I was asked why I'm trading my X ... - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-19-2012, 06:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

I was asked why I'm trading my X ...

... for a Jeep. There are a number of reasons, but a picture is worth a thousand words.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...1268247889.jpg
Bill_de is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 10:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Super funny......like ha ha funny

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
wrestrepo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 11:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

My brother in law had one of these with a vette 327 engine fitted into it and Norseman tires. Thing would go anywhere. I was in high school and pulled up next to my buddy with a hopped up mustang. Thought I was going to be cool and put it in 4 wheel drive. When we gassed it I twisted the driveline off and didn't get too far. Was the most embarrassing thing ever. Hard to find parts.

tolson37 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 01:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

Modern Chrysler owned Jeeps are reliability nightmares. Enjoy the warranty while it lasts.
TheBigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 03:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahuna View Post
Modern Chrysler owned Jeeps are reliability nightmares. Enjoy the warranty while it lasts.
very true words!
Kang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 03:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahuna View Post
My '07 Jeep was never in the shop for anything other than oil changes. I traded it on my '11 MDX which has been back 6 times for warranty work. Go figure.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Didn't the Willys-Overland/Ford Jeep help in the war - not a Fiat/Chrysler?

Hmmm, With a current Jeep I can do some off roading. You do have to buy one before Fiat moves production to China as they ultimately plan to do.

With Honda products, I can mow my lawn, pressure wash my house, then haul my Honda ATVs/dirt bikes via my Ridgeline for an afternoon of trail riding. I can then take my Honda motorcycle over to the lake cabin for a spin in my boat powered by a Honda marine engine. Then head back and jump into my Acura Luxury SUV, wave hi to Asimo, and head to the hangar to Pilot my Hondajet HA-420 Light Business Jet to see the next NSX concept car at the nearest car show. Doesn't sound as trivial as your picture suggests.......
JL_SS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 07:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

The part about sending production to China is false. Somebody misquoted the CEO and some members of the automotive press repeated it.

Jeep will probably build Jeeps in China for the Chinese market as they used to do. They are actually doing a lot of hiring in Detroit. They will start building bodies for Maserati next year, in Detroit. At the same time they will start building a smaller Jeep, in Europe, for the European market.

According to guys who work on the line, Fiat is serious about the Jeep name and Jeep quality. If it disappoints me, in a year or two I'll move on to something else like I'm doing now. If it turns out to be a pos, I'll move on in six months. It's just another vehicle.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

Bill- What were the 6 warranty items? I've had 2 mdx's now w about 30k between them and not one defect forcing me to go in.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

It wasn't 6 different items. It took 4 visits to get the Nav system replaced because Acura wouldn't let the dealer replace it without first exchanging the screen, twice, which was obviously not the problem. Then the vehicle required the low battery update, at which time they found a bad battery. Last, was the tranny update and fluid change.

I'm not complaining, as the dealer did what they could on each visit and insisted on providing a loaner.

I was just pointing out that my Jeep had a better record.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:45 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_de View Post
My '07 Jeep was never in the shop for anything other than oil changes. I traded it on my '11 MDX which has been back 6 times for warranty work. Go figure.
That's impressive as that vintage jeep has one of the worst reliability ratings.

wrestrepo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 12:21 AM   #12 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_de View Post
The part about sending production to China is false. Somebody misquoted the CEO and some members of the automotive press repeated it.

Jeep will probably build Jeeps in China for the Chinese market as they used to do. They are actually doing a lot of hiring in Detroit. They will start building bodies for Maserati next year, in Detroit. At the same time they will start building a smaller Jeep, in Europe, for the European market.

According to guys who work on the line, Fiat is serious about the Jeep name and Jeep quality. If it disappoints me, in a year or two I'll move on to something else like I'm doing now. If it turns out to be a pos, I'll move on in six months. It's just another vehicle.
Probably false right up until they are manufacturing in China. Then it is an easy transition. They have stated that all "new" lines will be produced in China. It really depends on whether the economy recovers.

There is also a problem with single unit ownership comparisons. You got an Acura that had a few minor problems. There were more problems than your Jeep. CR owner reported reliability data supports that you are more likely to have issues purchasing a Jeep than an Acura. Your next vehicle purchase has a better chance at being problem free if you buy an Acura. This is of course, hard to accept since you have experienced the opposite. But the majority have had the opposite experience than you had.

We had to lemon a 2004 Toyota Sienna mini-van due to mulitple serious issues. Looking at the CR owner reported reliability data, we were the exception. Had we purchased another Sienna, there is little chance we would have experienced the same problems. However, we just couldn't give Toyota more of our money when we felt screwed to start with. So we went with a 2005 Pilot which had an equivalent reliability rating. Of course our Pilot had very few issues as indicated by the CR reliability ratings. Had we jumped to a GM Tahoe, the chances are that we would have been disappointed with that also over another Sienna purchase. Good luck with whatever you wind up with! I own a GM truck with average reliability that I am also happy with.
JL_SS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 01:47 AM   #13 (permalink)

I'm not trading the X because it's unreliable, it just is not what I thought it would be.

As far as the China thing, the CEO had responded to the press with exactly what he had said ... It had nothing to do with domestic production. When the China market supports it, they will build them there. Most car companies today build where they sell. Otherwise Acura wouldn't be building here.

btw - I posted the picture just because I thought it was funny.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:09 AM   #14 (permalink)

A co worker of mine from shanghai said my mdx would cost double in china because of the "not built in china" import taxes and duties. Makes sense that auto makers build in the markets they serve.

Old 12-24-2012, 01:51 AM   #15 (permalink)

My Honda lawn mower drives better than a Jeep.
Dominik-X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: