Snow Tire Recommendation? - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-23-2002, 11:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

Snow Tire Recommendation?

I'm considering installing snow tires (on steel rims) on my 2003 X for better winter traction and to protect the rims from winter salt damage. (Lots of snow and salt in this region of Ontario, Canada) My dealer said that 16" rims from a 3.2 TL (p/n 42700-S0X-A01) will fit on my X. Looks like I can use a 235/70-R16 size that would be equivalent (ie rolling radius and load rating) to the stock 235/65-R17 size. I'm considering Michelin Artic Alpin or 4X4 Alpin tires.
Does anyone have any recommendations?
2003 Honda Accord EX-L,4cyl,5 speed
2009 Acura MDX Tech, Bali Blue Pearl
2006 BMW K1200LT
RealWing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2002, 12:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

Arrow Actually, if I'm not mistaken......

..........you could probably use the 16" rims that are used on the HONDA PILOT (I think the base LX comes with steel wheels) .......I would imagine that these would be a better choice because of similar tire width (I think the TL uses 205mm wide tires)

2000 Lexus LS 400 Black/Beige Nakamichi/ HIDs/Heated seats/Air suspension

2003 Acura MDX - Midnight Blue Pearl/NAV/RES with Tow package (SOLD)
vicpai is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2002, 01:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

Check out the rim and snow tire package offered for $784 at the Tire Rack.

www.tirerack.com

They are 16" Sport Edition Valore alloy wheels with Artic-Alpine tires.
Old 11-23-2002, 11:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

RealWing

Could you please fire me an e-mail of your MOPAR beauties! Superbird! That must get some attention at the mall
I can only lay claim to one current MOPAR machine, but a few in the past.....

'67 Corvette convertible
rroof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2002, 11:24 AM   #5 (permalink)

Nokian WR

I'm reposting this from a recent thread
Winter driving....Snow tires.
I should be receiving these Nokian WR tires this week.

Winter Driving.... Snow Tires

Winter tires:
I wasn't satisfied with the snow/ice handling last winter with the Michelin all weather cross terrains so I've been doing a fair amount of research to get the same size stock 235/65-R17
snow tires after reading reviews and speaking with some tire shops in Colorado and Chicago I've decided to try the new
Nokian WR. I've only heard amazing things about this tire. It's predecessor the NRW was given a great review in Nov 2002 Consumer reports except for wet handling/braking. This new Nokian WR has resolved that issue and comes with a 50,000 mile tread warranty. (It also comes in H 130 mph and V 150 mph rating).

I ordered mine from etires for $146/ tire +$36 total shipping
I also called meadowcreek who should have them in by the beginning of next week for ~$134/tire but shipping costs~15/tire

http://www.etires.com/
ph#877-463-8473 (outside of Chicago)

http://www.meadowcreektire.com/nokian/index.htm

phone#800-222-7360 (out of Colorado)

I hope to see significant improvement in snow /ice traction and I'll try to report back after I've had some significant experience with them.

Has anyone on this board had experience with these tires?

Info and report on the Nokian WR:

The Nokian WR is the next generation of "All Weather Plus" tires, replacing the wildly popular Nokian NRW.

Nokian testing shows the WR offers significant improvements over the NRW in areas such as snow traction, slush-planning, and especially wet braking, without sacrificing the ride comfort and long tread life that Nokian customers have enjoyed for years.

The Nokian WR carries a "mountain/snowflake" designation, which means it has passed the industry testing for severe winter driving and so it is officially a winter tire. But with a 50,000 mile tread life warranty, and luxurious quiet ride, many of our customers drive the tire year round, saving themselves the expense and hassle of changing over their snow tires each year.

Due to the exceptional snow and ice traction provided by the WR's unique tread compound and tread design, these tires must be used in sets of four to help ensure proper vehicle control.

http://www.kauppalehti.fi/ys/reports/20020205/35.html

Nokian Tyres Oyj Press release 5 February 2002 3.30 p.m. 1/1

A NEW WINTER TYRE FROM NOKIAN TYRES FOR FAST DRIVING

Nokian Tyres is launching a new tyre to the market. The Nokian WR
reflects the know-how of the Nordic tyre factory in the field of
high-performance winter tyres. The Nokian WR is developed in
particular for the needs of drivers in Central Europe, and what is
known as the all weather plus category, in the North American
markets. The product is manufactured in T, H, V and W speed
categories, which clearly show a stronger growth than other tyre
segments.

The size range covers the most important tyre sizes of Europe and
the US. One particular size (235/50 R 18 W) is intended for top
speed driving (270 km/hour), and is the world's fastest winter tyre.
The products will be available world-wide for consumers in Autumn

The Nokian WR is developed for fast driving and changing wintery
conditions. Special emphasis has been placed on the tyre's handling
and wet grip properties. The Nokian WR tread is a new full silica
compound that considerably increases
the tyre's wet grip and wear.

The innovative product replaces the Nokian NRW winter tyre, which
achieved excellent test results in Autumn 2001 published by
significant German magazines.

Nokian Tyres plc

Raila Hietala-Hellman
Vice President, Public Information

For additional information: Mr. Kim Gran, President and
CEO,telephone (03) 340 7336.
Old 11-24-2002, 11:31 AM   #6 (permalink)

Pirelli Ice and Snow

You may also want to look into the Pirelli Ice and Snow tires 235/65-R17

These tires are readily available in Canada but
not here in the USA

My research suggested the Nokian WR were still the better tire.

Good Luck
Old 12-03-2002, 09:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

Nokian WR Review

I just found this.

http://www.frontiernet.net/~werner/S...d%20Annual.pdf

In summary:

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2002/12/prweb51599.php

December 1, 2002

The Snow Tire FAQ Announces First Ever Recommended Light Truck Tire

This morning, The Snow Tire FAQ (http://www.snowtire.info) entered a new realm with the announcement that it has added a Light Truck Tire, the Nokian WR, to its list of recommended snow tires.

Fairport, NY This morning, The Snow Tire FAQ (http://www.snowtire.info) entered a new realm with the announcement that it has added a Light Truck Tire, the Nokian WR, to its list of recommended snow tires.

As the vehicle demographics of the nation have changed over the eight years of the Snow Tire FAQ, there has been a steady increase the number of requests for recommendations of light truck tires. People are learning that a 4WD only helps if the tires can get a grip on something. The 'all-season' tires that most 4WD come equipped with just don't cut it when it comes to real snow.

The Nokian WR tire is the first Light Truck tire to be recommended by the Snow Tire FAQ. The [Nokian WR] is truly a great tire and is well deserving of its 'All-Weather' monicur. Not only does it provide exceptional grip and stability in snow, it beats the handling and feel of many all-season tires on dry summer roads - something I did not think possible! (John Werner, Editor of The Snow Tire FAQ)

The WR is the first tire to receive the Recommend by The Snow Tire FAQ stamp of approval. This mark indicates that the snow tire has been tested by The Snow Tire FAQ and is a tire that the testers would recommend to their family and friends.

The Nokian WR joins a strong list of tires that have already been recommended. The complete list can be found on The Snow Tire FAQ website, http://www.snowtire.info. A detailed review of the Nokian WR and other tires that have been tested in the Real World Snow Tire Tests can also be found at the site.

About The Snow Tire FAQ

The Snow Tire FAQ is an independently operated, non-commercial site providing information on Snow Tires. I make my living writing software for a small company located near Rochester, NY. I don't sell tires. I don't even get advertising revenue from tire manufacturers, says editor John Werner.

During the winter months, the site will often have well over 100 visitors per day, with peak days coming close to 300 per day. I had no idea how popular the site had become until I stopped and looked at the hit counters. The hit counters explained why I was getting so much mail about snow tires. One interesting thing about the hit counters is that I can tell that there is a snowstorm somewhere without even looking at the weather. When a snowstorm hits, people start looking for snow tire information.

For Additional Information, Please Contact:

John Werner
The Snow Tire FAQ
http://www.snowtire.info
(585) 223-2036
flybrick@frontiernet.net

P.S.
Meadow Creek Tire Wholesalers in Colorado (see previous post) now has 100s of these 235/65/R17 in stock at $133.95 each
Old 12-03-2002, 10:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

After extensive research come Saturday my X will be sporting Nokian's! Do your homework and you too will be impressed with Sweedens best export this side of thier meatballs... Nokian Tires!
buhmabee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2002, 06:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

Follow up... Put the Nokian tires on my MDX Thursday. Friday got 9" of snow. Drove around like a madman. Dang, these tires are awesome. Shopped until the stores closed. Due to the snow the stores were empty. My Nokian equipped MDX handled the snow beautifully. I recommend these tires big time.
Old 12-09-2002, 03:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

Arrow ?? PSI for 235/65R17 108V NOKIAN WR XL

I just received my Nokian WR 235/65R17 108V XL from Fedex courtesy of Meadow Creek tires in Colorado.

The tires are rated XL for Extra Load and V for 149 MPH
My question for buhmabee or whoever knows.....

What is the proper tire pressure for these tires?
The Sidewall states Max 51 PSI.

I'm sure 51 PSI is way to high. Would using 32 PSI for this type of tire be considered underinflated?

Thanks for your input.
Old 12-09-2002, 07:20 PM   #11 (permalink)

got this from the Nokian Web site. It's also in the little booklet your given when you pick up your tires.
Frequently Asked Questions
How often should you check the air pressure in your tires?

We suggest you check at least once a month. That should be often enough to maintain an even pressure. Remember, however, that weather will have an affect on the pressure. For every 10 degree change in the temperature, the tire will either lose or gain 1 psi. A tire will drop pressure when it gets colder and will increase in pressure as it gets hotter.

How much air pressure should I have in my Nokian winter tires?

All of the Nokian winter tires have a safety warning on the sidewall that states: MAX INFLATION PRESSURE 44 PSI. This means that this is the highest pressure allowable. Most cars, vans and SUV's do not need this much air pressure. Please use the following as a general guideline: "Nokian Winter Tires should have a 3 PSI more pressure than the car manufacturer's recommendations on the front axle, and the rear axle should have 3 PSI more than the front axle." (e.g. recommended 24 psi, front 27 psi, rear 30 psi.)
Old 12-10-2002, 02:27 PM   #12 (permalink)

Thumbs up NOKIAN WR XL 235/65R17 108V

Well, I had my new Nokian WRs installed on OEM Base 2001 Acura rims that I purchased from eBay. Costco balanced , mounted and switched Michelin Cross terrains and Touring Wheels....all for $36.00. They kept pressure at 32 PSI as suggested by Acura.

Then I had about 30 miles of Highway driving last night on dry pavement averaging 80 MPH and I have to say the tires were extremely quiet with exceptional handling. I had the same comfortable drive into work this AM.

I also drove on my local roads that had a thin film of ice and snow and was once again quite pleased with my decision to go from the Michellin Cross Terrains to these Nokians.

BTW, the Costco Tire dealer was pretty amazed that these Nokian WRs had a 500 tread rating in addition to the Mountain and snowflake emblem certifying it's winter snow/ice capabilities.

For some reason I received the higher rated
V 108 XL Nokian WR tires (for $133.95/tire!)

Ok Really happy thus far. Will report back after next major snow fall.
Old 12-10-2002, 03:39 PM   #13 (permalink)

mystMDX,

Good to hear your happy with your Nokian's. In addition to the comfortable ride they are good looking tires. Question did you get free tire rotation with your installer? I did, and with the amount of driving I do it'll save me a bundle. Enjoy and ride safe.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: