04-06 Trans/TC Failure Thread - Page 37 - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:23 PM   #541 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrappyMDXTC View Post
It's doing it again on the new converter. I haven't extensively tested it but I felt it and my wife said it was doing it as well. Gonna do spark plugs first and then see if their latest program fixes it. Anyone have any luck getting them to replace one that had already had an issue and been replaced under warranty? There is an out of warranty "goodwill consideration" section on the service bulletin, hoping they come good on it or I will be a bit frustrated.
There is typically a warranty on repair work (the labor). The dealer provides this warranty, so terms can vary.

Honda parts also come with a warranty, and I think it's usually 12 months and there may be a mileage provision too.

I recommend taking it in as soon as you can, and seeing what they can do for you. Given that this was done so recently AND that it may be covered by the service or parts warranty AND your car is or was covered by a CPO warranty - you don't mention whether or not that has run out - I think there's an excellent chance they will cover any needed repair, even if your CPO warranty has run out. Give it a shot.
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 12:48 PM   #542 (permalink)

List model year: 2004
Date/Mileage of failure: 12/27/2012
Current mileage: 110,090 miles
Symptoms: shudders when at 25 - 40 mph when in D5
Corrective action: Dealer stated that they could replace the torque converter for $3,300 but that it is no guarantee to fix the problem for good. The master tech stated that replacing the torque converter fixes some, but not most. The shuddering is not harming the transmission, but it may get progressively worse. My current "fix" is to drive in D4 and shift into D5 whenever I get above 50 mph.
Current status of trans. How does it feel? It shudders regulary when between 25 - 40 mph when in D5.
And cost, if any or $0: No cost for the dealer diagnosis and estimate.
Warranty, if you received one. No warranty coverage provided

I just bought the car used last week and it did not shudder during the test drive - I did not research the issue until 2 days after the purchase when the shuddering occured while driving. DOH! It probably "failed" at an earlier milage, but since we bought it used, I cannot provide a definite answer.

I do not plan on spending the $3,300 anytime soon since the master tech stated that there is no guarantee that it will even fix the problem. We were looking at both the Honda Pilot and the Acura MDX - each one had advantages and disadvantages and we just happened to stumble across this particular MDX that was priced below market value. I guess the silver lining is that no matter which one we bought, it was probably going to have the shuddering issue, and at least the one we acquired was below market value.
mdx997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 01:02 PM   #543 (permalink)

So is the consensus preventative strategy still to drive in d4 as much as possible and change tranny oil more often?

jasguild
jasguild is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 12:33 PM   #544 (permalink)

List model year 2005
Date/Mileage of failure just purchased vehicle with 112,000 miles and problem was existing
Current mileage 115,000
Symptoms rumbling, jerking when in D5 at lower speeds (30-45 mph)
Corrective action PCM update performed at dealer
Current status of trans. How does it feel? much better
And cost, if any or $0. $75 (would have been free, but it is a U.S. car located in canada, so i will need to contact Acura USA to request reimbursement)
Warranty, if you received one none
jordon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 09:50 AM   #545 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdx997 View Post
Date/Mileage of failure: 12/27/2012
Current mileage: 110,090 miles
Symptoms: shudders when at 25 - 40 mph when in D5
Corrective action: Dealer stated that they could replace the torque converter for $3,300 but that it is no guarantee to fix the problem for good. The master tech stated that replacing the torque converter fixes some, but not most. The shuddering is not harming the transmission, but it may get progressively worse. My current "fix" is to drive in D4 and shift into D5 whenever I get above 50 mph.
Current status of trans. How does it feel? It shudders regulary when between 25 - 40 mph when in D5.
And cost, if any or $0: No cost for the dealer diagnosis and estimate.
Warranty, if you received one. No warranty coverage provided

I just bought the car used last week and it did not shudder during the test drive - I did not research the issue until 2 days after the purchase when the shuddering occured while driving. DOH! It probably "failed" at an earlier milage, but since we bought it used, I cannot provide a definite answer.

I do not plan on spending the $3,300 anytime soon since the master tech stated that there is no guarantee that it will even fix the problem. We were looking at both the Honda Pilot and the Acura MDX - each one had advantages and disadvantages and we just happened to stumble across this particular MDX that was priced below market value. I guess the silver lining is that no matter which one we bought, it was probably going to have the shuddering issue, and at least the one we acquired was below market value.
JUST AN FYI UPDATE:

On 1/8/2013 I installed a B&M external transmission filter [$34] with a Purolator L30001 filter [$4] and installed the unit at the exit of the transmission cooler. I also replaced the transmission fluid at this time:
* disconnect hose from transmission to cooler
* stick it in an empty 5 qt motor oil container
* start car until about 2 qts drains
* add 2 qts of new transmission fluid
* repeat using a total of 10 qts

It has been 7 weeks and about 1,400 miles and the transmission has not shuddered since the service. Prior to this service, it regularly shuddered when in D5 between 25-40 mph.

I simply replaced all of the vehicle's fluids since I acquired the vehicle used. I added the external filter just as an extra measure of precaution since the OEM transmission filter is internal. So far, the byproduct is that my particular transmission has stopped shuddering.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:59 AM   #546 (permalink)

Does anyone know why the 2004 model was not consider for the PCM update? Can I opt for the PCM update even if it was not offered for 2004 under warranty?
Old 02-26-2013, 10:22 AM   #547 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasguild View Post
Does anyone know why the 2004 model was not consider for the PCM update? Can I opt for the PCM update even if it was not offered for 2004 under warranty?

When I took my 2004 into the dealer back in December - right after I bought the vehicle used - they told me that it already had the PCM update. However, they did not clarify whether it had the update from the factory or if perhaps a previous dealer applied the update.

The dealer should be able to run a diagnostic and tell you if the PCM update is applied or not. If it is not, the dealer would probably be happy to take your money to apply it.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:54 PM   #548 (permalink)

Date/Mileage of failure: Noticed it about a year and a half ago (when I first started driving it), approx mileage was 68,000.

Current mileage: 75,626
Symptoms: "Shuttering" between 40-50 mph. I always described it as "the sound it makes when you drive on a grated shoulder". Little bit of a growl, little bit of a rumble.
Corrective action: My normal mechanic (who specializes in Acura/Honda vehicles) recommends a brand new transmission. He said there is a fundamental flaw in the design of the transmission. The dealership is recommending replacing the torque converter.
Current status of trans. How does it feel: Haven't gotten it fixed. Trying to decide if its worth it-Ive had more problems with this car than any other vehicle I've ever owned and ideally someone would steal it
And cost, if any: Acura has agreed to a 60/40 split on cost. The dealership quoted me 2500 to replace the TC.
Warranty, if you received one: If I have the TC replaced, they will warranty the part for 12 months.

I know this particular forum is more to track people who are having issues with their transmissions, but I do have some questions (as I am not as mechanically savvy as many of you). What's the worst that could happen if I don't have the TC replaced? Considering I've been driving with a bad one for a year and a half now, and who knows how long before I started driving that it actually failed (My husband drove it prior to me and his commute was less than 3 miles).

I will say that this is my last Acura/Honda vehicle ever. When I told them I wasnt happy that they weren't taking a greater responsibility for the failure of the TC, they replied "Well maybe if you took better care of your car it wouldn't have failed".
stiffaknee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2013, 04:09 PM   #549 (permalink)

Quote:
The dealer should be able to run a diagnostic and tell you if the PCM update is applied or not. If it is not, the dealer would probably be happy to take your money to apply it.
Are you suggesting, it may not be worth updating for the 2004 models? I cant help but wonder if 2004 was the cutoff meaning the only reason it did not get hte PCM update was its age rather than need.

Anyone else has any opinions on this?
Old 03-12-2013, 04:13 PM   #550 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffaknee View Post
When I told them I wasnt happy that they weren't taking a greater responsibility for the failure of the TC, they replied "Well maybe if you took better care of your car it wouldn't have failed".
Now thats sad! I have owned about the same number of hondas as Toyotas and granted (knock on wood) I have not had any major problems with my mdx yet, I do have a bunch of minor ones that suggests honda's quality is droppinng off.

Also I have to admit reading this thread makes me nervous espeically considering I use my MDX to tow my 2500 lb boat two or three times a month for a total of about 15 miles each time;
Old 03-12-2013, 07:03 PM   #551 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffaknee View Post

Date/Mileage of failure: Noticed it about a year and a half ago (when I first started driving it), approx mileage was 68,000.

Current mileage: 75,626
Symptoms: "Shuttering" between 40-50 mph. I always described it as "the sound it makes when you drive on a grated shoulder". Little bit of a growl, little bit of a rumble.
Corrective action: My normal mechanic (who specializes in Acura/Honda vehicles) recommends a brand new transmission. He said there is a fundamental flaw in the design of the transmission. The dealership is recommending replacing the torque converter.
Current status of trans. How does it feel: Haven't gotten it fixed. Trying to decide if its worth it-Ive had more problems with this car than any other vehicle I've ever owned and ideally someone would steal it
And cost, if any: Acura has agreed to a 60/40 split on cost. The dealership quoted me 2500 to replace the TC.
Warranty, if you received one: If I have the TC replaced, they will warranty the part for 12 months.

I know this particular forum is more to track people who are having issues with their transmissions, but I do have some questions (as I am not as mechanically savvy as many of you). What's the worst that could happen if I don't have the TC replaced? Considering I've been driving with a bad one for a year and a half now, and who knows how long before I started driving that it actually failed (My husband drove it prior to me and his commute was less than 3 miles).

I will say that this is my last Acura/Honda vehicle ever. When I told them I wasnt happy that they weren't taking a greater responsibility for the failure of the TC, they replied "Well maybe if you took better care of your car it wouldn't have failed".

Driving it with the shudder should not damage anything further according to my local Acura Master Technician.

The alternative to replacing the torque converter and/or transmission is to just drive in "D4" until you get above 50 mph and then slip it into "D5".

Who stated "Well maybe if you took better care of your car it wouldn't have failed"? That was the dealer? It is unfortunate that this was the response as the issue is a design flaw from Honda and not related to your maintenance schedule. I would not get "pissy" with them, but you should let the service department general manager, the dealership general manager and your sales person know that you were not happy with the response, and unless some things change [fill in the blank with the changes you want], you will not be buying another Acura from them. I am in sales [not cars], and if one of my customers told me that one of my support people pissed them off, I would definitely do something about it.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:09 PM   #552 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasguild View Post
Are you suggesting, it may not be worth updating for the 2004 models? I cant help but wonder if 2004 was the cutoff meaning the only reason it did not get hte PCM update was its age rather than need.

Anyone else has any opinions on this?

Based on the feedback from one of my local Acura Master Technicians ....... there is no guaranteed fix for the problem. Software does not fix the problem, nor does replacing hardware parts. Again, these are the words of an Acura Master Technician who also stated that he has performed the software updates and replaced hardware too.

$3,200 to $3,400 was more than I was willing to spend to replace a torque converter that "might" fix the problem.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:33 AM   #553 (permalink)

04-06 Trans/TC Failure Thread

Time to trade.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
boston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2013, 01:34 PM   #554 (permalink)

Quote:
JUST AN FYI UPDATE:

On 1/8/2013 I installed a B&M external transmission filter [$34] with a Purolator L30001 filter [$4] and installed the unit at the exit of the transmission cooler. I also replaced the transmission fluid at this time:
* disconnect hose from transmission to cooler
* stick it in an empty 5 qt motor oil container
* start car until about 2 qts drains
* add 2 qts of new transmission fluid
* repeat using a total of 10 qts

It has been 7 weeks and about 1,400 miles and the transmission has not shuddered since the service. Prior to this service, it regularly shuddered when in D5 between 25-40 mph.

I simply replaced all of the vehicle's fluids since I acquired the vehicle used. I added the external filter just as an extra measure of precaution since the OEM transmission filter is internal. So far, the byproduct is that my particular transmission has stopped shuddering.

The vehicle is up to its old bag of tricks and is shuddering again. Replacing the ATF bought me 10-12 weeks of normal operation.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:29 PM   #555 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightMDX View Post
The 05 seem to have the highest concentration in the sampling here, but who knows what real world numbers are. Only 60+ reported here. Thats nothing. And thats reported over a two year period. Theres probably a ton of people who dont have issues and never report that. Always hear the bad and never the good. They just rolled out a PCM update recall for the 05-06. And this fixes the issue for most. And 04-06 dont have catastrophic failures like the 01-02. Its more of a rumbling like the rpms are too low for the gear. The update changes the shift points and eliminates the rumble.
Is there a simple fix for the 2004? I have a midnight blue '04 with 130K. Same symptoms as described here. D4 seems to fix it, but just wish it worked like it used to.
NCReed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: