I was asked why I'm trading my X ... - Page 3 - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-08-2013, 12:43 AM   #31 (permalink)

While my better half just bought her second MDX, my 2011 JGC Overland is just as fine and reliable of a vehicle at nearly identical pricing. YMMV.
harry1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2013, 08:32 AM   #32 (permalink)

I'm getting anxious. They pushed the order date off until next week because of a backlog of orders toward the end of the '13 model year. That was in part do to Hurricane Sandy which claimed well over 200,000 car in NY and NJ.

I did read something interesting, I think. The article said that their new U-Connect system will use your existing data plan instead of buying a subscription through them. That should be great news for people who already have smart phones. If true, I just might have to break down and get a cell phone. I hate to give up my two soup cans with the string tied between them, but I guess their time has come to an end.
Bill_de is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 10:55 PM   #33 (permalink)

Hmmmm. Sprint does not allow piggybacking devices off your smartphone without paying extra for it. So, while the uconnect may allow you I use your data plan, your data plan may not allow you to use the Uconnect

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
wrestrepo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 06:20 AM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestrepo View Post
Hmmmm. Sprint does not allow piggybacking devices off your smartphone without paying extra for it. So, while the uconnect may allow you I use your data plan, your data plan may not allow you to use the Uconnect

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Thanks. That's something I'll have to look into.
I was serious when I said I don't even have a cell phone, so this is all new for me.

I did like the OnStar phone in my GM vehicles,
Old 01-09-2013, 09:47 AM   #35 (permalink)

UConnect is not a cell phone service, it is Chryco's entertainment/info/navi/voice/bluetooth system that one connects most any cell phone to via bluetooth for hands free calling. There are texting and wifi hotspot capabilities but they are a bit chunky and/or expensive. It is analogous to Acura's system.

Only fees paid are via your regular cell service. We have used both blackberry and iphone sets on both vehicles using a multitude of cell service providers with relative ease.

Seems like the next frontier in multi systems for vehicles will be tablet type screens and better/cheaper wifi hot spots.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:00 PM   #36 (permalink)

Harry,

Thanks. Any added info is always helpful.
According to Jeep this is a whole new archetecture coming out in the '14 model year, this month. You mention a tablet like screen. I will be getting an 8.4" touch screen for the navi and other functions. I don't know if it will be useable for web surfing or if you need to bring your own tablet along.

I think at some point in time the entire country will be a hotspot. Comcast has started putting them in around here, available to Comcast customers at no extra charge. I somehow doubt that the car system will be able to use them, at least not now.

They are using upgradable components. You can buy a Jeep with no nav. You will still have a touch screen for the radio and hvac. The dealer will be able to flash the system to uprade it to include navigation.

I thought I was hot years ago when I swapped my AM radio for an AM/FM. I really am getting old.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:02 PM   #37 (permalink)

Hey Bill De, I recognize you from the JG site, my handle there is moosehead. My 2011 JGC has the smaller, older screen, and I've rented a C300 with the 8.4" screen. Huge improvement in screen resolution, function, connectivity, entertainment. Would be interested to hear what you think once she arrives.

While I'm obviously pleased with the JGC, we are also two time owner/fans of the MDX. Very similar price value and quality rigs IME, though they are differentiated a bit in size, profile, and personality. As a friendly heads up, Chryco service levels are nowhere near Acura's fine standards, so it is worth the effort to find a great individual service manager if you can.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:52 PM   #38 (permalink)

Harry,

Prior to the X I had a Jeep. I'm using the same dealer. The service department was well run, but aside from 4 years worth of oil changes I never had a reason to visit them.

I never heard anybody yelling, or threatening to shoot the guy, so I figure they're OK.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:19 PM   #39 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Bill,
Get yourself one of these!

02 Honda S2000 -- Berlina Black/Black
99 Acura RL -- Naples Gold Metallic/Parchment
12 Toyota Avalon Limited
phins2rt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 08:45 PM   #40 (permalink)

Finally got to order today. All the bells and whistles I have now, plus V8 Hemi, 8 Speed, full 4 WD w/4 wheel low, and auto height adjustment to just under 12" of clearance.

Couldn't get the picture to post???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: