MDX VS Cayenne - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-07-2011, 10:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

MDX VS Cayenne

Hello MDXer's,

I have been a lurking these forums for about a month as the MDX made my list along with the Cayenne .
We presently have a 2008 CRV EXL whih has served us very well in the last 3 years with about 50K on the odometer.I initially planned to keep it for 5-6 years but our financial situation has changed and we feel that a jump into the luxury suv segment seems important now.So Luxury is a very important concern for us.

Family dynamics and requirements:

Family of three with a possible addition in the near future.Pets are not allowed in our family.We go on long trips about once every 2 months between lexington and toronto and need a vehicle which would be reliable ,comfortable and safe in the worst of what the NE winter can offer.My wife would be the primary driver.

MDX:

The MDX though severely aging still seems practical .The extra last row of seats though not a necessity would come handy someday.The final price of ~50K tag also seems enticing from a financial point of view.In view of a new model on the horizon I am considering leasing one .The mileage is a concern along with the nitty bitty problems I see on the forum[coming from a CRV].

Cayenne:

The cayenne is a new model and IMO looks better [especially the interiors].I dont prefer venturing into the first year models.It brings along its badge with it .....something I would enjoy.It looks and [feels?] upscale...But the premium of ~10-15K above the MDX[for a family hauler]doesn't seem practical.I have no clue about the reliability of a cayenne or the maintainance it would demand.

I am going to testdrive/negotiate at a Acura dealer tomorrow.Does anyone feel the acura lacking in luxury?I had a chance to look into a 2010 MDX and some of its interior features left a bad impression on me[esp the heating and rear aircon buttons...looked like old switches].Any important things that I have to consider while test driving/negotiating an MDX.Has anyone cross shopped the new cayenne?

Any suggestion would be really appreciated,TYIA.
cukoodukoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2011, 09:28 AM   #2 (permalink)

'11 MDX ... I find the cabin noise is higher than what I would asociate with luxury. I've had quieter Chevy's. It is comfortable and gives a reasonable ride. Fake wood is OK with me, but again, it doesn't say Luxury. It's not the vehicle if image is important to you. If reliability is important with a slightly upscale vehilcle from Honda, then it's a good choice.
Bill_de is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2011, 10:05 AM   #3 (permalink)

The Volkswagen Touareg and the Porsche Cayenne share the same platform and the same mechanics. The base Cayenne is about $51,000.00, but once you choose other options, it can go to $100,000.00.

The V6 is only 300 hp, so you really want to get the V8, which is 400 hp for the base V8.

The 2011 Porshe is a lot lighter and is a good off-roader, with very good torque distribution, and the air suspension automatically raises the vehicle when off-roading. All for a price..

I never liked the reliability of the VW Toureg, though I don't know if that translates in any way to the Porsche model..

AC
... side windows acrylic deflectors,
... Michelin Latitude Tour HP 275/45R19
2010 Acura TL Tech.
2001 Mercedes ML 320
2005 Mercedes ML 500 AMG Package
AC_MDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2011, 05:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

I am torn with the same comparison and have owned Porsche's for over 25 years, so there is loyalty to the brand. Bottom line for me, I need to drive them both again - in course of one week. Acura has more cargo space, ironically it is about same dimensions and nearly same weight think 200 lb difference.

Question you need to ask yourself is how long do you keep a vehicle. If it is only during warranty period that can be one answer. If buying/leasing, the Cayenne depreciates much faster. Mechanically, a Cayenne (except hybrid) is a VW Touareg - cost of ownership, after warranty is probably double maybe triple of a MDX. I view a MDX is a better SUV than a Cayenne with some more advanced tech features.

Towing is important to me, Cayenne is about 7,500 lbs, MDX is about 5,000. Having an air suspension is important to me too.

Did not answer your question, dollar for dollar the MDX is a better buy - decision should be based on which one is more enjoyable to drive for the drivers in your household. Its really a personal choice.

Regarding option pricing, Porsche is much more ala carte that drive price up significantly.

Good luck with your decision, can be a win win and clearly good for you to have those choices.
luvair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2011, 08:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

If you're leasing and not buying... get the Cayenne. Porsche reliability has been good through the years and although shared with VW, is not the same animal.

MDX is very nice, and you mentioned that "luxury" is important to you so for whatever reason you want to impress, so you'll do better with the Cayenne.
Teg2Xer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2011, 08:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_de View Post
'11 MDX ... I find the cabin noise is higher than what I would asociate with luxury. I've had quieter Chevy's. It is comfortable and gives a reasonable ride. Fake wood is OK with me, but again, it doesn't say Luxury. It's not the vehicle if image is important to you. If reliability is important with a slightly upscale vehilcle from Honda, then it's a good choice.
Thank you all for your input.My day at the acura dealership was quite interesting.I test drove one and felt the exact same thing.WTF is that cabin noise?It was equivalent to my honda.I really expected much better than that.I wonder if the upgraded audio/dvd entertainment would drain that noise.The ride and the pickup was good enough for me.I wouldn't ask for more for a hauler.The interiors though were disappointing in some areas. I kept reminding myself of the final sticker price and it made me feel comfy.

Now Negotiation

I was told that I would have to special order black.umber for advance /entertainment[2 months wait??]

First price 53200...I was like

They offer 16800 for my 2008 crv exl with 50K miles.It had a collision and was professionally repaired.I felt it would have to fetch a tad more than that,but i didn't complain.I asked them to put in their best offer as I didnt want to waste time with the usual BS.

Second price after 15 minutes with manager: 52900

They said its the best they can offer and it was apparently final.Then I tell him that the same manager had emailed me a week ago offering 51000 for the same package .He was bummed and got a print out and was .

I said I know a friend from the forum whohad got an advance/entertainment for 48K.He did not believe it.Now he tells me he could offer me a lease deal

754 per month with taxes ,12k miles,0 downpayment.
I said I would have to wait and look for better deals and asked them to contact me in a week.

We come home with second thoughts.Next weekend I plan to visit a porsche dealer.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

Interesting about MDX cabin noise. Wonder if you drove another MDX would have same impression. Maybe it was the tires, alignment, or maybe it is too noisy. Look forward to your report back for the Cayenne.
luvair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2011, 09:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvair View Post
Interesting about MDX cabin noise. Wonder if you drove another MDX would have same impression. Maybe it was the tires, alignment, or maybe it is too noisy. Look forward to your report back for the Cayenne.
I think it was more of wind noise.That was the most surprising find today .Never expected that from acura.I might have had a bad car.I guess I will try another dealers vehicle next weekend.

2011 Acura MDX | Features | Performance | Acura.com

Interesting that Acura officially advertises this.

Anyone else on the forum has the same experience?
Old 01-08-2011, 10:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

GPS linked temp control? But what if it's cloudy?
Old 01-08-2011, 10:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

The door seals don't do a good job of completely sealing the air/noise. I had some old seal strips that I had left from my former 2005 ML 500, and I just used it as a test since it is easy to remove, and the small air/road noise dissappeared.

On my old Mercedes 2005 ML 500 and 2001 ML 320, there were spots on the door that really let the air/noise in, and the dealer will not do anything to correct them, so many of us sealed the doors ourselves.

In my 2011, the noise is not bad at all, but I was just testing to see if the reason were the door seals, since I never felt that air tight pressure effect in my ears when I closed the doors.

That I know Acura installs/uses a lot of noise cancelling/isolation features in their vehicles. I think their door seals just need have a tighter fit.
... side windows acrylic deflectors,
... Michelin Latitude Tour HP 275/45R19
2010 Acura TL Tech.
2001 Mercedes ML 320
2005 Mercedes ML 500 AMG Package
AC_MDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2011, 10:51 PM   #11 (permalink)

Regarding noise: The MDX is reasonably quiet, but certainly not the quietest vehicle in the segment. It's on par with the Lexus RX 350. I've ridden in a neighbor's Buick Enclave a couple of times, and it's definitely a bit quieter than the MDX.

However, comma, neither of those vehicles, nor any other vehicle in its price class offers a comparable driving experience to the MDX.

The Cayenne is likely to be as quiet or quieter, and is also likely to cost at least $15K more comparably equipped. The new version is much better looking (IMO) than the original, and it certainly has the "status" thing covered, being a Porsh-a and all.

BUT, but it won't drive better, won't carry as much stuff or as many people, and isn't likely to be as reliable as the MDX.

Depends what you're really looking for in a vehicle. Everyone who has ever ridden in our MDX has commented on how nice it is. I'm sure the Cayenne would get similar comments, and it would impress those who don't know any better more than the MDX, but it's not really a better vehicle - it's just a more expensive one.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:17 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_MDX View Post
The door seals don't do a good job of completely sealing the air/noise. I had some old seal strips that I had left from my former 2005 ML 500, and I just used it as a test since it is easy to remove, and the small air/road noise dissappeared.

On my old Mercedes 2005 ML 500 and 2001 ML 320, there were spots on the door that really let the air/noise in, and the dealer will not do anything to correct them, so many of us sealed the doors ourselves.

In my 2011, the noise is not bad at all, but I was just testing to see if the reason were the door seals, since I never felt that air tight pressure effect in my ears when I closed the doors.

That I know Acura installs/uses a lot of noise canceling/isolation features in their vehicles. I think their door seals just need have a tighter fit.
Interesting.Do you mind telling where to place these strips. I would love to try them if i end up buying the MDX.Sorry for the trouble there. I do know about dynamat products but how to islolate the noise leaks and apply these strips in a cosmetic way?
Old 01-09-2011, 10:17 AM   #13 (permalink)

It'd be interesting to see what the ones complaining about the MDX interior noise are coming from. Another SUV or a sedan. I come from a '99 RX300 and the new RX350 is much quieter than the 300, but many owners on the Lexus forums complain about it being loud. The MDX I feel is actually more quiet than the 350. The few 350 that I had as a loaner seemed very loud, especially from the engine bay and this only from a 270+HP engine, not 300 like the MDX.

Also, SUV just I think inherently have more cabin noise because of the size and amount of frontal surface to take wind. I feel my '99 Accord EX was more quiet inside than any of the SUV that I've mentioned here.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:54 AM   #14 (permalink)

'02 & '03 Chevy TrailBlazers were quieter.
'07 Jeep Liberty was much noisier.

The MDX not only has IMHO a lot of constant road noise, but doesn't seem to block outside noises such as passing vehicles or the radio in the car stopped at the light next to me.

It's not that it's really annoying, but it doesn't speak luxury.
Bill_de is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2011, 11:50 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cukoodukoo View Post
Interesting.Do you mind telling where to place these strips. I would love to try them if i end up buying the MDX.Sorry for the trouble there. I do know about dynamat products but how to islolate the noise leaks and apply these strips in a cosmetic way?
Yeah pictures would be nice too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teg2Xer View Post
It'd be interesting to see what the ones complaining about the MDX interior noise are coming from. Another SUV or a sedan. I come from a '99 RX300 and the new RX350 is much quieter than the 300, but many owners on the Lexus forums complain about it being loud. The MDX I feel is actually more quiet than the 350. The few 350 that I had as a loaner seemed very loud, especially from the engine bay and this only from a 270+HP engine, not 300 like the MDX.
The only noise I ever complaint about on mine comes from the rear. To me it feels too stiff when going thru bumpy roads. I usually drive with the stereo on and that's why I probably don't hear much wind noise. I'll have to pay more attention.
Dominik-X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: