaced TC on mine and later there was a PCM update, after the update any thing above 45mph speed it sticks rpm between 1800 to 2000, before it used to oscillate in the range of 1200 to 1600 rpm.

If not wrong this may solve recurring TC problem but you may get less gas mileage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.