Drive-by-Wire Throttle -- What's The Big Deal - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.
Old 10-31-2002, 03:18 AM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Drive-by-Wire Throttle -- What's The Big Deal

Okay, I know what a drive-by-wire system is, but what actual benefit does the MDX's dire-by-wire throttle deliver?

2003 Midnight Blue Pearl Touring/Navi/RES
jeffster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2002, 08:00 AM   #2 (permalink)

Don't know

My 02 Toyota Tundra has it and the only thing I have noticed is the gas petal doesn't go up and down while on cruise like the old days. I'm sure there are benefits but I would never have known the truck had it if I hadn't read about it. IMHO it’s just another item on the “might fail” list and a scary one at that. I would hope that logic is built into it to just shut off the gas flow if it senses something wrong.

Niles

2006 Jeep Commander

'02 Toyota Tundra TRD 2WD (Mine)
nwaring is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2002, 08:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Re: Drive-by-Wire Throttle -- What's The Big Deal

Quote:
Originally posted by jeffster
Okay, I know what a drive-by-wire system is, but what actual benefit does the MDX's dire-by-wire throttle deliver?
Do a search there is more info on it including links to how it works, and why.
DaleB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2002, 09:14 AM   #4 (permalink)

Another benefit for Auto makers is that it is very easy to make right and left hand drive vehicles (read CHEAP).

It is a kind of a scary thought that the brakes aren't directly linked by a cable/hydraulic line to the pedal and there is no steering column.. But air travel is still the safest form of travel and they have been drive by wire for years and years....

2001 Volvo V70.
dakster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2002, 09:54 AM   #5 (permalink)

We're talking about the throttle only...the brakes are NOT drive-by-wire.
g_dog01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2002, 12:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

Isearched for wire andthrottle, and didn't find anything other than a bunch of postings that the feature is new for 03. Any idea what thread subject I should try to locate?

Old 10-31-2002, 12:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

From the driver's perspective, it makes little difference as you will notice little change. What it does do is make it easier for the manufacturer to interface such things as cruise control, traction control, VSA and the like that need to be able to interact with the throttle.

Tom

Quote:
mogur is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2002, 12:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

If we're talking throttle only, then we should still have a steering column, too. I think Mercedes has a car that's fully drive-by-wire, including steering. I'm a little leary of having software in sole control of how my steering inputs get to the wheels... But on the '03 MDX, software throttle doesn't really scare me.
Old 10-31-2002, 02:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Actual benefits:

#1 Makes throttle response feel snappier. The amount of pressure your foot/ accelerator linkage puts on a throttle cable is not linear. Further, the angle/percentage opened of the air-valve may not be linear. Drive-by-wire/electronic throttle fixes that. Every extra "push" results in more "go".

#2 Shifting. The throttle can be eased for a FRACTION of a second as the RPMs hit the tranny's shift point. This makes the wear& tear on the tranny significant;y reduced. It allows for a bit more MPG (as the shift completes quicker) and ensures that the shifting in general feels more solid.

#3 VSC. Without electronic throttle control the VSC would need a secondary means of controlling the throttle. By using a single control method the VSC can respond quicker and more smoothly.

#4 VTM. By coordinating info from the VTM into the electronic throttle control there is a smoother transfer of power. Should make the already very smooth VTM all but invisible

#5 Idle. By employing electronic throttle control there is a greater range of idle speeds. May help for faster warm-up, reduced emissions.

#6 Data. It is much easier to use the electronic throttle control as in input to the adaptive ECM's "block learn" mode. It can measure/compute "velocity delta" for the accelerator pedal and determine when the driver is "stomping on it" versus heading up a hill. The sensors that measure throttle input are pretty simple, but when combined with a high sampling rate/clock info such correlations are easy. Much more costly/complicated to do this with inertial sensors and such.

There may be others, this from info I have gleaned from a few google searches...
renov8r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2002, 03:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Hi Renov8r:

___Thanks for the detailed information … It truly sounds like it is needed for all the new vehicle stability and control features but I just hope that it never fails because it sounds very expensive sans a simple throttle cable replacement.
Quote:
It is a kind of a scary thought that the brakes aren't directly linked by a cable/hydraulic line to the pedal and there is no steering column. But air travel is still the safest form of travel and they have been drive by wire for years and years...
___Dakster, the only problem is that if the plane that you happen to be flying in - fly by wire system completely fails, you will probably not be long with this world … In the MDX, you may still stand half a chance

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net
xcel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2002, 04:37 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by jonnygoodboy
If we're talking throttle only, then we should still have a steering column, too. I think Mercedes has a car that's fully drive-by-wire, including steering. I'm a little leary of having software in sole control of how my steering inputs get to the wheels... But on the '03 MDX, software throttle doesn't really scare me.
Don't have to look too far. Remember the Acura DN-X concept? Now that car had some gadgetry.
Awais is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2002, 04:44 PM   #12 (permalink)

Thanx

Thanks, renov8r -- those are some good tangible benefits.

Now if only I can find a MDX before my lease is up, in the color and trim I want!

Old 11-01-2002, 11:11 AM   #13 (permalink)

Re: Re: Drive-by-Wire Throttle -- What's The Big Deal

Quote:
Originally posted by renov8r

Actual benefits:

#2 Shifting. The throttle can be eased for a FRACTION of a second as the RPMs hit the tranny's shift point. This makes the wear& tear on the tranny significant;y reduced. It allows for a bit more MPG (as the shift completes quicker) and ensures that the shifting in general feels more solid.

Actually, this is rarely done using the throttle vavle since the response time is too slow. It is normally done by momentarily retarding the ignition timing.

#5 Idle. By employing electronic throttle control there is a greater range of idle speeds. May help for faster warm-up, reduced emissions.

A throttle is too coarse for accurate idle speed control and this is usually done with a separate IAC vavle.

#6 Data. It is much easier to use the electronic throttle control as in input to the adaptive ECM's "block learn" mode. It can measure/compute "velocity delta" for the accelerator pedal and determine when the driver is "stomping on it" versus heading up a hill. The sensors that measure throttle input are pretty simple, but when combined with a high sampling rate/clock info such correlations are easy. Much more costly/complicated to do this with inertial sensors and such.

Mechanical throttles use a thottle position indicator potentiometer to supply this information. The data produced is very much the same, just the method differs.

Cruise control and VSC interface is the primary reason for DBW.

mogur is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2002, 03:59 PM   #14 (permalink)

Our local paper yesterday had an article on the latest automotive technology, including drive by wire. Apparently electronic throttle control/drive by wire(DBW) can increase gas mileage by up to 5% due to the more efficient power/shifting control possible using this technology.
feliz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2002, 01:45 AM   #15 (permalink)

I bet that is how they were able to keep the gas mileage the same while increasing the horsepower by 20.
Wood Wheel, Wood Shift Knob, Wood Meter Panel, Side Steps, Tailgate Deflector, Lower Trim, 2004 Body Side Moulding, Splash Guards, Wheel Locks, Clifford Solaris Alarm System with Auto Start, Phillips Bluevision Fogs, Piaa Super Plasma 5000K High Beams, StageII HID 6000k Ultinon Low Beams, Zaino/Klasse Polish, 15% HP SunTek Tinted Front Windows, 20% HP Suntek Tint Over Stock Tint On All Rear Windows, Acura All-Season Floor Mats, 7 Year/100,000 Mile Acura Care Extended Warranty, Removed MDX Logo from Hatch, 2003 Headrests & Leather Armrest, Center Row Full Headrests, Cargo Tray, Genax Rear Brush Barz & Cargo Net.
Pauls MDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: