Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Light Running Board

9K views 48 replies 7 participants last post by  vlam 
#1 ·
:2:
Finally, got my running board lighting up.
didn't see anyone post it right here so I just start this and see if anyone interested ...

About a month ago when first time X service at dealer and enjoy the coffee in the waiting room, nice sunshine afternoon. A shining X drove in and a beautiful young lady steps out the X. But the thing really caught my eyes was the running board, not the board itself but the lights on the both end of the board.
the lights were on when open the door and gradually fade out about 10 second after close the door. mmman that looks soooo cool. I need to got one of this, I thought. At the same time I heard my wife was like Woowww¡K.. and I knew I dont need to persuade her for the board no more.

Dealer said that is aftermarket 3rd party board and they dont carry that no more because the mounting kit doesn't hold very well. I dont care I just want it. I did some study for the board and post this.

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21761&highlight=running+board

Most of those boards use generic mounting kit which were for ford, gm that kind of truck. And didn't see many people install here on X. I really dont have confidence neither install them myself nor by shop store. And dont know how would that look, if they match the X or not ¡K.

So I think why not using the Acura board and install light myself. The Acura board is better looking and match with the X. At least they hold the board and I dont need to worry about it comes loose when my daughter climb up the X.

Ok, long story short. After looking many different light, light bulb, light case, ¡K. I think LED is best bet. It looks cool, pull less current, smaller, easy to mount ¡K. and cheap ¡V supposed.

I remember I could buy 10- 30 LEDs with 1 buck, 20 years ago. But time seems changed. Now they charge $1-5 each. #$%^&* ..
with a little search, I found some fair price LEDs and put them on.

:2:

See less See more
#2 ·
I can't see it too well

Maybe I'm getting too old. Your avatar is nice but it doesn't give me enough to look at. How about posting some pictures and telling us how you did it? What did you have to do to mount the LED's to the boards? Where did you tap in to power? Thanks!

#11 ·
The LED door light works fairly good. Not as bright as otiginal but still ok, I'll put it on all for doors.

it's NOT good for doom light, cargo light and tailgate light.
I try use the 5 LED module that I used on the running board for the
Just use a 194 socket which you can buy on same web site.

doom light. it looks ok. but if you want to use it for map light to read the book or map. It might hurt your sightness.
So I'll keep the all original doom, cargo, tailgate light for better lumination.
another reason is to keep warm feeling with the saddle interior.

Only 4 door light will be switched to WHITE LED.

Attachments

#14 ·
Door light LED

btw here is the LED that I am using for the door light.

it has inverted lens. The light emitted to the side but not front. I originally want to use it as doom light, but found it's not bright enough. even 5 LED set is not enough.
For the door light, I suggest use the CLEAR focus lens but not inverted lens because the door light house does't have reflector.
with front focus lens LED could be brighter.

Another benefit to use the LED door light is way less power drain be LED. it's about 20mA each LED comparing with
normal 5W bulb 5W/12V = 0.4A = 400 mA

Even without change door light to LED with all LED should still be ok without need to worry to blown the interior fuse.

I check the interior fuse is 10A (120W). with all inter light

4 x 5W doom lights 5W
2 x 5W cargo light
1 x 5W tailgate light,
4 x 3.5W door light
2 x 5W foot light

total is about 70W. still have 50W room for the LED running board.

The total LED that I put on the board is
5 x 5 white LED set
2 x 5 blue LED set
each LED usually is 20 mA max

Its about 700 mA (max) for o side.

both sides on will drain maximum 1.5A less than 20W. just about the number of 4 door 5W bulb.
and actual power drain should be lower than this because each 5 LED set should drain less pwer than 5 individual LED. why? just my guess. I guess thats the way they balance the 5 LEDs in the pack with same illumination.

So I didn't see any power issue here.
Even the worse case, interior light would not cause any dangerous on driving.

$2.5 each LED is still too much.
another try is using the 5 LED set for the door light or doom but the size doesn't match. may need to mod the door ligh house.

Attachments

#26 ·
2nd board.

Since I just install the board myself 2 couple days ago. i really dont want to re-do everything again.

Beside that, I dont want to drill any hole.
but I found without uninstalling the board, I spend more effort on laying down under and working on the wiring.
and without drilling hole. you will see the wire or elec tape if you dont mind.

on 2nd board i decided to remove the board and drill hole for wiring.
i strongly recommand to unmound the board have all wiring ready and install the board, hook up the wire.

mark the mounting bracket positions, and LED position.
I put the wire connection behind the mounting bracket in case rocks bomping up from the ground and hit the wire.

and mark the LED position and hole position.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.