Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

2016 MDX Floor mats, cargo tray, and cargo cover.

10K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  NewYorkMDX01 
#1 ·
Recently my wife and I purchased a 2016 MDX and I just installed a few factory accessories. The floor mats and cargo tray are self-explanatory, but I thought it would be useful to post some pictures of the parts and the install of the cargo cover.

Part numbers
08P13-TZ5-210A - FLOOR MAT, ALL-SEASON ADVANCE (1ST & 2ND ROWS)
08U45-TZ5-200B - TRAY, CARGO (FOLDING)
08U35-TZ5-210 - COVER, CARGO

Cargo cover installation instructions
08U35-TZ5-210 | Acura Cargo Cover (MDX) - Bernardi Parts

Disclaimer
This post covers the steps I took and is not meant to be a replacement for the factory instructions. You assume all responsibility for changes you make to your vehicle.

The cargo tray is of decent quality (not overly impressive). It folds to allow the 3rd row seats to be up or down, and the under-floor cargo hatch to open. The hinges are just creases in the plastic and don't lie flat but hopefully they will loosen up over time.

The floor mats are very well built and fit tightly into the footwells using the factory hold-downs. The carpet floor mats need to be removed to install these.

Both the cargo tray and the floor mats are very straightforward to install. The cargo cover is slightly more complex since it requires you to drill 4 holes and to remove 2 plastic covers. It's not difficult, but you want to make sure that the holes line up with the threaded hole for the mounting stud.

The instructions say to use 8mm and 14mm drill bits, but I don't have many metric drill bits so I used comparably sized fractional bits.

For the 8mm I used a 21/64" bit. 14mm is a little over 1/2" which pretty large for a twist bit. The body of the plastic anchor that goes through the hole is only 10.15mm, so I used a 7/16" bit which was more than large enough. Keep in mind that most cordless drills only have a 3/8" chuck so you'll need to use a bit with a reduced body diameter so it will fit in the drill.

All 4 holes should only be 10mm deep so they go through the plastic but don't damage the threads in the bolt hole. You can use a stop collar, or just some tape wrapped around the bit.

There are two depressions under the carpet that mark where the holes need to be drilled. On our car the bottom depression was about 3/16" too far forward to line up with the threaded hole behind it. Use the small bit to drill all 4 holes, and then the large bit to enlarge the bottom two holes.

The bracket is held in place using a peg and the body of the plastic anchor.

Once the holes are drilled the bracket is easy to install.

Here are the tools I used.

The plastic covers are held in place by clips. I thought they would be easy to remove, but they are actually in there very tightly and it was a fight to get them out without damaging the surrounding plastic. I used some plastic body tools from Harbor Freight.

Once you fight the covers out the cargo cover slides into place. It compresses at both ends so it can snap into the mounts.

One nice feature of the cargo cover is that it extends on both sides. The front side clips to the seat rest supports and moves in and out as the seats move forward and backward.

Here's the cargo cover in the closed position.

And in the open position.

There is a little under 15" of clearance under the cover, which is high enough to fit our stroller.

Hopefully others find this write up useful.

- Matt

See less See more
#4 ·
No, the cargo cover has to be removed. And it doesn't really stow in the vehicle either, since it's the width of one of the widest points in the interior.

I don't know how the second-gen's worked, but in the first gen you would simply remove the cargo cover from its notches and stick it into another set of notches behind the third row. It wouldn't need to extend for very long but was at least still usable as a cargo cover.

Acura made the cargo cover needlessly complicated to install. Maybe a way dealers could run up their profits by doing the installation. And the cargo cover makes odd noises especially if one uses the "front covers" that connect to the headrest posts of the second row. As the vehicle goes over bumps, they flex and make annoying noises.

#5 ·
I find it very annoying and odd that the third row floor mats are sold separately from the 1st and 2nd. I dont understand this madness.

As for cargo cover, I also did not realize you had to remove it if u wanted the third row up. That's rather annoying as well. I use a dark blanket like one of those from the airplanes to cover my trunk storage organizer from any curious eyes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.