Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

04-06 Trans/TC Failure Thread

159K views 577 replies 132 participants last post by  StruckGold 
#1 ·
The 01-02 trans has always been a topic. It seems like the trans/TC issues have sprung up on a few of the 2004-2006 models. I'd like to track these issues. I'll adapt this thread as it progresses to make it as useful as possible. If anything needs to be added or changed, please let me know. This is here to help everyone.

Symptoms - lugging/vibration/rumble strip feeling when driving from between 35-45mph.
Resolution - Torque Converter replacement/ trans replacement. **NEW** PCM Update for 05-06 MDX.

***NOTES***

10/18/2010 - A few members have received a letter from Acura recalling certain 05-06 MDXS for a PCM Update to correct the judder.
http://www.mdxers.org/forums/73-200...pdate-lock-up-clutch-function.html#post472187
For the majority, this fixes the issue.

A few members have reported that driving in D4 around town and shifting up to D5 for highway use eliminated the shuddering. This only conceals/avoids the issue, but it works. In D4 it keeps the transmission from dipping too low in the rpms, which causes the lugging.

5 members have had a 2nd replacement. 3 members have updated their report with no issues thus far.

If you have issues, please complete this form,
List model year.
Date/Mileage of failure.
Current mileage.
Symptoms.
Corrective action.
Current status of trans. How does it feel?
And cost, if any or $0.
Warranty, if you received one.

For all others who have had zero issues and have logged greater than 60k miles.
Please put "NO FAILURE"
List year.
Current mileage.
Maintanence.

Total failures = 65 **This number is only the ones who had trans/TC replacement.

2004 = 17
flynn(45k)
qinyf (45k)
bone324(50k)
jowardb(55k)
nymdx04(56k)
sharpee2(63k)
aflygirl(67k)
MDXfin(71k)
lland(72k)
wilmaflintstone(83k)
kggs(84k)
KansasCityMDXer(92k)
jreidg3(95k)
nickstl77(96k)
VirginiaDream(99k)
blkblkblk04MDX (103k)
newtotheroad(138k)

2005 = 37
kooltacos(35k)
JCastro(39k)
RN7676(42k)
jwkall (44k)
shbtopdog(44k)
anfang_ja(45k)(63k)
shishmee (45k)
rgp2005mdx(47k)
1stTimeSUV( 47k)
mdxflexspeed (48k)
acuramdxman (48k)
joysbox (49k)
maohaohan (49k)
dc78_mdx(49k)
henryleung(53k)
Mommamobile (53k)
krnl4life (53k)
arparp(55k)
2nd MDX (56k)
Ibjamn(56k)
gramagy(60k)
dr33m(61k)
tony123(63k)
shankoot(65k)
rdmelton(66k)
skelley3(67k)
ranchuk(76k)
markd75(79k)
pianoman41 (80k)
jordanp17(80k)
mikeinde(81k)
ryan43110(82k)
JeannetteC(93k)
IllinoisREI(99k)
Socct L(99k)
JCagle24(108k)
ckamps(130k)

2006 = 11
willie_z(15k)
kkauto(31k)
yot(37k)
rasMDX(52k)
praXis(55k)
dwhornik(60k)
CrappyMDXTC(66k)
TraderAlex(67k)
spring1(67k)
zoinks(68k)
rotzy(95k)

PCM update Fixed issue= 10 ***This number represents symptoms and PCM update fixed their issue.
Tygger (06)54k
daveog(06)97k
hokiefyd 05 56k
carguy07 06 ??
molarface 05 58k
shaqdeez ???
pianoman41 05 130k?
jean d 05 ???
Wish4MDX 05 69k
Scott L 05 99k

PCM update. Still issues. = 4
hds504(05-73k) PCM update 12-16-10 115k, still low lugging.
crappyMDX 06 PCM update - still growling from a stop
JeannetteC 06 PCM update - still lugging slightly. replace TC.
cmui78 06 92k PCM Update - still lugging slightly.

No symptoms - PCM updated. = 6
CDLVancouver 05 137k
2MDX4Now(06)85k
MDXAnyone(06)69k
clos8(05)?
DWF 05 61k
SBM MDX 06 ???

Watch list - exhibiting symptoms
cardfan930 (05-50k)
eubromdx(04-66k)
njmdx73(05-57k)
thebicman(?)
rod1105(04-70k)
pendu(?)
jazztbone(57k)
RallyD(60k)
asher454(06-81k)
snookums(04)-100k now 125k
dc1225(06)71k

Updates after Trans/TC replacement.
NO ISSUES
RN7676 (42k) 7-29-10 21k
acuramdxman (48k) 6-09-10 30k
pianoman41 (80k) 1-25-11 60k PCM Update made it feel smoother.

ISSUES
Anfang_ja(45k) 02-02-10 20k TC needs replacing again.
skelley3(67k) 8-10-10 6k TC needs replacing again.
tony123(63k) 11-28-10 12k TC needs replacing again.
mikeinde(111k)9-5-10 30k TC needs replacing again
ranchuk(76k)12-14-10 22k TC needs replacing again.
zoinks(101k)10-11-10 29k issue at 95k... pending action.
kooltacos(30k)12-16-10 25k rumbling again. PCM update made it worse.
bone324(50k) 2-21-11 27k tran replaced again.
lland(72k) 4-15-11 16k TC replaced again

See less See more
#525 ·
List model year. 2004
Date/Mileage of failure. 6/20/11 - 137,000
Current mileage. 138,000
Symptoms. Whirring noise around 25mph with fluctuating rpm
Corrective action. Dealer replacing TC next week.
Current status of trans. How does it feel? TBD
And cost, if any or $0. $0 - Acura covering 75%
Warranty, if you received one. TBD

#526 ·
2005 99,000 miles
had the shudder problem, too, but received letter from acura and had tranny software updated at dealer at no cost. However, tonight the D5 light started blinking but reset it self after turning car off and then restarting. Major issue or maybe just a glitch?

#529 ·
Great info on this forum. thanks so much for all of your contributions!
After reading, it seems that my dad might be in some trouble here. he bought an 04 less than a year ago, not from an Acura dealer. He is having the TC issue, as he brought it to them and they said that's what he is going to need to fix the sound and issue. he has nearly 75K on his. They did NOT mention anything to him about a software issue so it looks like he might be stuck?? Any advice as to what else he can do about this? I'm not sure he's very excited about dropping the $3K+ on his vehicle, but he can't sell it like it is (and I'm not sure he'd even be able to get much on a trade in because of the sound the vehicle makes).
Once again, other than bringing up the tranny issues to the dealer is there any other advice that anyone can give or has anyone had any luck with other ways of lessening the blow?
Thanks!

#530 ·
2004 mdx

124,500 miles. Just began to notice the growl in 5th at very low speeds. Not sure taking it to the dealer will help, as it is clearly out of all warranty.

If I were to take it to the dealer, what should I ask for? A TSB and update?

Any recommended next steps?

Thanks.

#531 ·
124,500 miles. Just began to notice the growl in 5th at very low speeds. Not sure taking it to the dealer will help, as it is clearly out of all warranty.

If I were to take it to the dealer, what should I ask for? A TSB and update?

Any recommended next steps?

Thanks.
what year? The TSB is only for the 05 and 06 years I believe. My 04 has been doing the rumble for the last 10k miles (188k now). I just drive in d4 and manually put the car in d5 on the highway. See how long I can make it last.

#534 ·
2005 Touring "Rumble Strip" noise

First off, great site and thanks for putting this information together! I am sad to say that I have another MDX to add to the weird noise "rumble strip" thread.

I bought this '05 MDX in Feb 2011 with 105k and did about 1 month of research before I bought it. This Touring X came with the NAV and DVD (for the kids) and I knew I wanted one before I bought it. The mileage wasn't an issue for me b/c I saw so many others out there with 180k+ so I knew I had plenty of use left with it. Plus, my wife drives it and she only puts about 10k on any vehicle per year. Did I mention I live in Colorado? Perfect vehicle for our crazy weather!

Anyways, I only drive it periodically but I noticed this faint sound once or twice. I also have a Honda Ridgeline and I used to hear a similar sound from that vehicle that is caused by the power steering pump (which apparently is normal after starting out cold). However, I have noticed this sound has been happening more frequently and I can actually reproduce it now at will.

I have owned several manual sports cars in my time and I can liken this sound to when you are geared too high without downshifting. The RPMs are very low when this occurs, usually under 30MPH. If I have the X in D5 and touch the accelerator very lightly to increase speed it shudders. If I engage the accelerator more aggressively the tranny downshifts and all is well. So, I have told my wife to drive around town in D4 - which by the way solves all issues with this problem. I'm no mechanic, but I have come to the conclusion of many others in these posts that eliminating the symptom is the best course of action. Since I know I bought this vehicle without a warranty I was assuming all liability, but crappy feeling all the same since we love this car and it is perfect for our family. The last thing I want to do is shell out $$$$ for a car that we've only had for 8 months! Old car it may be, but new to us.

MidnightMDX Form:
Model Year: 2005 Touring NAV/RES
Date/Mileage of failure: 07-2011/107k
current mileage: 111k
Symptoms: As stated above - shuddering at low speed/rpm in D5 only. Like going up a hill in 5th gear and not downshifting, rumbling sound. It is repeatable by lightly engaging the throttle while in 5th gear at low RPM.
Corrective Action: Driving in D4 for now. However, planning a long haul at Christmas so looking at a service call before the trip to make sure everything is hunky-dory. Probably taking it to a local Import mechanic that works on my Honda Ridgeline.
Current status of transmission: Unknown if computer update has been performed as this was a used vehicle purchase. Tranny feels fine if driving in D4, D5 on highway.
Cost: 0$ so far, but not looking good after everything I've been reading.
Warranty: None

#535 ·
Muckslush, there is a service bulletin #09-037, transmission software update, you can get for free at the dealer. I have no idea if it helps or not, but it certainly can't hurt. I had it done at 100,383 after a notice in the mail. I'm at 115,000 with all systems go. I avoid the use of 5th for around-town driving.

#537 ·
I never asked the dealer that question, but they did perform the PCM update free of charge along with a wash. They were pretty nice about it all even though they gave me a laundry list of things that need fixed - namely the engine mounts have both failed. I read through this forum and have noticed that this is also a common problem that I will be getting fixed.

As for the rumbling in D5, this has disappeared. I test drove it after the dealer visit and I can't replicate it even though I used to at will. So, I'll give it some more time to test out, but so far so good.

Thanks for all the good info everyone!

#538 ·
Add one to the 06 TC count

Hello fellow MDXers,

My first post. Thanks to all you posters here, I was well informed when I got to the dealer.

List model year: 2006
Date/Mileage of failure: ~56k
Current mileage.: ~56k
Symptoms: Grinding/trans judder also vibration felt on steering 65mph and higher
Corrective action: New TC
Current status of trans. How does it feel? TBD next week
And cost, if any or $0: $0
Warranty, if you received one: Acura powertrain warranty

Question: The tech. mentioned that the vibration at higher speeds was also due to a bad TC. Is this true? Can someone explain why? Thanks much.

#540 ·
update

List model year. 2005
Date/Mileage of failure. 2009 June/86,000 km
Current mileage. 138,000km
Symptoms. Noise and vibration at ~40km/h, sometimes it felt like I was driving over some rough pavement but I was actually driving on smooth road, the engine seemed to be lugging.
Corrective action. Replaced Torque converter under warranty in 2009. Also updated PCM software in 2010.
Current status of trans. How does it feel? It feels great now (knock on wood).
And cost, if any or $0. Everything was under warranty, zero dollars.
Warranty, if you received one. CPO warranty

I've been paying the dealership to change the trans fluid regularly every 1 to 2 years.

#542 ·
List model year: 2004
Date/Mileage of failure: 12/27/2012
Current mileage: 110,090 miles
Symptoms: shudders when at 25 - 40 mph when in D5
Corrective action: Dealer stated that they could replace the torque converter for $3,300 but that it is no guarantee to fix the problem for good. The master tech stated that replacing the torque converter fixes some, but not most. The shuddering is not harming the transmission, but it may get progressively worse. My current "fix" is to drive in D4 and shift into D5 whenever I get above 50 mph.
Current status of trans. How does it feel? It shudders regulary when between 25 - 40 mph when in D5.
And cost, if any or $0: No cost for the dealer diagnosis and estimate.
Warranty, if you received one. No warranty coverage provided

I just bought the car used last week and it did not shudder during the test drive - I did not research the issue until 2 days after the purchase when the shuddering occured while driving. DOH! It probably "failed" at an earlier milage, but since we bought it used, I cannot provide a definite answer.

I do not plan on spending the $3,300 anytime soon since the master tech stated that there is no guarantee that it will even fix the problem. We were looking at both the Honda Pilot and the Acura MDX - each one had advantages and disadvantages and we just happened to stumble across this particular MDX that was priced below market value. I guess the silver lining is that no matter which one we bought, it was probably going to have the shuddering issue, and at least the one we acquired was below market value.

#545 ·
JUST AN FYI UPDATE:

On 1/8/2013 I installed a B&M external transmission filter [$34] with a Purolator L30001 filter [$4] and installed the unit at the exit of the transmission cooler. I also replaced the transmission fluid at this time:
* disconnect hose from transmission to cooler
* stick it in an empty 5 qt motor oil container
* start car until about 2 qts drains
* add 2 qts of new transmission fluid
* repeat using a total of 10 qts

It has been 7 weeks and about 1,400 miles and the transmission has not shuddered since the service. Prior to this service, it regularly shuddered when in D5 between 25-40 mph.

I simply replaced all of the vehicle's fluids since I acquired the vehicle used. I added the external filter just as an extra measure of precaution since the OEM transmission filter is internal. So far, the byproduct is that my particular transmission has stopped shuddering.

#544 ·
List model year 2005
Date/Mileage of failure just purchased vehicle with 112,000 miles and problem was existing
Current mileage 115,000
Symptoms rumbling, jerking when in D5 at lower speeds (30-45 mph)
Corrective action PCM update performed at dealer
Current status of trans. How does it feel? much better
And cost, if any or $0. $75 (would have been free, but it is a U.S. car located in canada, so i will need to contact Acura USA to request reimbursement)
Warranty, if you received one none

#547 ·
Does anyone know why the 2004 model was not consider for the PCM update? Can I opt for the PCM update even if it was not offered for 2004 under warranty?

When I took my 2004 into the dealer back in December - right after I bought the vehicle used - they told me that it already had the PCM update. However, they did not clarify whether it had the update from the factory or if perhaps a previous dealer applied the update.

The dealer should be able to run a diagnostic and tell you if the PCM update is applied or not. If it is not, the dealer would probably be happy to take your money to apply it.

#548 ·
List model year: 2004

Date/Mileage of failure: Noticed it about a year and a half ago (when I first started driving it), approx mileage was 68,000.

Current mileage: 75,626
Symptoms: "Shuttering" between 40-50 mph. I always described it as "the sound it makes when you drive on a grated shoulder". Little bit of a growl, little bit of a rumble.
Corrective action: My normal mechanic (who specializes in Acura/Honda vehicles) recommends a brand new transmission. He said there is a fundamental flaw in the design of the transmission. The dealership is recommending replacing the torque converter.
Current status of trans. How does it feel: Haven't gotten it fixed. Trying to decide if its worth it-Ive had more problems with this car than any other vehicle I've ever owned and ideally someone would steal it :)
And cost, if any: Acura has agreed to a 60/40 split on cost. The dealership quoted me 2500 to replace the TC.
Warranty, if you received one: If I have the TC replaced, they will warranty the part for 12 months.

I know this particular forum is more to track people who are having issues with their transmissions, but I do have some questions (as I am not as mechanically savvy as many of you). What's the worst that could happen if I don't have the TC replaced? Considering I've been driving with a bad one for a year and a half now, and who knows how long before I started driving that it actually failed (My husband drove it prior to me and his commute was less than 3 miles).

I will say that this is my last Acura/Honda vehicle ever. When I told them I wasnt happy that they weren't taking a greater responsibility for the failure of the TC, they replied "Well maybe if you took better care of your car it wouldn't have failed".

#550 ·
When I told them I wasnt happy that they weren't taking a greater responsibility for the failure of the TC, they replied "Well maybe if you took better care of your car it wouldn't have failed".
Now thats sad! I have owned about the same number of hondas as Toyotas and granted (knock on wood) I have not had any major problems with my mdx yet, I do have a bunch of minor ones that suggests honda's quality is droppinng off.

Also I have to admit reading this thread makes me nervous espeically considering I use my MDX to tow my 2500 lb boat two or three times a month for a total of about 15 miles each time;

#556 ·
List model year - 2005
Date/Mileage of failure. June 2013
Current mileage. 152k
Symptoms. Started hard shifts in reverse and slipping in D5 about 15k earlier. Then finally both of these failed when on hwy about 500 km away from home. Luckily was able to drive back home in D4. Love that this car has the manual option.
Corrective action. Tranny replacement or rebuild, please advice, thanks
And cost, if any or $0. My longterm mech who is a tranny expert quoted 2000 for rebuild.
Warranty, if you received one. No.

#558 ·
2006 MDX Touring /w Nav
grinding noise during acceleration only.
Heard at speeds between 10-40 MPH.
146,000 miles
Brought to dealer who stated its normal.
Will call dealer if problem gets worse.
Could I expect some after warranty assistance with such high mileage if problem continues?

#559 ·
I too am experiencing the issue.

List model year. 2004
Date/Mileage of failure. Probably started a year ago. 2013.
Current mileage. 96,000
Symptoms. Grumbling around 28 and 46mph.
Corrective action. Was offered a 50% goodwill on a full trans replacement. $2850.(50%) Still considering my options at this point.
Current status of trans. How does it feel? D4 stops the noise.

#562 ·
That's sad to hear Midnight. If my memory serves me correctly, you started accelerating the frequency of your tranny oil change to hopefully reduce the chances of exactly this happening.

I wonder if an external tranny cooler would reduce this risk? I have always read that over heating is the main cause of early tranny failures. Maybe even with the oil changes the temperatures are excessive

#561 ·
I started getting the symptoms and had Acura change the fluid and all was fine. Was I lucky? idk. But I had put an after market tranny fluid in and after a year or 2, it started making the sounds and the torque converter was acting up. Most of these symptoms happened around 30mph

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.