Throttle cut off when you brake on 2012 MDX - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-25-2013, 07:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Throttle cut off when you brake on 2012 MDX

Has anyone got a fix or work around for the throttle cut out when you touch the brakes on the 2012 MDX? I didn't run into the issue until after I took delivery when I traded in my 04. I thought it was a problem but the service guys said it was a safety feature. I am a spirited two foot driver and this issue has become a safety concern. If the brake is barely touched, the throttle is cut and it takes a couple of seconds to come back. Several times I have been caught out with my foot down and going nowhere. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
leotravino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 10:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Never noticed any lag on my 2012 but then I don't use 2 feet.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
tolson37 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 10:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leotravino View Post
Has anyone got a fix or work around for the throttle cut out when you touch the brakes on the 2012 MDX? I didn't run into the issue until after I took delivery when I traded in my 04. I thought it was a problem but the service guys said it was a safety feature. I am a spirited two foot driver and this issue has become a safety concern. If the brake is barely touched, the throttle is cut and it takes a couple of seconds to come back. Several times I have been caught out with my foot down and going nowhere. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I have to try it tomorrow, but I'm guessing if this is true it probably had to do with the Toyota lawsuits.

wrestrepo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 11:47 AM   #4 (permalink)

I haven't noticed this at all on my '12. I'm able preload the torque converter all the way up to 2k rpm with my foot on the brake.
Edward98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 10:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

Have you tried touching the brake while accelerating? On mine when you move away from a stop and still have your foot on the gas and touch the brake the accelerator disconnects. Your dead in the water until your foot is off the brake.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

What the OP states is true. I tested it out tonight. But, it'll never affect almost any MDX driver. Ever.

-Drop Stop
-Opti-Guard
-OEM Roof Rails
-OEM Cross Bars
-OEM Rear Lower Trim
-OEM Front Lower Trim
-OEM Hood Air Deflector
-OEM Side Steps-Chrome
-Nokya H11 Hyper Yellow fogs
-WeatherTech FloorLiner™ DigitalFit® 3rd Row All Season Floor Mat
princelybug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 12:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have a 2012 and tested it out today, and yes, the throttle is cut off when you apply both at he same time.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

I've never experienced that in my 2012. I'm driving it today and will give it a try though.. Are you heel and toeing your MDX?

hnr949 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 07:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

Not so much heel and toe as trail braking into a corner or sharp turn and then accelerating away. It never a happened on my 04 and I didn't find the problem on the X5 or Porsche SUV. It wouldn't be so bad if it didn't intrude at such a low threshold. I'm hoping for a fix, either an adjustment or software update.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Not so much heel and toe as trail braking into a corner or sharp turn and then accelerating away. It never a happened on my 04 and I didn't find the problem on the X5 or Porsche SUV. It wouldn't be so bad if it didn't intrude at such a low threshold. I'm hoping for a fix, either an adjustment or software update.
It will never happen. They installed the override for a reason. As a matter of fact, is that legislation? Or forthcoming legislation?
Old 02-07-2013, 02:45 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:

Ok, let's take your driving into its phases.

If you are trail braking (an SUV or not), it implies you have some basic concept of tracking. Trail braking does two things: keeps the momentum of your speed and also decreases understeer (with more bite on the front tires). But the price you pay is more wear on your brakes and front tires. Unless you are on a track with your MDX, this is not for street driving.

Since you are a spirited drive, the solution is not to disengage a safety feature but to maximize the features you have.

You are driving an all wheel drive which means you technically have more control of the car during its entire path from turn it to apex to track out - all other things being equal.

Therefore, try to brake a bit earlier or a bit harder to have a bit more weight transfer to the front wheels at entry and help with steering grip then get back on the gas pedal to increase traction, and keep squeezing the gas as needed to full throttle at track out. Being an all wheel drive, the rears will hep. [FYI the new RLX comes with rear wheel toe steering.]
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: