How to save a dying tree? - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 07-30-2006, 11:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Send a message via AIM to laborlitigator Send a message via Yahoo to laborlitigator
How to save a dying tree?

Because one of the trees that was planted in a garden bed next to my house was getting to large, I had to move it to a spot further away from the home.

Unfortunately, the leaves started to dry up and it appears that the tree is dying.

Any suggestions?
'02 Mesa Beige, Fender Flares, Running Boards, Mud Flaps, Moonroof Visor, Burlwood nob, "wooden" steering wheel, roof rack, all season mats, HID, painted wind deflector (self installed, oh, yeah), body side molding, 6100K superbright whites, dual IKON headrests, PS2, Blitzsafe CD adapter

BMW X5 4.4
BMW M3 CiC
laborlitigator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2006, 06:21 AM   #2 (permalink)

Re: How to save a dying tree?

Quote:
Originally posted by laborlitigator
Because one of the trees that was planted in a garden bed next to my house was getting to large, I had to move it to a spot further away from the home.

Unfortunately, the leaves started to dry up and it appears that the tree is dying.

Any suggestions?
How big is the tree? Did you move it or have a professional? How much root ball was moved? Were any of the limbs pruned to decreas the load on the roots? Was the soil watered in as the rootball was placed in the new location? This gets the soil thoroughly placed around the root ball.

G
Old 07-31-2006, 06:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Send a message via AIM to laborlitigator Send a message via Yahoo to laborlitigator
Re: Re: How to save a dying tree?

Quote:
Originally posted by G. COLTON

How big is the tree? Did you move it or have a professional? How much root ball was moved? Were any of the limbs pruned to decreas the load on the roots? Was the soil watered in as the rootball was placed in the new location? This gets the soil thoroughly placed around the root ball.

G
The tree is about 6 or 7 feet tall. It was moved by my landscaper. I did not see how much of the rootball was moved. The lower limbs were pruned. I assume that the soil was watered.

The leaves have dried up on the tree. I'll get photos soon.
'02 Mesa Beige, Fender Flares, Running Boards, Mud Flaps, Moonroof Visor, Burlwood nob, "wooden" steering wheel, roof rack, all season mats, HID, painted wind deflector (self installed, oh, yeah), body side molding, 6100K superbright whites, dual IKON headrests, PS2, Blitzsafe CD adapter

BMW X5 4.4
BMW M3 CiC
Old 07-31-2006, 07:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

The tree might just be in shock. Make sure it has enough water (1 inch per week). There really isn't much more you can do, other than a few prayers.

Bye Bye- 2005 Blue Steel, Navi, OEM tow, CDT Audio EF 61CFi speakers
Bye Bye- 2003 Touring w/OEM Tow; SS/Qrtz.
"Often Wrong, Never in Doubt"
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2006, 07:40 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by shootist
The tree might just be in shock. Make sure it has enough water (1 inch per week).
That's probably what it is. I had my entire lawn removed and re-sodded 2 years ago and what few trees I have dropped their leaves due to shock (in May). All survived.
<font color="black"><B>'03</B></font> <font color="white"><B>Taffeta White</B></font>/<font color="#999966"><B>Saddle</B></font> <B>Touring/Navi MDX</B> (delivered 1.20.03)
<font color="black"><B>'08</B></font> <font color="#2002ff"><B>Belize Blue</B></font> <B>Accord Coupe V6</B> (purchased 9.1.08)
<font color="#000080" size="8">
<B>Interior:</B> 20% tint front windows, '04 Saddle/Burlwood Shift Kn0b, WT Mats (F&R), Cargo Net, Cargo Tray, Black Caribiners<BR>
<B>Exterior:</B> SS Sidesteps, BSM, de-badged tailgate, Trim-Gard white door-edge trim (removed 8/05)<BR>
<B>A/V:</B> Infinity 652i (rear), Infinity 605CS (front), Eclipse 12" Aluminum series (sub), JL Audio 300/4, JLAudio 500/1, Boss DVD Player, TView 7" WS flip-down LCD, Zune, Blitzsafe w/DPDT switch between Zune and DVD</font>
crmsnidol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2006, 07:54 AM   #6 (permalink)

Re: Re: Re: How to save a dying tree?

Quote:

The tree is about 6 or 7 feet tall. It was moved by my landscaper. I did not see how much of the rootball was moved. The lower limbs were pruned. I assume that the soil was watered.

The leaves have dried up on the tree. I'll get photos soon.
That is a small tree to move. If he did the job proberly there should be no problem. I do not know what kind of soil you have, but you may need to water every day for sometime and then go to every other day. Make sure you put enough water to reach to the bottom of the root ball. Do not just use your yard sprinklers for this watering. Place a small sprinkler at the base of the tree or use a hose with no sprinkler.

Good luck.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:55 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by shootist
The tree might just be in shock. Make sure it has enough water (1 inch per week). There really isn't much more you can do, other than a few prayers.
You are correct that it may be in shock.

One inch per week is insufficient for a just transplanted tree. That would be fine once it gets established again but in the meantime more is needed.

G
Old 07-31-2006, 08:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

So just watering?

No magic pill I can use?!

BMW X5 4.4
BMW M3 CiC
Old 07-31-2006, 09:44 AM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to cardingtr Send a message via AIM to cardingtr Send a message via Yahoo to cardingtr
Frequent watering also delivers much needed oxygen straight to the roots. Sometimes the planters compact the soil too much or plant the trees too deep.
03 Honda Accord EX
cardingtr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2006, 12:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

Might want to give a shot of 10-10-10 all purpose fertilizer.
I sprinkled it around a couple of newly planted fruit trees a couple of months ago, and the amount of new growth has been terrific.
2002 Black touring w/nav, ebony interior, tailgate deflector, Form Fit front air deflector, BSM, mudguards, 4 Infinities, cargo liner, cargo cover, wood shifter, wood dash kit, cargo mat, moonroof visor, separation net, full size spare, 6yr/100,000 extended warranty
2002 BMW 530i w/lots of goodies
Maik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2006, 04:14 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
So just watering?

No magic pill I can use?!
Yes. Forgot about that. Root stimulator would be good to use. See your local nursery. People in mass merchandiser stores not likely to be knowledgable.

G
Old 07-31-2006, 04:17 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Maik
Might want to give a shot of 10-10-10 all purpose fertilizer.
I sprinkled it around a couple of newly planted fruit trees a couple of months ago, and the amount of new growth has been terrific.
DO NOT NOW use any general purpose fertilizer. You to not want the nitrogen to stimulate leaf and limb growth. AFTER the tree has been in the ground a FEW MONTHS and shows signs of being well again use a SLOW RELEASE nitrogen product. Something like an organic 6-6-6 would be OK.

G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: