Would you buy an Acura MDX again - Page 9 - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Would You buy a new MDX again
Yes, Definately 31 40.26%
Maybe, undecided 20 25.97%
Not Sure yet 10 12.99%
No, no more. 16 20.78%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-04-2012, 10:32 AM   #121 (permalink)
Registered User
 
symmetrical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Livermore, CA
Posts: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahuna View Post
I'm not familiar with the 1st-2nd gen titles/years of the Acuras. I assumed there was a difference between the 01-03s and the 04-06s.

Anyhow, I much prefer the looks of the 07 and newer MDXs over the 06 and previous. I also prefer the looks of both styles of Pilot over the 1st gen MDX. I own an 06, but do not really care much for the exterior styling. It's comfortable though. I find the seats to be very comfortable. My only picking would be the lack of headroom in the front seats, and the sharp window sill. I like to prop my arm on the drivers window sill, and these hurt! The seat itself, is very comfortable for me.
Oh I see. Well the way I thought it was is like this:

01'-06' 1st Gen
'07-'13 2nd Gen
'14 will be the new 3rd Gen
__________________
2008 Billet Silver MDX w/ 2010 front conversion
2008 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport (Wife's)
2003 Nissan 350Z TT (Retired Garage Queen)
symmetrical is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-04-2012, 06:36 PM   #122 (permalink)
Registered User
 
sgtglok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Got-MDX? View Post
I agree, it's hard to please everyone. But more options would definitely help them in this aspect. Especially in the colors. They have the same boring five or six colors on every model all the time. Not to mention you can't even get all interior colors with all exterior colors.
Did not wanted to waste more paperless text quoting the entire post. You could just summarize the entire experience with I do not like MDX and I like German cars. No need to saturate this thread with empty statements. Especially the ones that are simply not true.

I really don't get it. So many choices, life is so short. If the vehicle does not suit your needs and you got the means since you like German cars, then why MDX? BMW, MB, Audi, Porsche -- are all there waiting and will be more than happy to take your cash.
__________________
2012 Acura MDX Advance
2010 Lexus RX 350
2005 Acura MDX Touring
2001 Acura MDX
sgtglok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 07:23 PM   #123 (permalink)
Registered User
 
symmetrical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Livermore, CA
Posts: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtglok View Post
Did not wanted to waste more paperless text quoting the entire post. You could just summarize the entire experience with I do not like MDX and I like German cars. No need to saturate this thread with empty statements. Especially the ones that are simply not true.

I really don't get it. So many choices, life is so short. If the vehicle does not suit your needs and you got the means since you like German cars, then why MDX? BMW, MB, Audi, Porsche -- are all there waiting and will be more than happy to take your cash.
Thanks for this post, I couldn't find the right words to respond to that guy.

It's strange that most people typically hate cars because they are unreliable, but for someone to hate a car with very trivial things is grasping at straws.
__________________
2008 Billet Silver MDX w/ 2010 front conversion
2008 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport (Wife's)
2003 Nissan 350Z TT (Retired Garage Queen)
symmetrical is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 03:13 PM   #124 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: TX
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by symmetrical View Post
If you really hate it that much, then by all means trade it in for a German car.

Some of us "boring" "non-enthusiasts" enjoy having a reliable car.
There are things that are okay but things that aren't great IMO. I don't typically trade vehicles in either...


Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtglok View Post
Did not wanted to waste more paperless text quoting the entire post. You could just summarize the entire experience with I do not like MDX and I like German cars. No need to saturate this thread with empty statements. Especially the ones that are simply not true.

I really don't get it. So many choices, life is so short. If the vehicle does not suit your needs and you got the means since you like German cars, then why MDX? BMW, MB, Audi, Porsche -- are all there waiting and will be more than happy to take your cash.
It's not that I completely dislike the vehicle just a lot of poorly designed things IMO. Afterall this thread is called "WOULD YOU BUY ANOTHER MDX?" is it not? Discussing the good/bad...

Empty statements that aren't true, really? Feel free to point them out since you obviously disagree. Figured someone looking to purchase may be interested in the info depending what vehicle history they have.
Got-MDX? is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 05:25 PM   #125 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,116
I agree that there are things that could have been done more to my liking. But at least some of the things you don't like were things any enthusiast would have recognized with a quick look at the car. Thin sheet metal, no USB, limited colors, etc.

So, now that we know what you don't like about the MDX, what were the things you like that prompted you to buy the vehicle?

I might have missed it. What year and model do you have?
Bill_de is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 06:22 PM   #126 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Denver
Posts: 229
I bought an 07 because of SH-AWD and magneto rheological dampers, what I didn't like was having to buy the Entertainment package just to get a powered rear hatch. They fixed that later on, same with the dimming rearview mirror.

The reason I didn't buy another, the refresh offered nothing. It was basically just cosmetic that IMO made it look worse while raising the price. The new tech was mostly worthless (the 6AT was needed), but how about some power folding mirrors, keyless entry and start, a new engine instead of just changing the torque curve while actually losing peak torque. Hopefully they'll redeem themselves with the 3rd gen.
__________________
09 135i 6MT, ZMP
13 X5 35i ZMP, ZMX, 2VA
13 Tiguan SEL 4motion
ND40oz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 06:34 PM   #127 (permalink)
Registered User
 
symmetrical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Livermore, CA
Posts: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Got-MDX? View Post

So it's only in another package, which is my next complaint with Japanese cars. Why can't I pick and choose my options?

Most Honda/Acura seats will kill you in just a few hours.

Brake lights during the day are not an issue. Most LED tail lights are MUCH brighter and not an issue especially when applied vs just on.

They have the same boring five or six colors on every model all the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Got-MDX? View Post

The seats are HORRIBLE! They have little to no support and don't have enough adjustments to make them confortable or supportive for long rides?

The computer/information display is junk. Make the screen actually show and display what you want without having to cycle through multiple buttons. At least keep the setting that was left on last time the car was on. Why can't I see the clock, temp, miles, and mpg all on the same screen?

The headlights are amazing but the interior/dash lights suck. What is the point of having dash brightness adjustment if they aren't linked for what you set? For instance if you set the dash lights low and the headlight sensor senses otherwise, your center dash will be bright as can be but the gauges will be low. Why? Or if the headlights or on but the sensor thinks otherwise, the display won’t dim? Why?

The dash design sucks. The shiny wood trim, depending on the time of day reflects the sun right into your eyes.

This complaint is with MANY manufactures not, just Honda/Acura. ANYTIME the daytime running lights are on FORCE THE TAIL LIGHTS ON! I don't know how many cars I see with people driving that have headlights and NO taillights. If the headlights are on, make the taillights stay on. It should be the same thing with the wipers. If wipers are running, it's raining...force the tail lights on. Most people are clueless this is even an issue because they think there lights are on when they are not.

Get someone with kids on the design team. The child seat anchors are in a bad location. It couldn't be more obvious it was an afterthought. Also, why doesn't the second row seat have forward/back movement? Make it adjustable and redesign the third row access fold.

Why is there no USB port or multiple cigarette charger ports in front?

Acura brakes are HORRIBLE! If you do any form of spirited driving the breaks overheat and vibrate/act warped like no other. I've owned a TL-S, TSX, MDX, etc. they ALL have done it.

I've accepted that most brands aren't enthusiasts and are building for boring people. Apparently people just want cheap crap as long as it's quiet and NEVER has to be taken to the shop..
There are the examples of your empty statements that are exaggerating, making generalizations of things that only affect you, and then downright offend other types of owners with your last comment.

I'm a car enthusiast first and foremost. Far from being a boring person and a person who doesn't want just "cheap crap." My list of cars include a 2002 RSX Type-S with a K20A Type-R engine and transmission, 400whp MR2 Turbo, 380whp Water/meth injected Evo IX MR, VF34 300whp WRX, my most recent Nissan 350Z Twin Turbo making the same power as a GT-R (390whp on a mustang dyno.) I have been to numerous track days. Thunderhill, Laguna seca Raceway, Willows springs streets of willows, and Sonoma raceway. I am not a stranger to enthusiastic and spirited driving. Reliability was a non-issue as I was constantly fixing them up anyway. But for my normal every-day SUV, reliability is one of the top 3 factors.

So long story just because someone bought a specific type vehicle or brand, does NOT make them "boring non-enthusiasts" or wanting "cheap crap." That's all I have to say and I am done with this subject.
__________________
2008 Billet Silver MDX w/ 2010 front conversion
2008 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport (Wife's)
2003 Nissan 350Z TT (Retired Garage Queen)
symmetrical is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 09:19 PM   #128 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 30
I'm waiting on a refresh and it better be good. If Acura continues to lead in technology, sharp designs and maintains power and efficiency in the motor, then they have a good shot at my next SUV. If not, I've already made the switch to German from my '04 Acura 6mt TL to an Audi S4.

I just picked this monster S4 and the design and interior fit and finish is outstanding. It has tons of power, crisp shifts and eye catching design. What sucks is the electronics and user interface to the technology. The Nav is all f'd up, slow and kludgy, no touch screen and dumb stuff like rotating zoom in and out opposite of the Acura setup. Door locks are up for lock, down for unlock. There's not a volume indicator anywhere and good luck with the verbal commands.

So for those who think the details don't matter, it's a trade off. The seats in my S4 (and in a Q7 I've rented) are outstanding. The Audi AWD handling is incredible and the S4 engine is one of the best in that class. The butt ugly TL didn't stand a chance when wondering if I should stick with Acura (although I do give then major credit for offering a 6MT AWD!) Really it's more about the damn Audi MMI and everyday buttons you push in the Audi that make it seem like the Germans are dyslexic.

Technology, design and power all have to come together. Is it in the next MDX or in the Q7.... or maybe I should test drive the new Infinity JX?

As for reliability if you go German, get certified preowned to 100k and be don't worry about it. Stuff breaks in all brands. For the Acura I probably wouldn't spend the extra cash on extended warranties though.
GeoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 02:27 PM   #129 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: TX
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_de View Post
I agree that there are things that could have been done more to my liking. But at least some of the things you don't like were things any enthusiast would have recognized with a quick look at the car. Thin sheet metal, no USB, limited colors, etc.

So, now that we know what you don't like about the MDX, what were the things you like that prompted you to buy the vehicle?

I might have missed it. What year and model do you have?
It was bought for my wife to haul the kids and I do like the vehicle just little stuff that annoyed me on the long trip. I never said it wasn't a great vehicle just some stuff that I notice more and more brands doing that aren't for me.

We wanted a SUV with a third row, ability to tow 4k lbs, decent options and great crash ratings, etc. I was ready to get rid of my daily beater (TSX) and timing worked out for the next kiddo to arrive.

We bought the 2012 base because I didn't feel the Tech/Advanced was for me. I wanted a few of the options but dislike Honda/Acura NAV systems not to mention we already have aftermarket so the Tech offered no real incentive for the price. I would have liked the blind spot and vented front seats but didn't want any of the other stuff in the Advanced. I may have changed my mind if there was a power increase or other upgrades with the adaptive suspension but they don't offer that unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by symmetrical View Post
There are the examples of your empty statements that are exaggerating, making generalizations of things that only affect you, and then downright offend other types of owners with your last comment.

I'm a car enthusiast first and foremost. Far from being a boring person and a person who doesn't want just "cheap crap." My list of cars include a 2002 RSX Type-S with a K20A Type-R engine and transmission, 400whp MR2 Turbo, 380whp Water/meth injected Evo IX MR, VF34 300whp WRX, my most recent Nissan 350Z Twin Turbo making the same power as a GT-R (390whp on a mustang dyno.) I have been to numerous track days. Thunderhill, Laguna seca Raceway, Willows springs streets of willows, and Sonoma raceway. I am not a stranger to enthusiastic and spirited driving. Reliability was a non-issue as I was constantly fixing them up anyway. But for my normal every-day SUV, reliability is one of the top 3 factors.

So long story just because someone bought a specific type vehicle or brand, does NOT make them "boring non-enthusiasts" or wanting "cheap crap." That's all I have to say and I am done with this subject.
It's an online forum, please....it was a general statement about brands.

Did you really think I was talking directly to you?


Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoJoe View Post
I'm waiting on a refresh and it better be good. If Acura continues to lead in technology, sharp designs and maintains power and efficiency in the motor, then they have a good shot at my next SUV. If not, I've already made the switch to German from my '04 Acura 6mt TL to an Audi S4.

I just picked this monster S4 and the design and interior fit and finish is outstanding. It has tons of power, crisp shifts and eye catching design. What sucks is the electronics and user interface to the technology. The Nav is all f'd up, slow and kludgy, no touch screen and dumb stuff like rotating zoom in and out opposite of the Acura setup. Door locks are up for lock, down for unlock. There's not a volume indicator anywhere and good luck with the verbal commands.

So for those who think the details don't matter, it's a trade off. The seats in my S4 (and in a Q7 I've rented) are outstanding. The Audi AWD handling is incredible and the S4 engine is one of the best in that class. The butt ugly TL didn't stand a chance when wondering if I should stick with Acura (although I do give then major credit for offering a 6MT AWD!) Really it's more about the damn Audi MMI and everyday buttons you push in the Audi that make it seem like the Germans are dyslexic.

Technology, design and power all have to come together. Is it in the next MDX or in the Q7.... or maybe I should test drive the new Infinity JX?

As for reliability if you go German, get certified preowned to 100k and be don't worry about it. Stuff breaks in all brands. For the Acura I probably wouldn't spend the extra cash on extended warranties though.
+1

Got-MDX? is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 04:43 PM   #130 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,116
It is amazing what built in Nav systems go for, and then what they charge for updates. The Nav has worked well for me. But after buying the X I got a 10" android tablet. It has built in nav that works about as well. It uses Google maps and updates for free.
Bill_de is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 08:41 PM   #131 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_de View Post
It is amazing what built in Nav systems go for, and then what they charge for updates. The Nav has worked well for me. But after buying the X I got a 10" android tablet. It has built in nav that works about as well. It uses Google maps and updates for free.
The Audi MMI now uses Google Maps in the stock Nav. The entire car is also a wifi hotspot but it uses a separate subscription via T Mobile. So that's 4 subscriptions altogether. XM, traffic, Google Maps, and wifi are all options. Why not just your one single phone connection for all of it? Again, backwards design in technology in my mind. Acura needs to step up once again and lead this evolution.
GeoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 08:59 PM   #132 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoJoe View Post
The Audi MMI now uses Google Maps in the stock Nav. The entire car is also a wifi hotspot but it uses a separate subscription via T Mobile. So that's 4 subscriptions altogether. XM, traffic, Google Maps, and wifi are all options. Why not just your one single phone connection for all of it? Again, backwards design in technology in my mind. Acura needs to step up once again and lead this evolution.
The Jeep I'll be getting is the same way. I don't really need my car to be a wifi hotspot all the time. But you can buy a day, a week, or a month at a time. The maps, I think, will be Garmin.
Bill_de is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 10:57 PM   #133 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Got-MDX? View Post
We wanted a SUV with a third row, ability to tow 4k lbs, decent options and great crash ratings, etc. ...
We bought the 2012 base because I didn't feel the Tech/Advanced was for me. I wanted a few of the options but dislike Honda/Acura NAV systems not to mention we already have aftermarket so the Tech offered no real incentive for the price. I would have liked the blind spot and vented front seats but didn't want any of the other stuff in the Advanced. I may have changed my mind if there was a power increase or other upgrades with the adaptive suspension but they don't offer that unfortunately.
Awesome! That's EXACTLY my way of thinking. Wow.



Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
partizan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 12:06 AM   #134 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 9
Have an 08 TL, 08 MDX, and low mileage mint 03 S2000, when they are gone no more Honda's in this household.
Red89gt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 12:55 PM   #135 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Casique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: VA
Posts: 432
I definitelly agree the brakes are crap in Acuras since I have warped the rotors in my last two MDX (2003 & 2009) several times and they are NOT covered by the warranty since they are considered wear items. Highway freaking robbery!
__________________
2014 MDX AWD Tech
2006 Volvo C70 T5
2011 Street Glide
Previous MDX
2001
2003
2009
Casique is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:42 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Copyright 2000-2010 MDXers.org. All Rights Reserved.