Pretty sure I saw a 2014 MDX - Page 2 - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-27-2012, 10:45 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepster View Post
Let's hope this time we get serious power delivery...and a better fuel economy too would be great....purchased a 2012 Chevy Silverado crew cab 5.3 V8 for my company and each time i drive back into the mdx....power now feels like a shy Honda Crv after i get to ride the Chevy V8...!!!! Lol

But i sure miss the creature comfort of the mdx in the Chevy 4x4 V8...!

Come on Acura...you want our cash...and we want the best SUV ever....period..!
IMO I never really felt the need for too much more power personally. Still waiting on the J-pipe.

A 370hp version stock would be pretty sweet though.
symmetrical is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 10:34 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by symmetrical View Post
IMO I never really felt the need for too much more power personally. Still waiting on the J-pipe.

A 370hp version stock would be pretty sweet though.
The MDX is a little gutless once you start driving it's competition. My X5 feels like a beast in comparison to my MDX and it gets much better gas mileage. Until Honda starts using forced induction or electric motors to boost lowend torque, they'll continue to rev high to produce power.
ND40oz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 12:30 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
Wow, I just looked at pics of the RDX, that looks like crap, hopefully the MDX doesn't do it that way. I haven't seen a bimmer with those in at least a decade, not sure if MB still has any like that either.
Check late model BMW 7-series and late model Mercedes S-class.
'06 Victory Red/Black/Black Corvette conv.
vetdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 12:33 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
The MDX is a little gutless once you start driving it's competition. My X5 feels like a beast in comparison to my MDX and it gets much better gas mileage. Until Honda starts using forced induction or electric motors to boost lowend torque, they'll continue to rev high to produce power.
When I want power, I just jump into my 505hp Z06 or the wife's 400hp C6 convertible. The MDX's power, creature comforts and hauling capabilities are just right IMHO but the Corvettes yield much more fun and better mpg. Acura should modify the 6th cog to a higher gear ratio thereby providing better fuel economy on the highway.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:15 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetdude View Post
Acura should modify the 6th cog to a higher gear ratio thereby providing better fuel economy on the highway.
Maybe if you drive on flat ground most of the time. The MDX replaced my wifes 2011 Sienna which also had a taller 6th gear. They're nearly identical curb weights although the MDX has about 30hp on the Sienna. The Sienna downshifted on nearly every little hill on the highway and annoyed the crap out of me. The MDX only downshifts on some of the steeper hills which is far less annoying. If the thing has to live in 5th to maintain speed...it's not going to get much better mpg if you live somewhere hilly. We life averaged 21mpg with the Sienna and are getting 19mpg with the MDX. Plus we have AWD to boot...so that's a win in my book. I'll take a little hit in mpg to not downshift on every little blip in the road.

I had an '08 Z06 as well and was amazed at the mpg....close to 30mpg on long trips....and it didn't need a downshift for anything on the highway. I can't top 24 in the SRT8 I'm running now but it's just a tad bit heavier/bigger....
Old 11-28-2012, 01:24 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
When I want power, I just jump into my 505hp Z06 or the wife's 400hp C6 convertible. The MDX's power, creature comforts and hauling capabilities are just right IMHO but the Corvettes yield much more fun and better mpg. Acura should modify the 6th cog to a higher gear ratio thereby providing better fuel economy on the highway.
The point isn't to compare it to a car, it's to compare it to other vehicles in it's class. The 6th cog doesn't help much when your competition has 8 of them. I can cruise in my X5 at 85 at around 2k rpm while getting 22 mpg, if I cruise at 1500 rpm at 65 mph, I get closer to 27 mpg. My 07 MDX got terrible gas mileage in comparison and from what I've seen the 10+ didn't help much in that regard. As for the power comparison, when I step on the gas, I want it to at least get up and go, the current MDX doesn't compete well. Add in the fact that when they switched from the Sport/Ent to the Advance/Ent package, they jacked the price 6k, it's no longer a great buy.

They have a lot of ground to make up with the 3rd gen, hopefully it works out, but I won't be coming back if it has another J series. Engines have come a long way since 1996, it's about time Honda started leading again.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:56 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinny2 View Post
Maybe if you drive on flat ground most of the time. The MDX replaced my wifes 2011 Sienna which also had a taller 6th gear. They're nearly identical curb weights although the MDX has about 30hp on the Sienna. The Sienna downshifted on nearly every little hill on the highway and annoyed the crap out of me. The MDX only downshifts on some of the steeper hills which is far less annoying. If the thing has to live in 5th to maintain speed...it's not going to get much better mpg if you live somewhere hilly. We life averaged 21mpg with the Sienna and are getting 19mpg with the MDX. Plus we have AWD to boot...so that's a win in my book. I'll take a little hit in mpg to not downshift on every little blip in the road.

I had an '08 Z06 as well and was amazed at the mpg....close to 30mpg on long trips....and it didn't need a downshift for anything on the highway. I can't top 24 in the SRT8 I'm running now but it's just a tad bit heavier/bigger....
I'm impressed you're getting 19mpg with your MDX. The best we've been able to average is 16mpg or less overall...and that's driving gently. The SH-AWD really affects mpg.

The Z06 is a beast. Still amazes me that you don't need to step on the gas to pull away in first gear thanks to all that torque and still get 28mpg+ on the highway.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:04 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
The point isn't to compare it to a car, it's to compare it to other vehicles in it's class. The 6th cog doesn't help much when your competition has 8 of them. I can cruise in my X5 at 85 at around 2k rpm while getting 22 mpg, if I cruise at 1500 rpm at 65 mph, I get closer to 27 mpg. My 07 MDX got terrible gas mileage in comparison and from what I've seen the 10+ didn't help much in that regard. As for the power comparison, when I step on the gas, I want it to at least get up and go, the current MDX doesn't compete well. Add in the fact that when they switched from the Sport/Ent to the Advance/Ent package, they jacked the price 6k, it's no longer a great buy.

They have a lot of ground to make up with the 3rd gen, hopefully it works out, but I won't be coming back if it has another J series. Engines have come a long way since 1996, it's about time Honda started leading again.
Our 2010 MDX at 65mph turns 1800 rpm in 6th gear; my Z06 at 65 mph in 6th cruises at 1200 rpm...just above idle. The 300hp in the MDX provides plenty of power for what it is - an SUV.

Speaking of comapring vhicle to vehicle, what's the maintenance costs for that X5? Never mind, I owned a BMW, I am well aware of the manitenance costs for those things.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:13 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Our 2010 MDX at 65mph turns 1800 rpm in 6th gear; my Z06 at 65 mph in 6th cruises at 1200 rpm...just above idle. The 300hp in the MDX provides plenty of power for what it is - an SUV. What's the maintenance costs for that X5? Never mind, I owned a BMW, I am well aware of the maitenance costs.
Right, maintenance costs are free, by the time they aren't, I'll have traded it in for something else.

The 300 hp isn't the issue, it's the area under the curve. Now using that 300 hp and 275 ft-lbs, where they're all at the top of the rev range, fine for a sports car, not so good for a 4800 lb SUV. When you're sitting at close to 3k rpm to maintain 85 mph, it doesn't make for good gas mileage.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:08 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm impressed you're getting 19mpg with your MDX. The best we've been able to average is 16mpg or less overall...and that's driving gently. The SH-AWD really affects mpg.

The Z06 is a beast. Still amazes me that you don't need to step on the gas to pull away in first gear thanks to all that torque and still get 28mpg+ on the highway.
I can see that city driving with the MDX would be bad on mpg, luckily we do very little of that. I've hit almost 23mpg on long highway trips in the 70-75mph range. Did 450 miles on one tank even. Hoping maybe it improves as it breaks in a bit more...only crossing 6k miles now. My last Honda didn't wake up completely until after 10k.

This one loves to be in the highest possible gear all the time so it does feel sluggish unless you really hammer on it or mess with the S mode. I don't think performance is bad though for a 3-rower all things considered. The X5 does feel more entertaining but it has a lot of other compromises and driving 25k miles a year is a very expensive proposition for the euro brands. I think you get what you pay for with the MDX...hell this thing was cheaper than our last minivan which was FWD. Missing a few features but nothing we really care about.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:18 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinny2 View Post
I can see that city driving with the MDX would be bad on mpg, luckily we do very little of that. I've hit almost 23mpg on long highway trips in the 70-75mph range. Did 450 miles on one tank even. Hoping maybe it improves as it breaks in a bit more...only crossing 6k miles now. My last Honda didn't wake up completely until after 10k.

Our MDX has 32k miles on it and the best mileage we've ever gotten was 21mpg on a tank of mostly highway driving with the a/c on and averaging 65mph. We actually got better mileage with our '02 MDX with 60 less hp, one less gear and its part-time 4-wheel drive, one of the best vehicles I've ever owned. Traded it on the '10 with 134k miles on the clock.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:23 PM   #27 (permalink)

Glad to see they went with an led light around the license plate. Looks much better
2012AWP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 02:39 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepster View Post
Let's hope this time we get serious power delivery...and a better fuel economy too would be great....purchased a 2012 Chevy Silverado crew cab 5.3 V8 for my company and each time i drive back into the mdx....power now feels like a shy Honda Crv after i get to ride the Chevy V8...!!!! Lol

But i sure miss the creature comfort of the mdx in the Chevy 4x4 V8...!

Come on Acura...you want our cash...and we want the best SUV ever....period..!
You do realize that you are comparing a 3.7L V6, tuned to perform at high revs, with a real truck like 5.3L V8 that can tow a house......
wrestrepo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 06:07 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:

I don't think its that impossible. I was able to get 25mpg driving to LA averaging 80mph. I was expecting 21.

My normal day to day average is around 19 with city and mixed highway driving.

That's of course based on the MID and I am not sure how 100% accurate it is.

Speaking of Z06's, a co-worker of mine has a modified 2004 C5 Z06 and let me take it for a spin. Good lord those cars are BEASTS. Although my 350Z is probably just as quick, there is something to be said about natural all motor V8s. Now I understand the high praise for those types of engines.
symmetrical is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: