2008 MDX got stuck today in snow/ice - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-24-2012, 12:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 15
2008 MDX got stuck today in snow/ice

hey guys,

pretty new here.

so I've taken the MDX to the from the Bay Area several times and never really had an issue. It did well in a major snow storm this past weekend. Not once did I get stuck or swerved. abs kicked in once but that's because I braked to hard. . I did encounter a small issue today though and was wondering if anyone has encounter the same issue. Probably just me.

Anyhow was going up a slight hill and there was traffic so ended up at a stop. As the car above me started. moving up I lightly pressed the gas pedal and the car wouldn't move. Keep in mind that the entire uphill was stop and go and it was fine at first. at one point, the tires (Dunlap 5000 m+s) appeared to have been stuck on light snow but there was was icee underneath it so there was no traction and got stuck and I couldn't get it out. I tried reversing and trying to get out of the spot but no luck. tires just kept spinning. never really reved up trying to get out but went to lower gear and slight press gas pedal.

eventually gave up and put chains on (had them as backup) and was able to carry on my way.

anyone know what I could have done different or why it happened?
itsjohn07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-24-2012, 01:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 23
VSC - off!


Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
partizan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 05:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 682
First, that tire has only average ratings for snow traction on Tire Rack's web site.

Second, perhaps your tires don't have enough tread depth. What's your current measurement?

Third, does the 2008 have VTM-4 lock (like my 2005)? If so, did you try it?
lion9mdx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 01:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 5
that tire has only average ratings for snow traction on Tire Rack's web site.
__________________
fremaneler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 07:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 853
Dunlop is not a brand I would use. Spinning wheels means no traction.
Was traction control kicking in?


Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
boston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 10:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by boston View Post
Dunlop is not a brand I would use.
The type of tire matters more than the brand. For example, Dunlop makes some pretty good winter tires for SUV's, under the Dunlop Grandtrek name.

However, I think the key is still in lion's third question, above:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lion9mdx View Post
First, that tire has only average ratings for snow traction on Tire Rack's web site.

Second, perhaps your tires don't have enough tread depth. What's your current measurement?

Third, does the 2008 have VTM-4 lock (like my 2005)? If so, did you try it?
__________________
Click here to see what phins2rt says.
nsxtasy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 12:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Tyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Merrimack, New Hampshire & Selinsgrove, PA
Posts: 241
Although every tire brand makes a high quality tire, I still prefer goood ol' continentals or michelins. I have Nokians WGR2's on the mdx, right now. Excellent tire, although it is a soft compound, it still gets through/stops on everything.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 01:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered User
 
wrestrepo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 566
I think you did what you had to do and out the chains. Maybe turning traction control off would have helped (I'm guessing not), but ultimately your issue was traction so using chains was the solution


Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
wrestrepo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 11:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by partizan View Post
VSC - off!


Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
I actually hadn't thought about turning VSA off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lion9mdx View Post
First, that tire has only average ratings for snow traction on Tire Rack's web site.

Second, perhaps your tires don't have enough tread depth. What's your current measurement?

Third, does the 2008 have VTM-4 lock (like my 2005)? If so, did you try it?
I know for sure the tread depth is more than 50% good but the exact current measurement, I'm not sure. I don't think the 2008 Acura Mdx has VTM-4lock though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestrepo View Post
I think you did what you had to do and out the chains. Maybe turning traction control off would have helped (I'm guessing not), but ultimately your issue was traction so using chains was the solution

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Yeah, I carry chains just for an added precautions just in case. Last week's Winter Storm was really bad. It did really well in the past and even through the storm on Saturday night. It was just that one spot where the wheels kept spinning, and there was no traction at all. Had the car kept moving forward, I think it would have been fine. There was traffic so I had to stop the car and inch my way up and that one spot, it just wouldn't budge. Even reversing and then trying to turn and get off the ice didn't help and car started rolling back a bit (not a lot), even with emergency brakes. Eventually the car came to a complete stop and I just put on the chain and just drove away.
itsjohn07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 12:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Denver
Posts: 229
No VTM4 on the 2007+, just turn VSA off like was previously mentioned and it'll stop braking the wheels and let you carry on your merry way.

My VSA would kick in driving up this hill, everytime I would go over the speed bump right before the top, engine revs would drop and I would slow to 10 mph and people would wonder what the heck I was slowing down for before VSA would turn back off and the throttle would work again.
__________________
09 135i 6MT, ZMP
13 X5 35i ZMP, ZMX, 2VA
13 Tiguan SEL 4motion
ND40oz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 12:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
No VTM4 on the 2007+, just turn VSA off like was previously mentioned and it'll stop braking the wheels and let you carry on your merry way.

My VSA would kick in driving up this hill, everytime I would go over the speed bump right before the top, engine revs would drop and I would slow to 10 mph and people would wonder what the heck I was slowing down for before VSA would turn back off and the throttle would work again.
Thanks! I'll keep in mind to turn off VSA and see if that works should I experience a similar situation. A really dumb question but how do you know if your VSA kicks in? Does the indicator light on the dashboard panel turn on?
itsjohn07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 12:38 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Denver
Posts: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjohn07 View Post
Thanks! I'll keep in mind to turn off VSA and see if that works should I experience a similar situation. A really dumb question but how do you know if your VSA kicks in? Does the indicator light on the dashboard panel turn on?
Yeah, IIRC, it's a yellow light that says VSA that comes on on the dashboard panel.
__________________
09 135i 6MT, ZMP
13 X5 35i ZMP, ZMX, 2VA
13 Tiguan SEL 4motion
ND40oz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 01:06 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered User
 
aucjmo22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 250
itsjohn07, turn off the VSA if you experience this issue again. I live in Canada and with the amount of snow we have had, just this year alone, I have had to turn off the VSA mulitple times; AND i have winter tires on. I remember when I purchased my X the Acura sales rep had advised me that if you're stuck in snow or trying to get out of heavy snow or ICE, turn off the VSA as it will allow the tires to work independently.
In my opinion snow wasn't your issue; your VSA kicked in because all four tires were on ICE and the vehicle had no tracktion. You did the right thing by putting on the chains but you probably could have avoided it by turning on the VSA.
__________________
2009 Black MDX base model.
aucjmo22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 01:11 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by aucjmo22 View Post
itsjohn07, turn off the VSA if you experience this issue again. I live in Canada and with the amount of snow we have had, just this year alone, I have had to turn off the VSA mulitple times; AND i have winter tires on. I remember when I purchased my X the Acura sales rep had advised me that if you're stuck in snow or trying to get out of heavy snow or ICE, turn off the VSA as it will allow the tires to work independently.
In my opinion snow wasn't your issue; your VSA kicked in because all four tires were on ICE and the vehicle had no tracktion. You did the right thing by putting on the chains but you probably could have avoided it by turning on the VSA.
Interesting. Thanks for the feedback. I had my friend try getting out of the spot while I was outside and the tires were just spinning. There was just no traction. I was like damn. Tried everything possible to get the car out of the spot to eliminate having to out the chains but eventually it didn't work so I just put on chains (which thankfully, I had the ones recommended by the manual so putting them on was a breeze as it eliminates the need to move your car up or so to ensure the chains are securely wrapped around the tires.)

Will definitely take your suggestion and others and turn off VSA if I'm caught in the same situation again. Thanks!
itsjohn07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 01:17 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Castman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 76
This is good info to know! Thanks for sharing!
Castman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:00 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Copyright 2000-2010 MDXers.org. All Rights Reserved.