MDXs performance in extremely cold conditions!!! - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-24-2013, 10:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

MDXs performance in extremely cold conditions!!!

The weather in Ottawa, Canada has been horrific this winter. We've been experiencing lows of -32 C / - 29 F for the past few days. I'm not particularly impressed with how the electronics have been performing in the MDX. The driver presets won't work, much less even light-up indicating the drivers position. I have to manually move the telescopic steering to my position. I'm also receiving a false reading with the tire pressure monitoring system. Two nights ago i received a warning with the rear left tire; this morning I received warning with the front passenger tire. Also, if I accelerate while turning a corner I hear a rattling sound coming from the rear tires. I suspect the rear diff is acting up in the cold.

I am impressed that the X will turn on with the car starter in these conditions, however, it takes several tries to get the X to start. This morning, the temp had dropped to -42 C, it took me 9 tries before the X started - and no I don't have a bloc heater. I was impressed!

Anybody have similar experiences with their X in extreme cold conditions.
I'm not worried about the seating position indicator not function or the tire monitor system; I chalk it up to the extreme cold. I am concerned with the noise coming from the rear of the vehicle while taking a corner. Any body have any guesses?? I'll be calling my dealer tomorrow.
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 01:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
kgb

there are a few threads here about the same issue, it is a common issue in a sever cold. mine does the same thing minus the noise.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Fab

I think my car might take half a second more to start up in the cold but nothing too major.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:30 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab View Post
I think my car might take half a second more to start up in the cold but nothing too major.
Lol you live in/near San Francisco. What you think is cold... is well... not
10 degrees here yesterday...

Yeah, you may have voted for me, but don't expect me to work for you. I'm too busy catering to the people who funded my election and to the people who bribe me. And remember, if anything goes wrong it's anyone else's fault but mine, in fact it was probably yours. You must be wondering why all this is legal. Well, son, I make the law.

This is Corrupt Politician, signing out
CrptPolitician is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 12:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Site Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to hondacuraplanet
I don't think there's ANY vehicle that performs well in temps that cold.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

What grade oil do you have in the engine? you need 0W-20 in that cold.
poolpartysrule is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 06:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
kgb

I am running 5w20 full synthetic oil year around, car never hesitate to start. Only when the temp goes really cold like -28C and lower, then it may take 2-3 seconds before engine fires up. But the electronics are usually acting up, like the steering column does not go back to the position when the key is inserted. But at this temp - I can understand that even car gets cold...
Old 01-25-2013, 06:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Fab

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrptPolitician View Post
Lol you live in/near San Francisco. What you think is cold... is well... not
10 degrees here yesterday...
Well I was refering back to when I'm in Tahoe in the snow season but true I guess that still better than what your used to
Old 01-25-2013, 08:20 PM   #9 (permalink)

Hello folks, thanks for all the responses.

I contacted my dealership and explained to the service department supervisor that my vehicle preset buttons are not functioning at all. The green lights won't come on, much less even beep when I press them. It's as if the system is completely dead. Sometimes the steering column begins to function, only after the vehicle has warmed up but the preset buttons still won't activate indicating the drivers setting or beep when pressed. The service department supervisor advised that I should bring the vehicle in for servicing. I also mentioned to him that I hear a rattling noise coming from the rear of the vehicle when I take a turn and accelerate. He said that the rear differential fluid needs to be changed???? Does that sound right to you guys. I only have a 64000 km on the vehicle and I would suspect the rear diff would need changing at 100,000 km. Am I correct or off the mark?

On a more positive note, the X accelerates and responds extremely well in these conditions. Once it warms up the X just flies and I don't notice any loss of power in this God-for-saken-hellish-winter we're subjected too.

The oil that I use is 5W20 full synthetic.

Fab, I'd take San Francisco cold any day...lollll I was down in SF for work last June. GREAT city.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:30 AM   #10 (permalink)

I live in ottawa as well and the only things I noticed during cold temp is a belt noise at start up only and rattle from sunroof. I have a base 2012 with 4000km on it. I also leave the car in the garage at night.
rikee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 09:37 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikee View Post
I live in ottawa as well and the only things I noticed during cold temp is a belt noise at start up only and rattle from sunroof. I have a base 2012 with 4000km on it. I also leave the car in the garage at night.
Leaving it in the garage would help. Do you notice any issues with the telescopic steering in cold weather?
Old 01-26-2013, 12:42 PM   #12 (permalink)

No issues, took the car all week to go to work, parked outside, and everything works well. I was also surprised to see the engine start on first crank.
rikee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 01:10 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aucjmo22 View Post
Leaving it in the garage would help. Do you notice any issues with the telescopic steering in cold weather?
brrrrrr.....BTW, aujmo22, that's beyond extreme cold for me!Ala-Antartica
Well, here in Socal, it still gets cold but nothing compared to where you are. Just like some of socal owners, my X's pwr mirrors and telescopic steering randomly act up in cold days(maybe when it's 30F or below, ooh its toasty here @ 10F ). I've had the TSB(mirror actuators?) done for this issue but it's acting up again this season. My coldest driving the X was 8F. Two weeks ago -4F (and thought that was very cold!) drove the Outlander with no issues....but then again it does not have a lot of electrical gadgets as the X.

About the noise- Tim posted in fb about ice build up during winter season. Maybe that's causing it? Does the rattling go away when the X warms up?
EX2100 250hp sportboat with wakeboard tower
07 MDX S/E pkg. tow pkg. chrome steps(sold)
gotMDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 06:32 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotMDX View Post
brrrrrr.....BTW, aujmo22, that's beyond extreme cold for me!Ala-Antartica
Well, here in Socal, it still gets cold but nothing compared to where you are. Just like some of socal owners, my X's pwr mirrors and telescopic steering randomly act up in cold days(maybe when it's 30F or below, ooh its toasty here @ 10F ). I've had the TSB(mirror actuators?) done for this issue but it's acting up again this season. My coldest driving the X was 8F. Two weeks ago -4F (and thought that was very cold!) drove the Outlander with no issues....but then again it does not have a lot of electrical gadgets as the X.

About the noise- Tim posted in fb about ice build up during winter season. Maybe that's causing it? Does the rattling go away when the X warms up?
Hello gotMDX, the rattling noise goes away but only after about 15 to 20 minutes of driving. I don't feel comfortable with this rattling noise and it only occurs when i'm making turns. My wife and I both noted it while driving to work. May be I need to change the rear diff fluid. My warranty is coming up this April so'll be taking the vehicle in this Thursday for a complete check. If you read what Rikee wrote he has no issues other than a few minor ones and we both live in the same city. If the issue with the newer X's accuators and telescopic steering has been resolved then I want these issues resolved prior to the warranty ending. I'm also going to mention how rikee has no issues with his accura and that I want this dealt with.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:48 PM   #15 (permalink)

I notice that below -15C (5F) the windshield wiper performance deteriorates markedly both front and back, using OEM replacements. Makes me wonder about the quality of OEM (from the dealer) wiper blades.

Below -30C (-22F) batteries freeze so badly that you do not even get that satisfying click when you turn the key. That is why people install battery warmers in addition to block heaters. I remember sitting in a vinyl upholstered seat at -35C (-31F) and having it split top to bottom like a pane of glass. So an interior electric heater is necessary in some parts.

It was common in places like Nakina Ontario to carry a baking tray, charcoal and kerosene to put a fire under the engine in places where electricity was not available. This was not recommended for use by amateurs but below minus 30 it is not easy to set things on fire.

Having said all that the MDX with an 800 CCA battery is as good as you can get.
MickeyHickey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: