New 2012 Honda Pilot Touring vs 2009 MDX Base - Page 2 - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-25-2012, 10:16 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_de View Post
I agree that the MDX can be more fun to drive. But like it or not, your experience was enhanced by the fact that you wanted it to be better.

Fortunately, we can all choose what is best for us and understand that it's not best for the next guy. A friend of mine always buys used. He currently has an Odessy that he plans to change next year. I asked him if he wanted to buy my X as I'm going to a Jeep. He's riden in the X a number of times, even on multi hour trips, and enjoys the ride. But he will be getting another Odessy, a new one this time, because he likes the room for cargo with the seats down and the easy access through the sliding door. It's not that he has a big family, it's just him and his wife.

Go figure
Actually to be honest, the car I REALLY personally wanted was the BMW X5 because I heard its the benchmark driver's SUV. But since this is my first family vehicle, I had to be a little more frugal and find something under $30k and would be reliable for the long run (5-8 years). The other problem is that the wife really wanted a 3rd row seating for our little family members and she didn't like the looks of the BMW. So I ended up with the MDX, and actually am very happy with it.

It's just the whole Honda Pilot thing is something that is sort of an itch because although I don't like it, it would be the most practical. But the MDX ends up giving me what I wanted as well as meeting that halfway practicality.

So you are getting a Jeep? Which jeep may I ask?
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 10:24 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_de View Post
I agree that the MDX can be more fun to drive. But like it or not, your experience was enhanced by the fact that you wanted it to be better.

Fortunately, we can all choose what is best for us and understand that it's not best for the next guy. A friend of mine always buys used. He currently has an Odessy that he plans to change next year. I asked him if he wanted to buy my X as I'm going to a Jeep. He's riden in the X a number of times, even on multi hour trips, and enjoys the ride. But he will be getting another Odessy, a new one this time, because he likes the room for cargo with the seats down and the easy access through the sliding door. It's not that he has a big family, it's just him and his wife.

Go figure

Sorry I have to disagree that he wanted the MDX to better. If he was like me he wanted to make sure he didn't make a mistake. When I test drove a brand new Pilot touring vs my recently purchased 2009 MDX base it was no contest. True everyone has a preference but these cars are in two different class.

The MDX was the clear winner and mine had 40k, no contest. My son-in-law who sells Honda agreed that the Pilot is not in the same class. He bought the Pilot because he has a young family not because he thought thePilot was a better car.
revrob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 10:58 PM   #18 (permalink)

Comparing apples and oranges again.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
tolson37 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 08:11 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrob View Post
Sorry I have to disagree that he wanted the MDX to better. If he was like me he wanted to make sure he didn't make a mistake. When I test drove a brand new Pilot touring vs my recently purchased 2009 MDX base it was no contest. True everyone has a preference but these cars are in two different class.

The MDX was the clear winner and mine had 40k, no contest. My son-in-law who sells Honda agreed that the Pilot is not in the same class. He bought the Pilot because he has a young family not because he thought thePilot was a better car.
That's a spot on assessment. It's not that I want the MDX to be better, it just simply was compared to the Pilot. But I'm also in agreement that it's better for "me" and apparently Revrob , while a 2012 Pilot might just suite other people a lot better.

If for some reason the Pilot handled like an MDX, had the same power, and wasn't so boring, I would probably feel much different about it.

I guess I just really didn't like the fact that one of my close friend's husband was trying to downplay the fact that I bought a used 2008 MDX with 45k, when they instead went with a new 2012 Pilot.

I know it's really small and trivial though and maybe a bit immature but I just had to get it off my chest.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:12 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolson37 View Post
Comparing apples and oranges again.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Yes it is apples and oranges. It's when some people say the MDX = Pilot is when it's the real confusion.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:01 AM   #21 (permalink)

Haven't been on this site lately (for obvious reasons in just a minute), but will present a different side.

First, I LOVE MDXs. We've owned two of them over a 9 year period, and have put over 200,000 miles on them (failing transmission on the 06 MDX at 135,000 miles was the reason for getting rid of it). When it came down to a new MDX or Pilot, we picked the Pilot.

(1) The MDX -- no question -- has superior handling and acceleration. I miss it. On the other hand, my driving habits just don't include much full-throttle acceleration runs (I used to have my BMW convertible for when I wanted to do that, and it did it better than the MDX). I do miss the power of the MDX when passing on two-lane roads.

(2) If you're into plastic wood, the MDX certainly looks significantly more luxurious, and I agree that the hard plastic on the Pilot is anything but desirable. BUT -- I find very little, if any, difference in the quality of the leather in our Pilot Touring's seats and those of the base MDX. The Pilot is an extremely comfortable car in which to travel.

(3) I was sick and tired of paying for premium fuel (with as much as a $.40/gallon cost premium) and getting worse mileage than I get on the Pilot. For some of us, money matters.

(4) We go to our lake house a lot and carry a ton of stuff with us, and the Pilot certainly seems to have more cargo capacity than the MDX had. Also, the included hitch, which is VERY well integrated into the rear bumper, saved the cost of an ugly add-on with the MDX. (Have to take the boats in and out each year.)

(5) The Pilot is certainly quieter than our 2006 MDX. That's probably not a fair comparison, but I have no complaints about the noise level in it.

(6) Love the built-in window screens on the second-row windows on the Touring model -- also the fact that the second row is adjustable front to back.

Again, I loved our two MDXs, and will look at one again when the new models come out (we put about 30,000 miles a year on them). But for us, given our needs at our stage in life, the Pilot just seemed to be a better fit right now. I would never suggest that someone who purchased an MDX made a bad decision; it's just not necessarily the right decision for everyone else.

08 Honda Accord EX-L V6 NBP/saddle - his
ECON1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 06:27 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECON1 View Post
Haven't been on this site lately (for obvious reasons in just a minute), but will present a different side.

First, I LOVE MDXs. We've owned two of them over a 9 year period, and have put over 200,000 miles on them (failing transmission on the 06 MDX at 135,000 miles was the reason for getting rid of it). When it came down to a new MDX or Pilot, we picked the Pilot.

(1) The MDX -- no question -- has superior handling and acceleration. I miss it. On the other hand, my driving habits just don't include much full-throttle acceleration runs (I used to have my BMW convertible for when I wanted to do that, and it did it better than the MDX). I do miss the power of the MDX when passing on two-lane roads.

(2) If you're into plastic wood, the MDX certainly looks significantly more luxurious, and I agree that the hard plastic on the Pilot is anything but desirable. BUT -- I find very little, if any, difference in the quality of the leather in our Pilot Touring's seats and those of the base MDX. The Pilot is an extremely comfortable car in which to travel.

(3) I was sick and tired of paying for premium fuel (with as much as a $.40/gallon cost premium) and getting worse mileage than I get on the Pilot. For some of us, money matters.

(4) We go to our lake house a lot and carry a ton of stuff with us, and the Pilot certainly seems to have more cargo capacity than the MDX had. Also, the included hitch, which is VERY well integrated into the rear bumper, saved the cost of an ugly add-on with the MDX. (Have to take the boats in and out each year.)

(5) The Pilot is certainly quieter than our 2006 MDX. That's probably not a fair comparison, but I have no complaints about the noise level in it.

(6) Love the built-in window screens on the second-row windows on the Touring model -- also the fact that the second row is adjustable front to back.

Again, I loved our two MDXs, and will look at one again when the new models come out (we put about 30,000 miles a year on them). But for us, given our needs at our stage in life, the Pilot just seemed to be a better fit right now. I would never suggest that someone who purchased an MDX made a bad decision; it's just not necessarily the right decision for everyone else.
Thank you for your post, very good points.

(I do have to disclaim though that I was referring to a 2012 pilot vs a 2007-2012 MDXs. I have no experience with the 1st gen MDXs nor do I have any experience with the previous gen Pilot either. )
Old 12-16-2012, 01:02 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by symmetrical View Post
Thank you for your post, very good points.

(I do have to disclaim though that I was referring to a 2012 pilot vs a 2007-2012 MDXs. I have no experience with the 1st gen MDXs nor do I have any experience with the previous gen Pilot either. )
I bought a 2012 Pilot EX but would have preferred a 2012 MDX Base.
Roughly the same options except for Sunroof and Heated Seats on the MDX. Just couldn't justify $10,000 more for the MDX.
I have been reading where people are complaining about fuel mileage on their Acuras. I have about 8000 miles on the Pilot and am averaging 19 mpg. The best mileage observed, was a 200 mile drive in western PA,
where I averaged 25.3 mpg. This was strictly Interstate driving at 65 mph.
I credit this to the Cylinder deactivation on Honda's 3.5 V6.
The engine is designed to run on 3 or 4 or 6 cylinders, depending on power required. On a level road the green ECONOMY light is always on.
I also tow a 3600 lb camper because the 4wd Pilot can tow 4500 lbs.
Of course that's at 10 mpg. (The same mileage that my neighbor gets, pulling the same camper with his 2010 Chevy V8 Pickup truck)
Gunnerj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: