P0847 Error Code - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

P0847 Error Code

My 2007 X, that I just got home over the weekend ( just bought) has a P0847 code, showing in diagnostic message folder. WE are still learning about all the bells and whistles (Tech/Ent packages).

Is this something serious? I know it has to do with a transmission sensor. The dealer is 55 miles away and a terrible commute to boot.

How concerned should I be? Should I take it back, or is it something like adding more tranny fluid...it does not leak. It has 25K miles. I don't notice any problems with it shifting.

Is there anyplace where I can get the meanings for all the codes?

Thanks,
Mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

I'd take it in as soon as you can. The trans fluid pressure sensor is having issues.

OBD Code search. http://www.aboutautomobile.com/DTC
OBD Code lists. http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon
2004 MDX Touring - Midnight Blue Pearl
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 01:04 PM

Splasher - I just had the same code come up in my 07 MDX. Did you take it to the dealer? what was the outcome/damages? Thanks!

midnightMDX - is this something that can be repaired/replaced by a non-acura dealer mechanic? I dread taking my vehicle to the dealer and getting charged an arm and a leg for something that is a "simple" fix. Thanks.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 03:07 PM
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1lv3rsc00by View Post
midnightMDX - is this something that can be repaired/replaced by a non-acura dealer mechanic? I dread taking my vehicle to the dealer and getting charged an arm and a leg for something that is a "simple" fix. Thanks.
Are you out of warranty?

08 X Sport/Ent -- Sterling Gray/Ebony
03 X Touring/RES -- Taffeta White/Saddle

02 Honda S2000 -- Berlina Black/Black
99 Acura RL -- Naples Gold Metallic/Parchment
12 Toyota Avalon Limited
12 Toyota Highlander V6
16 Lexus GS350
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator

I dont have a service manual for a 07+, but my guess is that any good mechanic should be able to do it. Maybe someone with a service manual can chime in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon
2004 MDX Touring - Midnight Blue Pearl
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 04:58 PM

I have just about 62k miles, so I'm still well within the 70k powertrain warranty. I called Acura today to check, and they said that this should fall under the the powertrain. So it seems like it should work out, and I really need to get this taken care of ASAP since I use the MDX for work. I am actually at the dealership now. I'll let you know what happens.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phins2rt View Post
Are you out of warranty?
Yes, this was covered under the 6yr/70k mile powertrain warranty. A sensor for one of the transmission gears was bad. From what they described, it was a simple fix. Since it was under warranty, my receipt had no prices. Here's what the invoice said:

"Retrieved code P0847. Third gear trans pressure switch failure. Tech replaced third gear pressure switch to correct condition. Failed part #AC28610.... AC90471"
pigeonfood11 likes this.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 12:50 PM

3rd clutch pressure switch has been a pretty common failure on the 2007+ model.

Acura Master Technician

I will NOT answer requests for radio/navigation unlock codes, so please don't ask.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTech View Post
3rd clutch pressure switch has been a pretty common failure on the 2007+ model.
Are there any other common part failures with the '07 MDX that could lead to drivetrain failure? Or is there a thread somewhere already on here with a list about common failures? I have about 8k miles left on my warranty, it would be good to knock it all out before I have to pay out of pocket. Thanks.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 11:42 PM

Just got this error message today. Wife was complaining about engine noise that would come every now and then. Would that be a symptom of this issue? Just bought this car as a "certified vehicle" less than 3 weeks ago. Freaking dealership! Current 55K miles but I do have extended warrant to 100K so I'm glad it's happening now at least.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 04:43 PM

khamkhao - sorry so late reply. I hardly check this email. Anyways, there wasn't any "noise" associated with this error code. The MDX seemed to run fine. Like I mentioned in my previous post, it was just a simple fix of replacing a sensor/switch. Hope you got this fixed.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 10:34 PM

I just got the p0847 error code today. I didnt notice that anything drove that bad, but it did feel a little sluggish and I could hear an occasional metal sound like a heat shield was loose underneath. Its at the dealer now.

If they fix the switch, and whatever is making the heat shield noise, is there any other damage caused by this condition?

07 MDX Sport/Entertainment - Formal Black

Previous Acuras:
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 09:48 AM

I just had this issue, same as the other posters. 08 MDX Tech has 63k. No prior trans issues (coils, but that is OT for this thread). There was "indecision" at about 40 mph with the truck being driven gently. One hill nearby would show this indecision well, with odd shifting up hill and "grabbing" gears downhill. This is mama's car, so she'd often tell me "it doesn't feel right". We've had manual trans cars for the last 10 years, so I had no comparisons.

While driving at 30 mph very gently, the Satnav goes off and tosses P0847. I get to the dealer next day, who diagnoses it as "replace 3rd gear pressure switch". After $170.00 non powertrain warranty dollars, I'm on my way. Apparently a switch attached to the powertrain is not part of the powertrain. (Acura's idea of warranty is much different than BMW's idea of warranty-also OT for this thread).

The trans now shifts cleanly. I think it may also have been reset or reprogrammed, as it now holds high gear longer than before...this is not a problem, just an observation. The shift points and feel are different now other than just the 3rd gear thing.

I hope this isn't an ongoing thing. I dread my dealership and have a good independent who knows Honda, but some things you still need the stealership for.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 10:42 PM

Powertrain?? Or not???

Curious - one dealership did the repair under warranty and the other didn't. Which is right? I just paid for the repair tonight, and it doesn't seem right to me. Anyone here able to confirm if the switch is a powertrain item?
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackster View Post
Curious - one dealership did the repair under warranty and the other didn't. Which is right? I just paid for the repair tonight, and it doesn't seem right to me. Anyone here able to confirm if the switch is a powertrain item?
If you are under the 50k, it is warranty, if under 70k, then it is NOT, but it is under the 70k "powertrain warranty". I just had a torque converter replaced under warranty at 68k, after a discussion where the dealer tried to charge me $2400 for the TC....I reminded him that the TC is an "internally lubricated part", unlike the switch they charged me for....even though the switch is attached to a transmission....not internally lubricated. Dealer claimed he saw I was out of warranty, (true) and didn't have the extended warranty (true and a mistake on my part...but I THOUGHT this was a Honda), so he intended to charge me. That I had to remind them of the powertrain warranty may have been an error on the service writer's part, or not.............

On the plus side, with a new TC and the DW-1 trans fluid, it is smooth again and shifts nicely.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: