Acura MDX vs Mercedes ML - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.00 average.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Acura MDX vs Mercedes ML

I am a new 2011 Acura MDX Tech/Adv vehicle owner. My wife was already an Acura owner. We are very satified with our vehicles, and I have been looking for a good Acura forum to belong to.

After 10 years and two brand new Mercedes ML, I just had it with the Mercedes low quality parts, the overpriced parts, the overpriced labor, and the bad Mercedes customer service.

Attached is a reliability report, which fits Mercedes realiabilitiy quite well. Many friends, many people from the Mercedes forum, and my own experience match exactly what that reliability report shows.

My wife has an Acura TL, and I have been very impressed with the quality of it. I saw the Acura MDX in the showroom many times, and it has higher quality materials (engine & interior) and components than all of my former ML's.

My former Mercedes ML's have been a nightmare since day one. Wheel sensors, power steering pump, power steering reservour, voltage regulator, ignition coils, fuel pumps, fuel sender, shocks, brakes average life is around 20K miles, crankshaft position sensor (car just dies), camshaft position senfor, MAF sensors, engine sludge ruining the engine, power steering hose popping issues, EGR sensor/tubes, AAM computer problems, ignition key dying problems, security system failing, transmission related problems, trip computer problems (towing, alarm, etc), plastic based door solenoids breaking, axle failing (T joints/bearings, etc), Navigation DVD drive problems, etc.

The latter are just some of the very common problems affecting Mercedes and the ML's. I think I had been lucky to have a single month without a problem with them.

Besides the ripoff string repair/serivce experience that you get with Mercedes, some crooked Mercedes dealers install used wheels/tires, and rotten spare tires, on brand new Mercedes vehicles, and what is what Mercedes Benz customer service says? They said: "Once the dealer receives the Mercedes vehicle, they can do anything they want to them, and we are not responsible for it anymore"... And we support the Mercedes dealer..".. The Sugarland Mercedes dealer in Houston, they swap parts from your vehicle.. Most likely to install in the used Mercedes cars to sell it for a higher price. It took me several months for them to even replace the rotten spare tire.

I have already 700+ miles on my Acura MDX, and it is a dream in comparison with my two Mercedes ML. Granted that I had a V8 engine which had a lot of torque, the quality of the Acura transmission and ride is quite superior to the ML anytime. In addition, the 7.0 seconds 0-60 in the Acura MDX is pretty good for a V6 and close enough to the V8. The advance suspension package on the Acura, too, works great and provides a much nicer ride than the Mercedes ML. The ML's ride can't compre to it.

It is amazing the difference between the Mercedes forums and the Acura forums. In the Mercedes forums it is all about repeated repairs and angry owners at the bad quality of parts, service, and expensive repairs/labor. Here, in the Acura forums, I just see minimal problems/annoyances.

Well, I am happy to have found this Acura forum and hope you all have a great day and hope you all enjoy the approaching holidays..!!
Attached Thumbnails
Acura MDX vs Mercedes ML-mbreliability.jpg  
AC_MDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2010, 12:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_MDX View Post
I am a new 2011 Acura MDX Tech/Adv vehicle owner. My wife was already an Acura owner. We are very satified with our vehicles, and I have been looking for a good Acura forum to belong to.

After 10 years and two brand new Mercedes ML, I just had it with the Mercedes low quality parts, the overpriced parts, the overpriced labor, and the bad Mercedes customer service.

Attached is a reliability report, which fits Mercedes realiabilitiy quite well. Many friends, many people from the Mercedes forum, and my own experience match exactly what that reliability report shows.

My wife has an Acura TL, and I have been very impressed with the quality of it. I saw the Acura MDX in the showroom many times, and it has higher quality materials (engine & interior) and components than all of my former ML's.

My former Mercedes ML's have been a nightmare since day one. Wheel sensors, power steering pump, power steering reservour, voltage regulator, ignition coils, fuel pumps, fuel sender, shocks, brakes average life is around 20K miles, crankshaft position sensor (car just dies), camshaft position senfor, MAF sensors, engine sludge killing the engine, power steering hose popping issues, EGR sensor/tubes, AAM computer problems, ignition key dying problems, security system failing, transmission related problems, trip computer problems (towing, alarm, etc), plastic based door solenoids breaking, axle failing (T joints/bearings, etc), Navigation DVD drive problems, etc.

The latter are just some of the very common problems affecting Mercedes and the ML's. I think I had been lucky to have a single month without a problem with them.

Besides the ripoff string repair/serivce experience that you get with Mercedes, some crooked Mercedes dealers install used wheels/tires, and rotten spare tires, on brand new Mercedes vehicles, and what is what Mercedes Benz customer service says? They said: "Once the dealer receives the Mercedes vehicle, they can do anything they want to them, and we are not responsible for it anymore"... And we support the Mercedes dealer..".. The Sugarland Mercedes dealer in Houston, they swap parts from your vehicle.. Most likely to install in the used Mercedes cars to sell it for a higher price. It took me several months for them to even replace the rotten spare tire.

I have already 700+ miles on my Acura MDX, and it is a dream in comparison with my two Mercedes ML. Granted that I had a V8 engine which had a lot of torque, the quality of the Acura transmission and ride is quite superior to the ML anytime. In addition, the 7.0 seconds 0-60 in the Acura MDX is pretty good for a V6 and close enough to the V8. The advance suspension package on the Acura, too, works great and provides a much nicer ride than the Mercedes ML. The ML's ride can't compre to it.

It is amazing the difference between the Mercedes forums and the Acura forums. In the Mercedes forums it is all about repeated repairs and angry owners at the bad quality of parts, service, and expensive repairs/labor. Here, in the Acura forums, I just see minimal problems/annoyances.

Well, I am happy to have found this Acura forum and hope you all have a great day and hope you all enjoy the approaching holidays..!!
I agree. I've participated in forums for just about every vehicle I've purchased, and there will always be people complaining about something. I find it kind of funny what people complain about here...mostly different noises they're hearing....on other forums, you hear people complaining about serious mechanical problems.

Mercedes has never been known for reliability (ask any mechanic and they'll tell you), but most Benz drivers aren't too concerned about reliability either. They're mostly concerned with the kool-aid that comes with driving a Benz....even when their competitors are consistently rated higher than them in terms of reliability, performance, and luxury/comfort.

PS: I happen to live in Sugar Land, and work in Up-town!
Mystik610 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2010, 01:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to m500
AC_MDX, I've been in your shoe with my last ML500. There are alway lists of issues with my ML when I'm there for regular maintenance. I finally had it after 4 years of ownership and got rid of it after warranty expired. Its not worth my time and money for a car that I can not depend on.
2006 Lexus LS430 Sport
m500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2010, 01:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

What most people don't know is that after around 1998 Mercedes stop making many of their well built quality parts and began getting 3rd party generic parts. Therefore sensors, shocks, batteries, electronics parts/components, etc. are not designed to last as the old Mercedes parts use to. Though, they repackage the cheap 3rd party parts and raise their value several times and high profit from them. The Mercedes quality testing is pretty patetic, too, but they cannot do too much if they want to save money and increase their profits. It doesn't help too much that a lot of the profit Mercedes have come from repairs and parts, so they make a lot of money on flaky vehicles.

BMW took a different approach, and I admire BMW for how they try to improve their quality and how they stand by their product.

The former is why Mercedes stop being Mercedes after around 1998. Now a days, there are a lot of vehicle companies that have high end technology, quality, reliability, and engine power.

In 2005, I traded my 2001 ML 320 for $9500.00 because nobody wanted to give more for it. Starting by the Mercedes dealers, who told me that any Mercedes after 100K miles are worthless due the amount of repairs needed.

I traded my 2005 Ml 500 for $9000.00 because nobody will give more for it. Even Mercedes will not give more for their trucks even though they were in perfectly good shape.

One thing I learned from the Mercedes forums is that you never buy a brand new Mercedes. You wait around 2 years and then you buy it for around half the price. They have one of the largest depreciation values in the market because of their lack of reliability and cheap part quality build. That is way you can get them for dirt cheap now a days.. Any model.. Though those who buy them learn the hard way that flaky quality vehicles are very expensive to maintain, and that Mercedes, will drill a hole in their pockets as soon as they put a foot in their service area.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Welcome to the forum AC MDX. I hope SpeedyMDX is reading this thread.
matt03acura is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2010, 03:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

The biggest problem that I see with either the ML or GL series is that the storage behind the 2nd row seat is too small. You cannot fit a bag of golf clubs either crosswise or lengthwise there. Sure makes it difficult when four of you want to go to the golf course together.

George
Old 12-13-2010, 04:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your new MDX!
Old 12-13-2010, 05:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

uncal, Are you the same uncal as the one in the benzworld.org?

AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncal View Post
Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your new MDX!
Old 12-13-2010, 05:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:

My former Mercedes ML's have been a nightmare since day one. Wheel sensors, power steering pump, power steering reservour, voltage regulator, ignition coils, fuel pumps, fuel sender, shocks, brakes average life is around 20K miles, crankshaft position sensor (car just dies), camshaft position senfor, MAF sensors, engine sludge ruining the engine, power steering hose popping issues, EGR sensor/tubes, AAM computer problems, ignition key dying problems, security system failing, transmission related problems, trip computer problems (towing, alarm, etc), plastic based door solenoids breaking, axle failing (T joints/bearings, etc), Navigation DVD drive problems, etc.

At this point I would tend to disagree, my wife has a 2010 ML , we have had it for approx 1.5 years, we have had no issues whatsover with it, we also had an E class, also no issues, in consumer reports the ML350 with the V6 has a recommended checkmark with average reliability.The older ML were reliability problems but the 2008 and up ML have been pretty reliable.

2011 INFINITI M37X

WHITE , EBONY
ductman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2010, 06:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
uncal, Are you the same uncal as the one in the benzworld.org?

AC
Yep.
Happy Holidays to you and yours!
Old 12-13-2010, 06:27 PM   #11 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to rreimann Send a message via MSN to rreimann
I had new ML320 prior, and it had that Benz personality, but when something broke it really broke...came out from church with family and power steering fluid was completely drained onto church parking lot...another time drove to dealer with raw fuel flowing out from under car - had to park at far end of dealer they were worried about it going into drains and blowing up the building - and I was worried about blowing up myself.

Worst problem so far on new MDX was some seat leather that was replaced and an apparent battery level sensor that gets confused.
2010 MDX Advance Ent Grigio/taupe, wood wheel, shift knob, 3M hood mirror door edge protection, black roof rails, body side mouldings, trifold trunk mat, all weather mats, Acura 5k hitch package, Steely dan Gaucho DVD-A
rreimann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2010, 06:37 PM   #12 (permalink)

Great to have some good old pals from a former life..!! I remember you posted this link in one of your reply posts.. Thanks..!!

AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncal View Post
Yep.
Happy Holidays to you and yours!
Old 12-16-2010, 12:14 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
...After 10 years and two brand new Mercedes ML, I just had it with the Mercedes low quality parts, the overpriced parts, the overpriced labor, and the bad Mercedes customer service.

Attached is a reliability report, which fits Mercedes reliability quite well. Many friends, many people from the Mercedes forum, and my own experience match exactly what that reliability report shows...
My first/last Mercedes Benz was a metallic silver 2000 E430 4Matic which I had ordered new with everything. From the time I received the car, I was besieged with problems. From having to replace the right front 4Matic assembly to replacing the horn, to replacing the trip computer, to trying to diagnose a front-end vibration that never went away...all within the first year and 14k miles. A co-worker and I used to commiserate about our MB horror stories - he had equally disturbing stories to tell about his ML320.

So, I unloaded that P.O.S. for a Land Cruiser...which I loved. However, given the type of driving I did along with the poor MPG, I swapped it for my MDX and have never looked back. This thing has been 100% reliable (just like my old 1984 Honda Accord LX), with normal maintenance and fuel as my only expenditures. If the first 2 years are any indication, I'll be keeping this thing waaaay past the expiration of that 8 year warranty I purchased (but hope I never have to use). Anyways - welcome to the world of MDX. I hope you like yours as much as I like mine.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:34 AM   #14 (permalink)

It's sad that on such expensive vehicles you hear so many horror stories about unreliability and expensive repairs of course. You pay that much for a car, you just want peace of mind, to get in it, drive it, regular maintenance and enjoy it. Not saying Acura is a problem free brand, but at least it stands out in that department compared to the other "LUXURY" brands.
Dominik-X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2010, 01:34 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
BMW took a different approach, and I admire BMW for how they try to improve their quality and how they stand by their product.
Haha, funny that you say that, becuase I am considering a BMW X5 4.4, and boy they sure do have their share of problems.

I do agree that the BMW is WAAAY better then the ML concerning the fit and finish, cosmetics, looks, driving, handling, luxury, and in every other visual and driving experience sort of way then the ML's (Not the new generation MLs). However, after reading up on the X5 forum, those things are SUPER expensive to maintain, especially after 100K. Their trannys have more problems then the 01-02 MDX's. There are frequent reports of people replacing their tranny's under 60K, in addition to all the problems you listed for the ML's plus much much more. Among some common problems are radiators leaking/exploding, replacing the thermostat, CV boot replacements, rough idle issues, suspension issues (busing and control arms), window regulators going out, more often power steering fluid changes, instrument clusters looking like a christmas tree, batteries draining for no reason, valve cover gaskets problems, cooling system overhuals, replacing expensive parts like electrical harness, battery sensors, fuel tank sensors, and apparently the list goes on ETC ETC - Plus a Sh*t load of electrical/computer glitches and issues - But hey, at least you are driving the "ultimate driving machine", right - although it can be just as flaky and fussy as the MLs.

For what you get in a MDX, compared to Lexus and the german models, I think its unmatched so far, IMO. However, it'd be nice if the MDX came in a V8 option, then the V8 BMWs and MLs would really be in crap,...perhaps BMW is paying Acura not to do so, because I have no idea why they wouldnt, all they have to do is make something that is comparable with "slightly" or much better reliability and its game over. They would definatley cut some grass and make some $$$.
G-lak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: