Would you buy an Acura MDX again - Page 6 - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Would You buy a new MDX again
Yes, Definately 31 40.26%
Maybe, undecided 20 25.97%
Not Sure yet 10 12.99%
No, no more. 16 20.78%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 07-05-2010, 04:14 AM   #76 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Chopper Challenge Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew04MDX View Post
While I love my MDX, i'd really love to go back to a car. My dream car for years now has been a Subaru impreza sti, so that will probably be what I trade the X for when I get out of college. Also with their awd i'm quite sure it would do well in our Indiana winters. I believe Midnight has a wrx wagon.. I'd be interested to hear his input on the switch.

-Drew
I have a 02 wrx wagon. There is no comparison with a MDX and a STI. Two completely different worlds. Subarus are excellent in bad weather, but you still have to know how to drive in those conditions. For any vehicle, tires will help alot. The stock tires on my subaru made the ABS too sensitive. I upgraded and it resolved that issue and made the traction better. I did the same on my MDX. I did lose a small amount of ride quality, but the grip is much improved. Felt great in snow. So as far as snow goes, tires can go a long way.
midnightMDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2010, 02:49 PM   #77 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightMDX View Post
I have a 02 wrx wagon. There is no comparison with a MDX and a STI. Two completely different worlds. Subarus are excellent in bad weather, but you still have to know how to drive in those conditions. For any vehicle, tires will help alot. The stock tires on my subaru made the ABS too sensitive. I upgraded and it resolved that issue and made the traction better. I did the same on my MDX. I did lose a small amount of ride quality, but the grip is much improved. Felt great in snow. So as far as snow goes, tires can go a long way.
Completely agree with you on the subject of tires. I replaced the tires on my X after my mom gave it to me a little over a year ago and have had amazing results in the winter with it.. but I digress. What I was really interested in was your opinion on wether this would be a smart trade within the next or 4 years? Have you found your Subaru to be very reliable, is it in the shop often, does it require constant maintainence? etc.
Drew04MDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2010, 01:23 AM   #78 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Chopper Challenge Champion

My Subaru has never been in a shop, except for tires. Any maintenance has been done by me. Had no real issues so far. The trade is up to you and your needs. In 4 years you might want something else.
midnightMDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2010, 05:12 PM   #79 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightMDX View Post
My Subaru has never been in a shop, except for tires. Any maintenance has been done by me. Had no real issues so far. The trade is up to you and your needs. In 4 years you might want something else.
That's great to hear. Although I doubt i'll want anything different in 4 years, you still raised a good point. Thanks for answering my questions!

-Drew
Drew04MDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 08:31 AM   #80 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by npatel123 View Post
Maybe, undecided on the timing on the 2nd gen. but will probably consider one in the future. Acura is a completely different car. If you can buy the Acura, I don't really know why you would think about other cars.
--
Sport Utility Vehicles

My 2007 MDX is 5 years old now and we are about to get rid of it. Getting another never crossed my mind. It sucks a lot of gas. For it's size it's not that big inside. The third row seats are only adequate for children or small adults. We are going to go the minivan route. It's the same size, weighs less, and gets better gas mileage. We will lose is some power, but torque is pretty close so combined with less weight it will not be as noticeable. I will lose 4WD, but 99.9% of the time it is just dead weight on the car. Handling wise the minivan is lighter and lower so it will ALMOST be the same. I say almost because I have the sport model that lets you change the shock settings to get a softer or firmer ride. It's too bad that station wagons are no longer in style. Dropping the MDX lower to the ground and losing 500 or so lbs would make it a great vehicle.

07 MDX sport
07 Specialized Tarmac
09 Brompton M3L-X
09 Ritchey Breakaway/SRAM Force
adr5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 05:43 PM   #81 (permalink)

Probably not as their quality has gone down and that includes all manufactures like Toyota, Nissan, BMW ect..
I would however give Kia a shot as they are a new arrival. I did some searching around and heard that they Kia focus more on their quality than other car manufacturers as they want you to buy their car. It's like a new store trying to win customers to get in the door to purchase their stuff. Here's a YouTube video that this guy can explain better than I am, he is a mechanic and he use to work for Honda.

fyaajster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 07:29 PM   #82 (permalink)

if it will give better mileage...
t-mdx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 01:14 AM   #83 (permalink)

I would. Have had my 2012 for about 9 months now. It's a very nice package combining very different characteristics from several different car/SUV categories. Gas mileage could be better. I think the 2014 model will address mpgs.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
tolson37 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 09:40 PM   #84 (permalink)

MPG is relative. Coming from an 08 Toyota sequoia with a 5.7 I got 13mpg all day long so getting 18 seems great. And YES, love my mdx and would buy another.
Disneydave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 06:29 AM   #85 (permalink)

People typically buy cars that fit their needs usually at a specific time frame.

I picked the MDX originally for the 7 seats and overall features.

I could have bought a 2012 Honda Pilot with all the bells and whistles for the same price as my second hand '08 MDX, but I didn't want to be bored to death.

Although to answer the question, depending on how life goes I may end up needing full sized SUV and probably won't get another MDX.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:04 PM   #86 (permalink)

I picked up my first gen MDX back in 2001. I picked it over RX350, X5, and ML320 because it was best balanced against my search criteria: price, utility, performance. 4 years later, I picked second MDX after comparing it against the same competitors: RX350, X5, and ML350. Again, the same criteria: price, utility, performance. Neither of the 2 ownership experiences was perfect, but nowhere near what my friends described while owning BMW/MB, so I though I'd give Lexus a GO next.

Maybe if I picked up Japanese-built RX, I would be happier, but the one from Canada turned up to be nothing special, with its own issues. Glorified Lexus Service turned out to be just as good as Acura's (in my experience with 3 separate dealerships in Tri-State area), but almost TWICE EXPENSIVE.

I needed 7-seater SUV again, and after comparing GX, Q7, and GL (JX35 was not considered due to its boring looks and underpowered tran w/CVT) --> back to MDX #3.

To me, after 12 years, MDX still provides the most bang for your buck in mid-luxury SUV category. Due to discounts, we picked up top model and so far very happy with ADVANCE.

In 3-4 years, will be looking at MDX first, given the history... But dual tail pipes delete (or even tacked under the bumper) will significantly reduce my interest in it's favor... Just saying Acura!
2001 Acura MDX
sgtglok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 06:27 PM   #87 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtglok View Post
I picked up my first gen MDX back in 2001. I picked it over RX350, X5, and ML320 because it was best balanced against my search criteria: price, utility, performance. 4 years later, I picked second MDX after comparing it against the same competitors: RX350, X5, and ML350. Again, the same criteria: price, utility, performance. Neither of the 2 ownership experiences was perfect, but nowhere near what my friends described while owning BMW/MB, so I though I'd give Lexus a GO next.

Maybe if I picked up Japanese-built RX, I would be happier, but the one from Canada turned up to be nothing special, with its own issues. Glorified Lexus Service turned out to be just as good as Acura's (in my experience with 3 separate dealerships in Tri-State area), but almost TWICE EXPENSIVE.

I needed 7-seater SUV again, and after comparing GX, Q7, and GL (JX35 was not considered due to its boring looks and underpowered tran w/CVT) --> back to MDX #3.

To me, after 12 years, MDX still provides the most bang for your buck in mid-luxury SUV category. Due to discounts, we picked up top model and so far very happy with ADVANCE.

In 3-4 years, will be looking at MDX first, given the history... But dual tail pipes delete (or even tacked under the bumper) will significantly reduce my interest in it's favor... Just saying Acura!
Very well said!

I think Value is the biggest proposition to the MDX in terms of performance, features, and safety.

Although I would say if money isn't an object, I would probably get an X5 M.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:36 PM   #88 (permalink)

I have loved my '03 for the last 9 years (130k miles)....until recently when it cost me $5000 for a new transmission. Also, now it idles real rough when cold and often dies completely. It sets codes P0175 (system too rich), P0301-6 (cylinder misfire 1-6), and P0300 (random multiple misfire) but is fine when it warms up. I put in new plugs and wires at 120k miles. No one seems to know what's wrong. It's very annoying that it dies several times every morning!

I looked at the new MDX's but I don't care much for the styling and that there is less cargo space. Also, why hasn't mpg improved in 10 years? True, there is more power....but my '03 has plenty of power at 260 hp, I would like to have seen better mpg. I haven't completely ruled out the MDX but will definitely consider others. I like the looks of the new Explorer and MKX and what they have to offer...though I haven't looked at anything seriously yet. I do love the ride and handling and seat comfort of my '03 MDX...even after 130k miles.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:36 PM   #89 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdavies View Post
I have loved my '03 for the last 9 years (130k miles)....until recently when it cost me $5000 for a new transmission. Also, now it idles real rough when cold and often dies completely. It sets codes P0175 (system too rich), P0301-6 (cylinder misfire 1-6), and P0300 (random multiple misfire) but is fine when it warms up. I put in new plugs and wires at 120k miles. No one seems to know what's wrong. It's very annoying that it dies several times every morning!

I looked at the new MDX's but I don't care much for the styling and that there is less cargo space. Also, why hasn't mpg improved in 10 years? True, there is more power....but my '03 has plenty of power at 260 hp, I would like to have seen better mpg. I haven't completely ruled out the MDX but will definitely consider others. I like the looks of the new Explorer and MKX and what they have to offer...though I haven't looked at anything seriously yet. I do love the ride and handling and seat comfort of my '03 MDX...even after 130k miles.
The biggest improvement IMO for the 2nd get is SH-AWD and handling. It drives like a sedan (TL'ish). Although most consumers will probably not be able to tell a difference, but when you push the MDX around a corner the feeling of SH-AWD is hard to explain but its like your on rails. It's mesmerizing that a 4600lb+ SUV feels like that.

But if handling isn't important to you, then it's not really a selling point.

I think for your taste you might be more fit for something like an Audi Q7 if you want cargo space and luxury.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:27 AM   #90 (permalink)

I wanted a new MDX, but the redesign and MPG of the '13 RDX looked really good. I do not need the cargo space and 3rd row of the MDX anymore, we picked up a '13 RDX with wood trim detail. No to the MDX, but yes to another Acura.

Bond
---------------
'98 3.2 TL Silver Blue on tan
'03 MDX black on black
'13 RDX Pearl White on Parchment
bondeagle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: