Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

taking the 06 MDX to the outer banks 4WD

15K views 32 replies 15 participants last post by  illin 
#1 ·
I am getting conflicting info on how my MDX will perform in deep sand. I was hoping someone here can give me first hand advice/experience taking an 06 out to the beach. I have experience driving in sand with a true 4WD truck. many have told me AWD will not do well in the sand. the dealer and techs have told me it should do fine. i am unsure if i should use the traction lock or take any other precautions ahead of time. if you are familiar with the outer banks you know that the first few hundred yards can be real hairy when driving in to the house with a loaded truck and small kids/pets inside ! all is fine till you get to the house and then you have to cross the dunes again. this is usually 12inch deep very soft sand ruts.

please advise....:eek:

#27 ·
MDXboy said:

The guys in the service area unanimously agreed I would have no trouble (they get lots of inquiry on this) and one stated that he had been there before but got stuck in his big tire truck because he didnt air down. I dont think I can trust their opinion.
I don't know if you can trust anyone's opinion totally. They don't know how you drive. People get stuck in the snow all the time too. Doesn't always mean the car isn't capable of driving in the snow.

#28 ·
MDXboy said:
I am getting conflicting info on how my MDX will perform in deep sand. I was hoping someone here can give me first hand advice/experience taking an 06 out to the beach. I have experience driving in sand with a true 4WD truck. many have told me AWD will not do well in the sand. the dealer and techs have told me it should do fine. i am unsure if i should use the traction lock or take any other precautions ahead of time. if you are familiar with the outer banks you know that the first few hundred yards can be real hairy when driving in to the house with a loaded truck and small kids/pets inside ! all is fine till you get to the house and then you have to cross the dunes again. this is usually 12inch deep very soft sand ruts.

please advise....:eek:

Its all about tire pressure. Check out the twiddy.com site, and they will have a few videos on beach driving tips, and how to get out of sand if you get stuck.

We had a house on the beach, and followed their recommendations on lowering tire pressure to under 20 psi and had no issues. It was a pain to go back and forth with the tire pressure, but better than getting stuck. Good Luck.

#29 ·
Our X at the Outerbanks

Attachments

#33 ·
Aird won...VTM4 on and these things will go just about anywhere. We just came back from CO on our dirtbikes and I saw two Pilots coming out on the back trail that wraps around the Great National Sand Dunes Monument. The sand is hard to walk in...soft and well past ankle deep to walk in. The Pilots were doing just fine. I peaked in them and VTM was on and they were aired way down.

I carry a little cheapy 12v compressor with me and it pays for itslef the first use. I have had my X in sand, mud and snow WAY deeper than I should have with no issues.

Remember...when offroad, momentum is your friend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.