Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Do you use winter tires?

16K views 59 replies 35 participants last post by  nsxtasy 
#1 ·
After owning a few torsen based AWD cars (Audi Quattro and VW 4-motion) I've concluded that with cars, 4 snow tires makes a bigger improvement in the winter than AWD. My MDX is my first SUVish vehicle. Do you switch to winter tires (if in a snow-prone area) or does the weight of the vehicle with all seasons do the trick?

#29 ·
Nokians

My second winter with the MDX here in No Colo, I invested in a full set of Nokian Hakkapalitta's. That was 2008. They weren't cheap, but I have never regretted it. I put them on every November and remove promptly in March before we travel to AZ for spring break. I've never had a traction problem since, even with some rather large snowfalls. And yes: the control and traction with these dedicated winter tires is noticibly better than AS (three season) tires. As for wear, I've still got 9/32" left on all four after 4 winters. :29:

#30 ·
I always use snows up here in Ontario. I echo the comments here - they really make a difference.

The Automobile Protection Association of Canada does yearly reviews of all-season and snow tires:

Automobile Protection Association | Tire Info

The Blizzak and Toyo brands always seem to rank high. I ran Toyo Observe G02+s on a Honda Odyssey and liked them -- they wore really well for a softer compound.

I bought Blizzak DMV1s for this winter based on reviews on APA and here -- haven't put them on yet.

I followed the APA recommendations closely over the years at it seems now more and more snow tires are ranked very good and better... Maybe the industry is catching up to the market leaders.

#31 ·
I thought radials would do the trick and people who purchased winter tires were throwing their money away - was I wrong. I purchased winter tires 7 years ago and I swear by them. I've used Toyo Open Country and they do the trick. I live in Canada and with the amount of snow, freezing temperatures, my wife's crazy driving habits, I can say I have piece of mind. Winter tires dig into the snow, you have better traction and you never have to worry about stopping at a red light in deep snow. You give gas, you move!

#32 ·
totally depends on where you live... some can get by with 3 season tires 365,
where conditions only ask 70% in tire performance.

live in the north with snow and ice, and you'll be asking for 100% of the tires to perform

regardless if you have 1 wheel spin or AWD, tires tires tires are the most important component on a vehicle.

Winter/Ice tires are like R compounds.. they make a HUGE difference when asked to perform at their limits

if you can avoid an accident by just having better tires, the choice is obvious

our MDX is a family and friends mobile.. I want a piece of mind when they're being driven
in poor conditions

(the MDX is a replacement for our 07 Subaru Legacy Spec-B)

if you are involved with motorsports.. you'll always appreciate the function and performance of the right tire for the right conditions

tirerack and other places offer winter packages 18inch stock sizing or 17 inchers which are
cheaper and perform better

generally speaking...any winter tire regardless of brand or price point will out perform a good all season tire

if you can't afford new.. you can always get a deal on used rims and tires on craigslist, kijiji etc.

just don't be that guy stuck in the ditch or in an accident saying to yourself.. i should have bought tires

#33 ·
I've used Blizzaks in the past - great snow/ice performance. Switched to Michellin X-Ice on our gone but not forgotten '02 MDX - excellent tires. Traded the '02 for a new MDX/Tech in the spring of 2010 and have run the OEM Michelin Latitude All Seasons through two winters here in the NE with no problems (the full-time all-wheel drive helps). We'll see what happens in a few months with over 32k miles on the original Michelins.

#38 ·
In winter conditions, the difference between all-season tires and winter tires is HUGE. What many people don't realize is that they're not just for snow and ice; winter tires grip much better in frigid temperatures, even when the roads are dry, thanks to their ability to remain soft and pliable at those temperatures. All-season tires are designed as a compromise - okay in warmer temperatures (not as grippy as summer tires, but okay), and okay in cold temperatures (not as grippy as winter tires, but okay). Winter tires do better at the specific conditions for which they were designed.

Note that there are three types of winter tires. Using the Tire Rack terminology: "studless ice and snow" winter tires, "performance" winter tires, and "studdable" winter tires. The "studless ice and snow" winter tires give the best grip on ice and snow, but their handling when temperatures aren't so cold can be only so-so and less responsive. The "performance" winter tires offer better handing on warmer days than the studless variety, but aren't quite as grippy on ice and snow. "Studdable" winter tires really aren't a good choice, because tests have shown that in most winter conditions, today's modern "studless" winter tires give better traction than the studdable tires with studs installed. (Ref 1) (Ref 2) The use of studded tires is also illegal in many of the states and provinces with some of the worst winter weather.

Whether you need winter tires, and which type you choose, may depend on the conditions you face. If you live in an area with mild winters, or if you have another vehicle you would use when winter strikes, all-seasons might be sufficient for your needs and you might not need winter tires at all. If you do a lot of long-distance interstate driving, the performance winter tire might be a good choice. If your winter driving is mostly on local streets that aren't always kept clear, the studless ice and snow tires might be best. If you have no alternative but to drive even in the worst winter weather - maybe you're an emergency responder, or maybe you just HAVE to drive to work - and you absolutely must get where you're going no matter what, then the studless ice and snow tires are probably a good choice. And if you live in a cold climate with a fair amount of snow and/or ice as well as frigid temperatures, again, the studless might be best.

If you want to use winter tires, it's worth it to get an extra set of wheels, so you only have to get the tires mounted and balanced on the wheels one time. If you don't already have an extra set of wheels, you can find a used set of stock wheels for as little as $200, on eBay or at car-parts.com as well as in the Classifieds forum here.

I've considered winter tires money well spent. As I see it, all they have to do is prevent an accident once, and they've paid for themselves (depending on the amount of your insurance deductible). And because I only use them for 2-3 months a year, they don't get many miles on them each year; I just buy them once, and that one set then lasts many years.

Last year I needed to buy a set of winter tires for my MDX. Because I live in an area with extreme cold temperatures (temps of -10F or colder are not uncommon) as well as plenty of snow, I wanted the studless ice and snow tires. On the advice of the knowledgeable folks at Tire Rack, I got the Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1. I love 'em.

Of course, there's also the "jinx effect". ;) If you buy a set of winter tires, you will then have very mild winters. If you don't buy them and try to get by on all-seasons, you will then have very harsh winters. In which case, it's easier to get around on winter tires when you don't need them, than on all-seasons when you really need winter tires. :)

#40 ·
Dedicated winter tires only have to save a life once, to be worth the investment

The trouble is, you (nor I) would never know when they may have saved that life.
Yes, the OEM Michelin Cross Terrain tires were good in the snow the first winter, but after a year and a half, I was concerned about tread wear and traction, so I had Michelin's Latitude Alpine tires installed on used OEM MDX wheels (style for the same price as black steel rims).
The tires have demonstrated their ability in both deep snow and slush.
For me, it's only a 1/2 hour job to switch wheels, spring and fall, and I
consider it "cheap" re-assurance.
My regular drives between London and Brampton have been without incident.
I understand, that accelerating isn't the problem, maintaining control and braking is.
Hope you all-seasoners can keep it on the road.

2005 MDX Black with Tan (purchased new).

#41 ·
Hope you all-seasoners can keep it on the road.
I've managed for 45 years, driving without winter tires, to keep my cars and SUVs on the road in summer and winter. Just because something new comes out, it doesn't mean that nothing that came befoe it won't still do the job.

It's like saying that since power screw drivers are here, I hope you people with manual powered screwdrivers can still drive a screw. I do know a couple of people who will wait for a battery to charge before using a manual tool. New innovations too often go from being a help to being a crutch.

It is nice that we all have choices.

#44 ·
What rim did you end up getting? I was about to trade in our 07 MDX, but I may end up keeping it for another year. If I do keep it I want to get winter tires as our original tires, about 38K, are starting to wear thin.

Living in NYC we don't get lots of snow, but we do get hit with deep snow every so often. I've relied on the SH-AWD and the stock all seaons tires with good tread depth to keep me going, and stopping. I've only had to drive in deep snow, over 6" deep, on one occasion. The MDX did ok. On an unplowed road with a slight incline I had to get a running start and feather the throttle to keep the car moving. That is the only time I wished I had winter tires.

#48 ·
I do not, only because I have my "beater" RX300 which actually has Michelin tires on them to do my snow running. The OEM Duelers on the MDX are crap in my opinion. I had them as replacement tires on my RX at some point and they were the worse, so I went back to Michelins. Once the Duelers wear out on the MDX, I will do the same.

If I only had the MDX for snow duty, then I would get good rated all season tires rather than snow specific tires as good tires on AWD should do the trick for probably 80% of the population. If you're driving in 2' of snow all the time, then maybe not so much.

#51 ·
I have coupons to get this one for $59.99
That one doesn't have enough lift height for an MDX. You need 17" of lift to get the tire off the ground on a 2001-2006 MDX, and the 2007+ is probably similar. That one only has a maximum lift height of 14 3/4".

or this one for $69.99
That one can do the job, but it's going to be close, with just a little bit of clearance (maximum lift height of 18 1/8").

PM me your address if you want one. They come in the news paper and magazines all the time around here.
Thanks for the kind offer - very nice of you! (I already have the red one from Home Depot, though, so I don't need another.)

#53 ·
I mean 17" of throw without putting a block of wood on the saddle. I get nervous using a block of wood that's really thick, which you would need to do on a jack with only 14 3/4" lift. Especially since the lift height is already high, it's not like a low profile car and jack which tends to be sturdy just because the lift is low.

#55 ·
Could it be used? Yes, absolutely. But a scissors jack, especially one that is designed as much for compact storage as for utility, is not as easy to use as a conventional floor jack. And the MDX's high clearance and high weight means that there is a lot more effort and a lot more pumping/turning than a sedan, let alone a low lightweight sports car.

Under the general rule of "try the cheapest thing first", the nice thing about the stock jack is that any MDX owner already has it, so he/she can try it out and see how easy it is to use.* If a better jack is desired, you can then go out and buy one.

*Even for those who don't have winter tires, it's a good idea to do a test run with the jack, so you know where the jack is stored and how to use it. That way, if you ever get a flat somewhere out on the road, you won't have to figure it all out for the first time. (If you've never removed/remounted a wheel before, have a knowledeable friend show you what to do.) This is a good idea on any car, except for those with run-flats and no spare.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.