Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

taking the 06 MDX to the outer banks 4WD

15K views 32 replies 15 participants last post by  illin 
#1 ·
I am getting conflicting info on how my MDX will perform in deep sand. I was hoping someone here can give me first hand advice/experience taking an 06 out to the beach. I have experience driving in sand with a true 4WD truck. many have told me AWD will not do well in the sand. the dealer and techs have told me it should do fine. i am unsure if i should use the traction lock or take any other precautions ahead of time. if you are familiar with the outer banks you know that the first few hundred yards can be real hairy when driving in to the house with a loaded truck and small kids/pets inside ! all is fine till you get to the house and then you have to cross the dunes again. this is usually 12inch deep very soft sand ruts.

please advise....:eek:

#2 ·
I assume you're looking to go up to the Corolla area. We haven't ventured there ourselves, but from what I researched, it can be tricky w/ AWD. I too have had plenty of experience in soft sand w/ 4x4's but not really with AWD. I am planning on hitting some beaches this year for the first time with the X, but will stick with the easier ones on the way down to Hatteras Island.

Let us know how it works out for you.

#4 ·
Bring a couple of good tow straps in case you need help and a pump so you can re-inflate your tires after you soften them for the sand.

Inertia is critical. Keep it moving. Don't stop unless you really have to.

I have very little experience in sand in the X. But I've taken it off-road quite a bit and its never let me down. VTM lock helps me when I'm climbing stuff with tons of loose pine needles underfoot.

#5 ·
Ok ! tow straps, carpet strips, and shovels. i have learned that stopping in the wrong place is a VERY bad idea. seen plenty of real 4wd trucks stuck so maybe its more of a driver thing. i have a 12 volt tire pump from last year (different car that time), but never needed it. took the tires down to 12psi and left them there until we drove home. i guess my chances for success are higher than some other vehicles but not as good as a 4wd truck....

#10 ·
If you want to play with your MDX in soft sand stick to the desert.

IT IS NOT SMART TO PUT ANY VEHICLE IN BEACH SAND!!!

Regardless of how well the vehicle may perform, the big problem is salt. Salt will get everywhere in the vehicle undercarriage and you will not get it all washed away. AS you know, or should know, salt encourages rust.

George

#11 ·
yes, i know this to be true but i wonder if i actually get more salt driving in the snow than i will in the sand. maybe not an issue for you southerners....up north i gotta wonder. one week of sand that i wash of quickly VS. a few months of salt that does not get washed off as regularly because of the weather ?

besides that i bought the SUV to use it. with two small kids, a dog, and stuff to haul around a little salt is the least of my worries. i already gots me several "whiskey dents" !

#12 ·
Don’t know about other parts, but here in the SF Bay area, cars in Pacifica used to rot out pretty quick from the salt air.

Not many late models with this problem any more with improved plating, coatings, paints, etc. Maybe sea side members can advise on their resistance to this?

Our weather mostly comes in from the Pacific rather than out to the Atlantic. In any case you are going to the beach - not living on it?

#18 ·
As someone that's been to the Outer Banks many times, I would caution you on driving in the deep sand. The first time, we got stuck and had to have a monster truck pull us out.

If you have to do it, make sure you drive near the water's edge and not the deep stuff.

#19 ·
laborlitigator said:
As someone that's been to the Outer Banks many times, I would caution you on driving in the deep sand. The first time, we got stuck and had to have a monster truck pull us out.

If you have to do it, make sure you drive near the water's edge and not the deep stuff.
i am not trying to be rude but i too have been to OBX many times. driving on the hard pack is often not an option with the tides and the tourists on the beach. i have never had trouble in a 4wd truck. when i bought my MDX i was assured by everyone at acura i would have no trouble in the sand with my expensive new MDX. i trusted them for no good reason other than i had been happy with acura in the past...why would they lie ?(my wife drives an 09TL) i now find out the MDX is not so good in sand !

#20 ·
I can only relate my past experience. We got stuck with an 02 MDX in the deep stuff.

#21 ·
MDXboy said:

i am not trying to be rude but i too have been to OBX many times. driving on the hard pack is often not an option with the tides and the tourists on the beach. i have never had trouble in a 4wd truck. when i bought my MDX i was assured by everyone at acura i would have no trouble in the sand with my expensive new MDX. i trusted them for no good reason other than i had been happy with acura in the past...why would they lie ?(my wife drives an 09TL) i now find out the MDX is not so good in sand !
The Acura people may not deliverately lie to you, they just may not know any better. How many of the ones that you talked to had ever driven an MDX along the Outer Banks (OBX)?

There are tow truck operators along the eastern shore of North Carolina that make their living off of tourists.

G

#22 ·
G. COLTON said:

The Acura people may not deliverately lie to you, they just may not know any better. How many of the ones that you talked to had ever driven an MDX along the Outer Banks (OBX)?

There are tow truck operators along the eastern shore of North Carolina that make their living off of tourists.

G
The guys in the service area unanimously agreed I would have no trouble (they get lots of inquiry on this) and one stated that he had been there before but got stuck in his big tire truck because he didnt air down. I dont think I can trust their opinion.

#23 ·
If you do want to drive on the deep stuff don't slow down. That was my problem. I probably would not have gotten stuck if I didn't slow down.

#24 ·
Link below has an interesting discussion on the MDX off road design performance objectives. Can’t vouch for its truth but much sounds like it came from Honda.

It would be tough to get a guarantee that it won’t get stuck. Too many variables and as stated above, technique is a big one. Sand in all its varieties would be tough to simulate.

I’ve done regular 4X4 off roading and believe a universal killer is wheel spin. In any low traction condition once you start digging in, it’s almost impossible to dig out.

From what I understand of this traction control system, it may have a slight advantage over hard geared 4WD in the sand situation. As the drive is modulated amongst the wheels, it may delay onset of all 4 wheels spinning at the same time where a regular truck will just dig 4 holes.

On the other hand, a truck has really big tires where an MDX not so.

Any off roading is a calculated risk.

The list of test courses includes:

•30-degree dirt hill
•Sand hill
•Water pit
•Rock roads
•Embedded log course
•Step-up, step-down
•Sand drag strip
•Gully course
•Ground contact course
•Washboard road
•Frame twister
•Power hop hill (23-degree slope with rippled surface)
•Gravel road
•Startable grade

http://www.netcarshow.com/acura/2005-mdx/

#25 ·
#26 ·
We're actually there right now. Brought the X5 rather than the MDX this time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.