Need some buying advice.. - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-19-2012, 11:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Need some buying advice..

Hi guys,

I'm new here.. The reason I've joined this forums is that I'm looking for a new car and I need your opinion. I'm interested in a new MDX.. This is the specific version: 2012 Acura MDX - AutoComparison.com the AWD.. You're probably a little biased towards the MDX, but I'm also looking for a used X5. What would you guys advice?
vrowdre is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 11:57 AM   #2 (permalink)

That seems to be the base model. Generally the mdx will be way cheaper than the X5, and additionally the reliability ratings also favor the mdx. Albeit small, the mdx also has a third row, which the X5 doesn't offer. Both aw systems are great, and I'm sure people here will say that Acura comes out on top, and I won't necessarily argue that, but I will say that BMWs is more than adequate.
Which car is best? Drive them and find out which one is best FOR YOU!
wrestrepo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 11:57 AM   #3 (permalink)

I purchased a used (2009) MDX in May this year. I also looked at Lexus GX and BMW X5. I liked the X5 but there were two knocks against it. The third-row seat is a joke, and the reliability is suspect for a 3 year-old used car just coming off lease. The MDX has a usable 3rd row, great AWD, and is rated to be extremely reliable. We are a big ski family, so the AWD is important. But the main factor in the decision was I just don't want to spend a lot of time, and money, in the dealer service center. For a new BMW it is not an issue. But when the warranty expires, watch out.

At the BMW dealer, I looked closely at a used X5, with the 3rd row, and asked about its history. He showed me the repair history and I was blown away by the number of MAJOR repairs that were taken care of under warranty. I hate to think what it would cost outside of warranty. It really scared me off the BMW.

The MDX is not my dream car, but it suits our family's needs perfectly. Great AWD. Awesome reliability. Acceptable 3rd row. Looks pretty good. Comfortable to drive. Crappy MPG, but no worse than the others considered, etc.

To me, it represented the best value - delivering the "most for the money" in a 2-3 year old AWD midsize CUV.

Good luck in your search.
JohnM1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 12:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

I am not biased and will be trading my X on a 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland.

My X had a couple of non critical problems that were promptly fixed by the dealer. I rate the car above average in the trouble free department.

The V6 provides plenty of power, the transmission shifts smoothly and the AWD system is perfect for this kind of vehicle.

I have the tech which is supposed to have upscale leather and sound system. I don't like the sound I get from the radio. Highs are not crisp and lows are more of a buzz than a solid bass. I've tried all different adjustments to no avail.

I've had leather interiors for over twenty years. In 2 years this looks worse than others did with a lot more mileage.

Acura also went a bit light on sound insulation for the cabin. I'm not talking about wind noise due to leaks. But you hear every car you pass or passes you. Road noise is higher than it should be, even in a wanna be luxury vehicle.

Bottom line, if you are looking for a good running, very decent riding and handling cross-over, you should be very happy with the X. If the non critical 'features' are important, not so much.

That's, of course, IMHO.

I don't know if the BMW will be better or worse.
Bill_de is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 12:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestrepo View Post
That seems to be the base model.
Not necessarily. That's just a generic car comparison website, and it sounds like they lump them all together. This isn't unusual; many sites consider the MDX versions as one "trim level".

BMW charges extra for many features, whereas Acura includes most of them as standard equipment, and offers a few optional packages of high-end features. Some of the things you'll pay extra for or are not available on the X5, that are standard on the MDX, include leather seats, heated seats, power moonroof, rear-view camera, perimeter lighting, and privacy glass. That's why a base MDX for $43K list compares more closely to an optioned $55-60K X5 rather than a base $48K X5. On top of the base model, there are three main optional packages from the factory for the MDX: the Technology package, the Advanced package (which includes everything in the Technology package plus additional features), and the Entertainment package (a rear entertainment system, including heated second-row seats, which can be added to the Technology package or the Advanced package).

Compare features and decide which, if any, you prefer, on both the MDX and the X5.

Also, if you're willing to buy a late-model used X5, you might also want to consider a late-model used MDX, for even greater savings.

Quote:
Which car is best? Drive them and find out which one is best FOR YOU!
Old 11-19-2012, 12:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsxtasy View Post
Not necessarily. That's just a generic car comparison website, and it sounds like they lump them all together. This isn't unusual; many sites consider the MDX versions as one "trim level".

BMW charges extra for many features, whereas Acura includes most of them as standard equipment, and offers a few optional packages of high-end features. Some of the things you'll pay extra for or are not available on the X5, that are standard on the MDX, include leather seats, heated seats, power moonroof, rear-view camera, perimeter lighting, and privacy glass. That's why a base MDX for $43K list compares more closely to an optioned $55-60K X5 rather than a base $48K X5. On top of the base model, there are three main optional packages from the factory for the MDX: the Technology package, the Advanced package (which includes everything in the Technology package plus additional features), and the Entertainment package (a rear entertainment system, including heated second-row seats, which can be added to the Technology package or the Advanced package).

Compare features and decide which, if any, you prefer, on both the MDX and the X5.

Also, if you're willing to buy a late-model used X5, you might also want to consider a late-model used MDX, for even greater savings.

That was the base model, if you see there are trim levels available there, and the price was listed at 43K
All the MDXs are identical mechanically, with the exception of the "adjustable/adaptable" suspension in the sport/advance trim.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
That was the base model, if you see there are trim levels available there, and the price was listed at 43K
Not necessarily true. Take a closer look. First check the website address in your browser's window. Change the selection to one of the optional trim levels. You will see that the price changes, but the website address is the same for the higher-level versions as it is for the base version. So no matter which trim level you select, you would still be copying the same website address as a link. And anyone who uses that link will display the web page starting with the base model, even if the OP is considering one of the versions with optional packages.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsxtasy View Post
And anyone who uses that link will display the web page starting with the base model
That's all I am saying.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

I was thinking of the advance package, but I'm not completely sure.. What package do you guys like the most?
vrowdre is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 09:34 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrowdre View Post
I was thinking of the advance package, but I'm not completely sure.. What package do you guys like the most?
Really, it depends on what you want and what you're willing to pay for. The base MDX has an awful lot of standard equipment. Not that the packages aren't even better - they are - but whether they're worth paying a lot of money for, depends on your personal preferences, your budget, etc. (They're really not essentials, just stuff that's nice to have.) Here are the main features of each, as well as the standard equipment, according to Edmunds:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmunds
Standard equipment includes 18-inch wheels, automatic xenon headlamps, foglamps, heated side mirrors, a power liftgate, a sunroof, privacy glass, heated eight-way power front seats, two-way adjustable driver lumbar, a power tilt-and-telescoping steering wheel, leather upholstery, tri-zone automatic climate control, an auto-dimming rearview mirror with integrated rearview camera, Bluetooth, and an eight-speaker sound system with six-CD changer, auxiliary audio jack and satellite radio.

The Technology package adds a multi-view parking camera, GPS-linked and solar-sensing climate control, upgraded leather upholstery, a navigation system with 8-inch display and dial controller, real-time traffic and weather, voice controls and a 10-speaker Acura/ELS surround-sound audio system with digital music storage and an iPod/USB interface.

The Advance package includes all Technology package features and adds 19-inch wheels, an adaptive suspension, adaptive cruise control, a blind-spot warning system, the Collision Mitigation Braking System (CMBS), auto-leveling headlamps, a sport steering wheel and ventilated front seats. The Entertainment package, which can be added to the Technology or Advanced packages, adds a rear-seat entertainment system and heated second-row seats.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:38 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrowdre View Post
If money is no object get the advance. There's a lot to like.
tolson37 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: