Towing the MDX behind an RV - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-04-2002, 11:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

Question Towing the MDX behind an RV

Is anyone towing the 2003 MDX behind an RV? I was wondering if there is anyone who could look in their owners manual and tell me the procedure it gives for towing the MDX behind an RV? I am about ready to purchase an MDX, but I need to know the towing procedures first?

Also, can anyone recommend a good tow bracket, and tow bar?
RWhisnant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2002, 12:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

I seem to remember something in the manual saying the X cannot be towed....

2007 TL w/NAV - White Diamond Pearl/Taupe

2014 MDX TECH - Graphite Luster Metallic/Ebony, DEALER THREW IN: Cargo Cover, All Weather Mats, Folding Cargo Tray, Wheel Locks, Tint
I BOUGHT: Advance Running Boards, Splash Guards, Cargo Net, Body Side Moulding
ayanomich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2002, 12:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to TheWorm Send a message via Yahoo to TheWorm
Yes, it CAN be towed. Do a search for "motorhome" and a couple of threads will pop up.
tailgate deflector | silver powdercoated Acura steps | moonroof visor | full wood dash+wheel+shiftknob | startac/timeport phone kit | video system | BSMs | mud flaps | cargo stuff | backup sensors | XenonDepot 4300k HIDs | Sylvania SilverStar fogs and highs | DRL kit | zaino

'07 BMW 550i

'04 Infiniti G35 Coupe - in good hands of a fellow X'er
TheWorm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2002, 12:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
JTM

Send a message via ICQ to JTM Send a message via AIM to JTM Send a message via Yahoo to JTM
In my memory....

I remember that if the MDX needs to be tow, it will need a FLATBED tow truck. If you tow by either front wheels or rear wheels, it might damage the VTM/transmission.
- Un-tinted Windows and NO Accessories

2002 Silver MDX with Touring (Ordered 8/5/2001, Picked Up 3/1/2002)
- OEM Interior : Cargo Net & Cargo Tray
- OEM Exterior : Running Board, Rear Mud Guard, 2 Bike Attachment, Body Side Molding, Wheel Lock & Full Size Spare
- Aftermarket Exterior : FormFit Front Deflector, Door Edge Trim, Silver Star Low Beam, & 35% front windows tinted.

2004 Honda Accord EX-L
- Wheel Lock, Mud Guards, & 35% windows tinted.

2009 Acura TL w/ Tech Package

1993 Nissan Maxima SE -- Retired
JTM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2002, 12:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

MDX may be towed behind a motorhome...

I have towed my MDX behind my motor home many times. Basically, you have to tow it with all 4 wheels on the road and you may not drive over 65 mph. Just before towing, you have to start the MDX and shift through all the gears, then let it run in neutral for 3 minutes.

I have the name of the towbar in my motor home which is 1,500 miles from me now, but it's the type where only the mounting bracket remains on the car when it is not being towed behind the motorhome. Two telescoping trailing arms remain attached to the motor home's hitch. This is the newest type of tow bar and it's the best way to go IMO.

You can't tow the MDX with two wheels off the road or you will damage the transmission. If the MDX breaks down, it must be winched onto a flat-bed tow truck.
oceanMDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2002, 04:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

RWhisnant:

One of the primary reasons I purchased an X was the fact that it can be towed "4 down". The limits are 65 mph and you must start it a go through the gears as outlined above, every 8 hours. I use a Roadmaster tow bar and shield. I have pulled two different Jeep GC with it and the folks at Roadmaster are simply SUPER, as good customer service as you'll ever find. I'm having the 3M Car Bra material (I also have it on the front of my motor coach) put on and I use the Roadmaster shield to cut down on the "road rash". Even without the 3M Car Bra my last Jeep looked great after three winter of towing, a total of nearly 40k miles. I'm installing the base plates and wiring the X myself. The new Roadmaster mounting plates sit back in the grill and are nearly invisible when your not towing. I have a friend in LV that has been towing an X for two years now with no problems, he's very pleased. If you need more info drop me a note.

'05 White/Touring/Nav/Gold Trim/Chrome Side Steps/Burlwood Shift Knob/Rear Spoiler/Cargo Cover/Cargo Net/3M Car Bra/Tow Package/Wheel Locks/full size spare - delivered 9/115/05
Lance Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2014, 05:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Question Question about 2001 MDX motorhome towing procedure

We have just run our first trip towing our 2001 MDX with the AWD 5 speed automatic behind our motorhome. Car still ran fine after 300 mile one-way tow so I guess I did it right. Procedure in manual is well explained but does not cover how long the MDX can sit after towing and then resume towing (say, after a 3 hour stop at an attraction) without having to repeat the "towing startup" procedure. Does anyone who tows the MDX have a comment?

Also, if running the engine for 3 minutes is the recommendation, would warming the vehicle by driving it first and then running the procedure be better? Or, just running it 5 minutes "to be sure"?

The MDX tows and tracks beautifully. I was glad to see it does not record towed miles. I'll see after a while how it affects tire wear (hopefully, not at all).

For anyone outfitting the MDX to tow, I found that existing hole in firewall for electrical cable could not be used for my needs (Brake Buddy direct 12 volt connect cable, Brake buddy break-away cable, and 4 wire light harness (I use tacky old magnetic towing lights). Too much wire to get through that grommet so I drilled a 5/8" hole above and to the right of where the throttle cable came through the firewall. Still need to get a grommet fabricated but all the functions work ok.

Harry
xbigblue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: