Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Extended Warranty question

5K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  mrgold35 
#1 ·
I read on the Acura website that Acura Care extended warranty has to be purchased from dealer when you buy your CPO vehicle. Is this true or can we purchase on from another dealer (like Curry Acura) for our CPO '11 MDX?

From the Acura website:
Acura Care® Certified Additional Coverage can ONLY be purchased from the dealership at the time the Acura Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle is purchased or leased.

Also, does the extended warranty need to be purchased before the original factory warranty expires, or does the CPO warranty extend that? For example, do we need to buy before the vehicle hits 49999 miles or 61999

#2 ·
I purchased my Acura Care 5yr/120,000 miles extended warranty for my 11 MDX Adv/Ent with 46,XXX miles on the odo for $2390. I got mine from a Acura dealership in AZ and I live in NM. The New Mexico dealership wanted $500 more for the same coverage (higher price+local sales tax, no sales tax on-line). Most of it was done with email and phone. They sent me paperwork to sign; but, a very easy and trouble-free transaction. My MDX was purchase used from a Honda dealership in CO in Jan/14 with no CPO attached to it. I needed to purchase the extended warranty before 50,000 miles and under 4 yrs (my 4 yrs was up in Jan/15). I usually don't get extended warranties; but, my MDX needed front ADS magnetic shocks and front endlinks replaced at 40,000K (about $3000 covered by basic 4/50,000 warranty). Didn't want to take a chance for the next 5 yrs.

I don't know if the CPO warranty is the same as the basic 4yr/50,000K or closer to the Acura Care warranty? The Acura care warranty won't cover items like HIDs (condensation, UV damage, burnt out bulb) while the basic 4 yr/50,000K would.

#5 ·
I had a similar question. I bought a CPO '11 last week and didnt buy the extended acuracare that would have covered it for 7yr/100k for an additional $1500. I'm kind of second guessing myself now and wondering if I can still buy it. They made me sign something saying that I am declining the acuracare warranty.

#6 ·
There are so many variations with the Acura Care warranty and I'm not sure the complete list and terms of the Acura Care products. Acura care is an easy money maker for them because it doesn't pay until the 4yr/50,000 runs out for most items AND the 6 yr/70,000 powertrain is over for the rest.

I called the Acura warranty folks and gave them my VIN to find out when my factory warranty was going to expire; which is Jan/15 (purchased MDX used). If you are under the 4yr/50,000 miles from original purchase date, you should be able to purchase on-line (can save $$ because of no sales tax). Might have to call the Acura folks about the signed paperwork declining at time of purchase. I would call several dealership to ask the same questions because they seem to all have different answers for the same question.:confused:

Realistically; if my MDX was a 1st or 2nd model year (like the 14/15 model) or Advance model any year, I would consider the extended warranty. The extended warranty would cost the same for a base or Adv model; but, more thing cold go wrong with the adv models.

#8 ·
So if I were planning on getting an extended warranty, it would be smart to negotiate the "wrap" warranty with the price of the car? Is this something you can negotiate on? Also, hat do you mean by "MUCH" cheaper? I was just planning on buying an Acura Care Plan, probably the 4 years, 80k miles coverage, (I believe it was plan G48) I was given a quote of $1390

#11 ·
I've used my Acura Care warranty twice on my 11 MDX Adv for both front seat heaters that went out about 1 1/2 years apart. My MDX was purchased used from a Honda dealership non-CPO in Jan/14. The last time I used the warranty, I even was given a 16 MDX tech as a loaner for a few days while they replaced the heater and call in a local upholstery person to put the seat back together. I usually call or email first to find out if the issue I'm having is covered by the Acura Care Extended Warranty first. So far, it has been just the $600 for two seat heaters from my initial $2390 5/120 warranty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.