Would you buy an Acura MDX again - Page 8 - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Would You buy a new MDX again
Yes, Definately 31 40.26%
Maybe, undecided 20 25.97%
Not Sure yet 10 12.99%
No, no more. 16 20.78%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-29-2012, 02:05 PM   #106 (permalink)

I think I would, but I'd want the newer (07 and newer). I've only had my 06 for a couple of months, and I like the interior. But I find the exterior of the 1st and 2nd gen MDXs to be horribly boring. I really like the looks of the 3rd gen and the Honda pilot so much better.

But I don't buy cars very often. I own a 2000 Toyota Tundra with 175,000 miles on it. I also own a 2000 Toyota Avalon with 180,000 miles on it. I plan on keeping the MDX as long as it lasts. I don't see myself ever buying another domestic car. I HATE the cheap crappy interiors they put on American made cars. And I spend 99.999% of my time INSIDE my vehicles...not standing beside it. I also hate unreliable vehicles. My Toyotas have always been trouble free for the most part. I'm hoping for the same out of the MDX.
TheBigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 04:59 PM   #107 (permalink)

Not Sure is prob the most astute answer.
New Model from a new Fab line in US means I'll wait for a three year history.
Anyone who commits Yes should review the 1st gen trans problems and the Vigor.
That way my current will be less than 6 years old and prob wont need till after that.
Presently 2 years old and only 13 K miles.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:07 PM   #108 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahuna View Post
I think I would, but I'd want the newer (07 and newer). I've only had my 06 for a couple of months, and I like the interior. But I find the exterior of the 1st and 2nd gen MDXs to be horribly boring. I really like the looks of the 3rd gen and the Honda pilot so much better.

But I don't buy cars very often. I own a 2000 Toyota Tundra with 175,000 miles on it. I also own a 2000 Toyota Avalon with 180,000 miles on it. I plan on keeping the MDX as long as it lasts. I don't see myself ever buying another domestic car. I HATE the cheap crappy interiors they put on American made cars. And I spend 99.999% of my time INSIDE my vehicles...not standing beside it. I also hate unreliable vehicles. My Toyotas have always been trouble free for the most part. I'm hoping for the same out of the MDX.
The 3rd gen MDX isn't even out yet...?

But I will have to disagree, I think the Honda Pilot is the most boring looking. Looks like they took a rectangle slab, slapped on some headlights and called it a day.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:36 AM   #109 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by symmetrical View Post

But I will have to disagree, I think the Honda Pilot is the most boring looking. Looks like they took a rectangle slab, slapped on some headlights and called it a day.
You forgot to mention the chrome fetish that someone in charge of the pilot has. Awful

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
boston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 06:59 AM   #110 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL_PIC View Post
Not Sure is prob the most astute answer.
New Model from a new Fab line in US means I'll wait for a three year history.
Anyone who commits Yes should review the 1st gen trans problems and the Vigor.
That way my current will be less than 6 years old and prob wont need till after that.
Presently 2 years old and only 13 K miles.
Waiting is probably not as important as it used to be. These are mostly assembly plants. The transmissions, engines and other major driveline parts will most likely come off the same lines that are producing them today.

I remember reading when I got my '11 that the tranny was made in Japan, the motor was US built, the design work was done in the US (Ohio). When I got the cargo cover the box said "Made in Mexico". I haven't seen anything that indicates any of that will change.

The problem with Acura is that they don't always correct the problems that come up during assembly. How many years have they gone without fixing the uneven gaps at the ends of the dash?
Bill_de is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 09:49 AM   #111 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston View Post
You forgot to mention the chrome fetish that someone in charge of the pilot has. Awful
Same thing happened with the refreshed 2nd gen MDX, I won't buy a vehicle with chrome trim, looks horrible imo.
ND40oz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 11:08 AM   #112 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_de View Post
The problem with Acura is that they don't always correct the problems that come up during assembly. How many years have they gone without fixing the uneven gaps at the ends of the dash?
That is an important and visible part of Acura's problem.
They have also rested on Laurels too much.
But they also have all new fab line with all new robotics / programming on 2014 MDX
and significant changes to engine and trans.
Any auto manufacturer with new design on a new line is a double shot
and the best way to judge shooting accuracy is to view the target after the fact.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:50 AM   #113 (permalink)

I prefer 2007-2008 Honda Pilot compared to newer PILOT..it looks like an old Ford Explorer...
acroanmdx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 08:03 AM   #114 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adr5 View Post
After 5 years and 38k, I've had no major problems with my MDX. There are a few things I don't really like, but for the most part it is a good vehicle, if you need an SUV. Maybe you were unlucky?
I'm not unlucky at all. Don't get me wrong, I've never had a mechanical issue with the vehicle and it's never been in the shop. It's just got a lot of bad design aspects and personally I don't like a lot of small things about it.

Most noticeable on our road trip:

The seats are HORRIBLE! They have little to no support and don't have enough adjustments to make them confortable or supportive for long rides. Maybe if you are 250-300lbs they work but for a normal size person they do not. The head restraint is nearly useless and needs more adjustment. I'm early 30's and my back hurt for a week after this trip. Why can’t the seat heaters work in BOTH butt/back areas?

The engine has okay power but nothing spectacular. The biggest problem is the transmission. It's constantly hunting for a gear with any elevation changes. When it does downshift it works overtime to catch up. It gets much better gas mileage at 75mph then 60-65mph. My big issue is there is a 4-7mph variance in the cruise control. It will not maintain the speed you select through the Tennessee/Kentucky hills and is annoying.

The computer/information display is junk. Make the screen actually show and display what you want without having to cycle through multiple buttons. At least keep the setting that was left on last time the car was on. Why can't I see the clock, temp, miles, and mpg all on the same screen?

The headlights are amazing but the interior/dash lights suck. What is the point of having dash brightness adjustment if they aren't linked for what you set? For instance if you set the dash lights low and the headlight sensor senses otherwise, your center dash will be bright as can be but the gauges will be low. Why? Or if the headlights or on but the sensor thinks otherwise, the display won’t dim? Why?

The dash design sucks. The shiny wood trim, depending on the time of day reflects the sun right into your eyes. What idiot thought it would be a good idea to have shinny dash trim. I don't really care about the dash and doors not lining up (even though it is ridiculous) but how about the radio. The radio screen is already sun damaged from the angle of the dash and material. Put on some polarized glasses and it's 10X worse. This is a vehicle that spends 98% of its life in a garage; it's not sitting out all day either.

This complaint is with MANY manufactures not, just Honda/Acura. ANYTIME the daytime running lights are on FORCE THE TAIL LIGHTS ON! I don't know how many cars I see with people driving that have headlights and NO taillights. If the headlights are on, make the taillights stay on. It should be the same thing with the wipers. If wipers are running, it's raining...force the tail lights on. Most people are clueless this is even an issue because they think there lights are on when they are not.

Get someone with kids on the design team. The child seat anchors are in a bad location. It couldn't be more obvious it was an afterthought. Also, why doesn't the second row seat have forward/back movement? Make it adjustable and redesign the third row access fold.

Why is there no USB port or multiple cigarette charger ports in front?

Acura brakes are HORRIBLE! If you do any form of spirited driving the breaks overheat and vibrate/act warped like no other. I've owned a TL-S, TSX, MDX, etc. they ALL have done it.

I could go on for days talking about other stuff also but what's the point. I've accepted that most brands aren't enthusiasts and are building for boring people. People that don't care if the doors, hood, etc. feel like a tin can when you close them, paint is to soft and thin, etc..etc.. Apparently people just want cheap crap as long as it's quiet and NEVER has to be taken to the shop..
Got-MDX? is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 08:30 AM   #115 (permalink)

Couple of things. I have an '11 tech so it might be different than yours.

There is a USB connector in the console.
The mid does come on with whatever setting you left it on.
The time is displayed in the radio whether or not the radio is on, so you can always see the time.

The seats are not necessarily terrible. I am nowhere near 250 and find them comfortable. I had a '93 Explorer that I traded after a year because I just couldn't' get comfortable. In '76 I asked a Chevy parts man why they had so many types of seats available in the Monte Carlo. He replied with a straight face, "Because there are a lot of different asses out there"

Having tail lights on during the day is not the greatest idea. On a bright day it would make brake lights less distinctive.

I'm not saying the MDX is not without many flaws. Mine should be gone by Feb/Mar. I do realize that it's hard for any manufacturer to please all the people. Thank God for choices.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:57 PM   #116 (permalink)

Quote:
Couple of things. I have an '11 tech so it might be different than yours.

There is a USB connector in the console.
The mid does come on with whatever setting you left it on.
The time is displayed in the radio whether or not the radio is on, so you can always see the time.

The seats are not necessarily terrible. I am nowhere near 250 and find them comfortable. I had a '93 Explorer that I traded after a year because I just couldn't' get comfortable. In '76 I asked a Chevy parts man why they had so many types of seats available in the Monte Carlo. He replied with a straight face, "Because there are a lot of different asses out there"

Having tail lights on during the day is not the greatest idea. On a bright day it would make brake lights less distinctive.

I'm not saying the MDX is not without many flaws. Mine should be gone by Feb/Mar. I do realize that it's hard for any manufacturer to please all the people. Thank God for choices.
Ours only has the AUX port and why? They should all have it. My 2009 TSX had one, why doesn't the 2012+ SUV have it?

So it's only in another package, which is my next complaint with Japanese cars. Why can't I pick and choose my options? I should be able to order it EXACTLY how I want but no, they force you into a bunch of stuff you don't always want.

The info screen only displays the last choice not the info. You constantly have to hit a button for it to display. The point is, you shouldn't have to constantly be fiddling with buttons while you are driving to display the info. Most German cars have the time and/or date, temperature, miles, miles to empty and/or mpg and trip computer ALL displayed at once. Not to mention it gives you a lot more useful info when requested through the computer.

The seats are TERRIBLE...spend some time in a Recaro seat or any German sport seat and you'll think otherwise! I never once had any pains driving for 6-12+ hours in one of those seats. Most Honda/Acura seats will kill you in just a few hours.

Brake lights during the day are not an issue. Most LED tail lights are MUCH brighter and not an issue especially when applied vs just on.

I agree, it's hard to please everyone. But more options would definitely help them in this aspect. Especially in the colors. They have the same boring five or six colors on every model all the time. Not to mention you can't even get all interior colors with all exterior colors.
Got-MDX? is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 01:08 PM   #117 (permalink)

I'm going to a Jeep GC Overland. My options will be V8 and Off Road Package. Those to choices in that model will add most of what I want. I want power folding mirrors, but would have to go to the next model with adaptive cruise and a couple of other things I don't want. And for the 13's I can't get the next level up with the color interior I want.

I don't like it, but it's not just Acura.

I used to love it before they started bundling. You got a list of options and checked off the ones you wanted. And that's when everything was done by hand. You'd think with computers controlling things it would be easier.

PROGRESS

"Most Honda/Acura seats will kill you in just a few hours.'

Maybe they will kill you.

I spent 12 hours and found them very comfortable. That's one thing you can't generalize on. It's like saying chocolate ice cream is no good, just because you don't like it.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:29 PM   #118 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm going to a Jeep GC Overland. My options will be V8 and Off Road Package. Those to choices in that model will add most of what I want. I want power folding mirrors, but would have to go to the next model with adaptive cruise and a couple of other things I don't want. And for the 13's I can't get the next level up with the color interior I want.

I don't like it, but it's not just Acura.

I used to love it before they started bundling. You got a list of options and checked off the ones you wanted. And that's when everything was done by hand. You'd think with computers controlling things it would be easier.

PROGRESS

"Most Honda/Acura seats will kill you in just a few hours.'

Maybe they will kill you.

I spent 12 hours and found them very comfortable. That's one thing you can't generalize on. It's like saying chocolate ice cream is no good, just because you don't like it.
I looked at these too. Not a bad package. Let us know how u like it. I read there will be some upgrades to the jeep gc in 2014. As for the seats in the x I find them more comfy than any other ride I've had over the years.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
tolson37 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 11:48 PM   #119 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got-MDX? View Post
I'm not unlucky at all. Don't get me wrong, I've never had a mechanical issue with the vehicle and it's never been in the shop. It's just got a lot of bad design aspects and personally I don't like a lot of small things about it.

Most noticeable on our road trip:

The seats are HORRIBLE! They have little to no support and don't have enough adjustments to make them confortable or supportive for long rides. Maybe if you are 250-300lbs they work but for a normal size person they do not. The head restraint is nearly useless and needs more adjustment. I'm early 30's and my back hurt for a week after this trip. Why canít the seat heaters work in BOTH butt/back areas?

The engine has okay power but nothing spectacular. The biggest problem is the transmission. It's constantly hunting for a gear with any elevation changes. When it does downshift it works overtime to catch up. It gets much better gas mileage at 75mph then 60-65mph. My big issue is there is a 4-7mph variance in the cruise control. It will not maintain the speed you select through the Tennessee/Kentucky hills and is annoying.

The computer/information display is junk. Make the screen actually show and display what you want without having to cycle through multiple buttons. At least keep the setting that was left on last time the car was on. Why can't I see the clock, temp, miles, and mpg all on the same screen?

The headlights are amazing but the interior/dash lights suck. What is the point of having dash brightness adjustment if they aren't linked for what you set? For instance if you set the dash lights low and the headlight sensor senses otherwise, your center dash will be bright as can be but the gauges will be low. Why? Or if the headlights or on but the sensor thinks otherwise, the display wonít dim? Why?

The dash design sucks. The shiny wood trim, depending on the time of day reflects the sun right into your eyes. What idiot thought it would be a good idea to have shinny dash trim. I don't really care about the dash and doors not lining up (even though it is ridiculous) but how about the radio. The radio screen is already sun damaged from the angle of the dash and material. Put on some polarized glasses and it's 10X worse. This is a vehicle that spends 98% of its life in a garage; it's not sitting out all day either.

This complaint is with MANY manufactures not, just Honda/Acura. ANYTIME the daytime running lights are on FORCE THE TAIL LIGHTS ON! I don't know how many cars I see with people driving that have headlights and NO taillights. If the headlights are on, make the taillights stay on. It should be the same thing with the wipers. If wipers are running, it's raining...force the tail lights on. Most people are clueless this is even an issue because they think there lights are on when they are not.

Get someone with kids on the design team. The child seat anchors are in a bad location. It couldn't be more obvious it was an afterthought. Also, why doesn't the second row seat have forward/back movement? Make it adjustable and redesign the third row access fold.

Why is there no USB port or multiple cigarette charger ports in front?

Acura brakes are HORRIBLE! If you do any form of spirited driving the breaks overheat and vibrate/act warped like no other. I've owned a TL-S, TSX, MDX, etc. they ALL have done it.

I could go on for days talking about other stuff also but what's the point. I've accepted that most brands aren't enthusiasts and are building for boring people. People that don't care if the doors, hood, etc. feel like a tin can when you close them, paint is to soft and thin, etc..etc.. Apparently people just want cheap crap as long as it's quiet and NEVER has to be taken to the shop..
If you really hate it that much, then by all means trade it in for a German car.

Some of us "boring" "non-enthusiasts" enjoy having a reliable car.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:26 AM   #120 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by symmetrical View Post

I'm not familiar with the 1st-2nd gen titles/years of the Acuras. I assumed there was a difference between the 01-03s and the 04-06s.

Anyhow, I much prefer the looks of the 07 and newer MDXs over the 06 and previous. I also prefer the looks of both styles of Pilot over the 1st gen MDX. I own an 06, but do not really care much for the exterior styling. It's comfortable though. I find the seats to be very comfortable. My only picking would be the lack of headroom in the front seats, and the sharp window sill. I like to prop my arm on the drivers window sill, and these hurt! The seat itself, is very comfortable for me.
TheBigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: