Where's the forum Admin? - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-04-2012, 10:55 AM   #1 (permalink)

Where's the forum Admin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrisamyu View Post
With a cold engine I have to drive a block or two before I throw the P0135 code
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexasthoma View Post
It is a little difficult to route the cable back on it's original path.
I keep seeing repeater posts like the two above. The poster just repeats a single sentence from the OP??? I guess they are trying to build up their number of posts to get over some spam threshold. But when I report a posting like this, the Forum Admin does nothing.

Also it seems you loose your ability to edit your own posts after a day of so. That may be enough time for most postings. Though, if you are trying to build a set of instructions along with pictures it is not enough time. This caused me to abandon one thread and make a new thread. Now when I try to get the old thread deleted by reporting it, or by directly contacting the Forum Administrator, nothing happens!

What's up? Does this place have a Forum Admin or what?
pvcMDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 11:48 AM   #2 (permalink)

Since you just joined, it seems strange you have so many problems that don't seem to bother anyone else. Maybe you should have checked it out.

As far as wanting to put up long posts, you could probably prepare them first in Word and then copy and paste them all at once. But keep in mind, if you make a post too long most of it will be ignored.

Mostly, everyone here gets along, even when we argue. Except for spamming, I don't recall there ever being a need for an administrator to step in.
Bill_de is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 02:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_de View Post
Since you just joined, it seems strange you have so many problems that don't seem to bother anyone else. Maybe you should have checked it out.

As far as wanting to put up long posts, you could probably prepare them first in Word and then copy and paste them all at once. But keep in mind, if you make a post too long most of it will be ignored.

Mostly, everyone here gets along, even when we argue. Except for spamming, I don't recall there ever being a need for an administrator to step in.
Thanks Bill for you help or for your insult. It's hard for me to figure out which you intend? Seriously!

I don't have "so many problems". I have one problem. I don't need help in putting up long posts. I need help with edit ability or with getting rid of an old obsolete post of mine (one or the other). Are you saying I shouldn't be concerned about the correctness of my posts? I should just let it slide whether it's correct or incorrect?

Are you saying there is no Forum Administrator? Or maybe there is a Forum Administrator but he/she does not become involved with the integrity of the posts on this forum? I am curious to know, which is why I posted this thread.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

Well maybe I didn't give the reporting procedure enough time. One of the sentence repeater postings has been removed. This one:
Quote:
Originally Posted by morrisamyu
With a cold engine I have to drive a block or two before I throw the P0135 code

Old 12-04-2012, 09:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

First of all, I am not a moderator here and I do not speak on their behalf.

This forum does have several moderators, but they are not watching things here 24/7. It often takes a while, up to 24 hours, for them to address problems. But they DO get to them and address them.

The best way to alert the moderators to a problem post is by using the report button next to the post, the one that looks like this:

The posts you are referring to are created by an automated piece of software that is often nicknamed a "bot". Don't think of them as having a human's thoughts behind them, because they don't.

A few days ago, I noticed a bot had posted half a dozen posts. I reported one of them using that button, noting in the comments that there were a bunch of such posts, and by the next day the moderators had deleted them. This morning I noticed the first of the two posts you quoted, and reported them to the moderators; I assume that they have now been deleted as the result of my report. I just reported the second of the two posts, and I'm sure the moderators will take care of them as well.

Note, I am not anyone special, and it is not MY job to report problem posts; anyone can do that. So if you see any more problem posts like the bot ones you are quoting, you can report them to the moderators too, using the report button next to one of the posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvcMDX View Post
Also it seems you loose your ability to edit your own posts after a day of so. That may be enough time for most postings. Though, if you are trying to build a set of instructions along with pictures it is not enough time. This caused me to abandon one thread and make a new thread. Now when I try to get the old thread deleted by reporting it, or by directly contacting the Forum Administrator, nothing happens!
These forums have parameters set so that you can edit your posts the same day, not after the end of that day. But you can always post a reply to add additional information.

Finally, whenever you have any questions about these forums and how they work, you should post them to the appropriate forum, which is the Software Related Questions & Answers forum, not the 2001-2006 MDX forum, which is for questions about those years MDX. (I'll report this topic to the moderators to ask them to move it where it belongs, so if you seee it in that forum, it's the result of the moderators moving it there.)
Old 12-04-2012, 11:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks nsxtasy for your helpful reply.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:40 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsxtasy View Post
The best way to alert the moderators to a problem post is by using the report button next to the post, the one that looks like this:
Hmmmm; I had done that, But without results. Perhaps new members are not trusted to report other posts??

Oh, and sorry about posting this in the wrong forum.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Hmmmm; I had done that, But without results. Perhaps new members are not trusted to report other posts??
Although I can't speak on behalf of the forum moderators, I can give you my opinion based on observing these forums for years (and occasionally reporting posts and occasionally having interactions with those moderators). I do not think they would treat a report from a newer member any different than one from an old-timer. If they read a report and think there's appropriate action to be taken, they will take it, regardless of who reported it.

Whenever I haven't seen results from a report, it's usually because they just didn't get to it yet. As I noted above, sometimes it takes 24 hours, sometimes even several days, before the moderators look at a report and deal with it. I assume that here, as on most forums, the moderators are unpaid volunteers and they deal with these forums as time permits, in between jobs, families, and other obligations on their time.

In other cases, nothing happens because they don't feel an action is appropriate. That may be what is happening with your request to delete your older topic that you have superseded, if you have reported it to the moderators. (And if you haven't reported the topic, they won't even see your request; moderators generally don't read every post, and only read posts that are reported to them as problematic using the report button.) On most forum sites, moderators won't delete a topic because it has been superseded or because the creator of the topic ask them too; they prefer to leave the information out there as reference and history. Again, I am not speaking on behalf of the moderators on this site, only as an observer, but deleting your older topic per your request is generally not consistent with what moderators do on most sites.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:

Oh, and sorry about posting this in the wrong forum.
Under the text box for that button it states

Note: This is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising messages, and problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) posts.

So, you can use it to report me, but not accidental duplicate posts.
Bill_de is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: