Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Replacing Low Beam HID Bulbs

60K views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  Ehispoto 
#1 ·
I've asked this question twice in the last year but no one seemed to have the answer so far ~ so let me try again:

Does anyone know how to replace the low beam HID bulbs on an 07 MDX? I'm sure it has to be easier than taking off the whole front end of the vehicle!:confused:

#2 ·
My07MDX said:
I've asked this question twice in the last year but no one seemed to have the answer so far ~ so let me try again:

Does anyone know how to replace the low beam HID bulbs on an 07 MDX? I'm sure it has to be easier than taking off the whole front end of the vehicle!:confused:
Have yours burned out or are you changing to something else?

#3 ·
I'm trying to replace the bulbs to 6k.

#4 ·
Since you are that desperate, Ok then here we go. There are two ways of doing it one way is first to uncap the plastic cover from the back of the housing then you can feel the ballast. now the ballast is connected to the bulb so if you can take the ballast out then you can get to the bulb. So to take the ballast out there is a pin that holds it into place and it is in V shape and you have to press both ends of the pin to release it from the holder and it will release the ballast. Now careful on pulling it out co'z there is a wire that is connected to the ballast and on to the housing I don't know what it is maybe a ground wire or something. And that's it, may sound easy but it's not unless you have a very long arm and a child's hand specially on the driver side because there is just no room to do it. And the other way is taking out the whole light assembly and by doing this you have to bring your bumper down, which is not worth the trouble unless your doing a major work on your light.

#5 ·
My07MDX said:
I'm trying to replace the bulbs to 6k.
Please note that after going through all the trouble of replacing the stock 4300K bulb with a 6000K bulb you will actually end up with less output. The beam will be 'bluer', but the intensity (candlepower) will be lower by quite a bit.

Shifting to a higher temperature (K) merely shifts the color of the output towards the blue end of the color scale. The bulb manufacturer does this by tinting the bulb blue, which will reduce substantially the brightness of the output.

I guess it's a choice between rice or bright.

#6 ·
flicker said:
Since you are that desperate, Ok then here we go. There are two ways of doing it one way is first to uncap the plastic cover from the back of the housing then you can feel the ballast. now the ballast is connected to the bulb so if you can take the ballast out then you can get to the bulb. So to take the ballast out there is a pin that holds it into place and it is in V shape and you have to press both ends of the pin to release it from the holder and it will release the ballast. Now careful on pulling it out co'z there is a wire that is connected to the ballast and on to the housing I don't know what it is maybe a ground wire or something. And that's it, may sound easy but it's not unless you have a very long arm and a child's hand specially on the driver side because there is just no room to do it. And the other way is taking out the whole light assembly and by doing this you have to bring your bumper down, which is not worth the trouble unless your doing a major work on your light.
Thanks, flicker, I've already tried your first method and my hand just couldn't fit into the tiny space ~ Hard to imagine it's that difficult to change out a bulb!:mad:

#7 ·
My07MDX said:
Hard to imagine it's that difficult to change out a bulb!:mad:
The bulbs will last a looooong time. Our old TL still had the original bulbs after 7.5 years and my wife drove with the headlights on always. I'm sure that was a design consideration but it still sucks that it is this difficult. It seems a lot of things in the engine bay are tight.

#9 ·
Did passenger side tonight, had to do quite the twist to get my hand in there but used a mirror to have a look at bulb orientation and then once old bulb was removed used it to practice the install until I had it down...then switched to the new bulb so that it was a first time go.

#13 ·
Not DISSING anything, but the 01-03 model is all done in 30 minutes,(High/Low,+fog's) simply uncoupling some connections and arranging others. Damn engineers.

#16 ·
I just changed both of my low beam bulbs with Philips replacements off of Amazon for $51 each (which were the exact same bulbs that were in there, presumably from the factory). I was also able to do it without taking the air box/battery or anything else in less than 30 minutes, it just takes some careful steady hand-work. I'd suggest using some thin, tight-fitting nitrile gloves to reduce the risk of getting oil on the bulb.

#19 ·
Replacing HID headligh Bulb 2008 Acura MDX

I recently had to replace the low beam headlight bulb and the best thing to do is remove the bumber. First remove the top panel guard, being careful not to break the plastic push rivets. Then remove a screw from the wheel well panel attached to wheel well liner on each side Then remove the plastic rivets underneath the bumper. Then pull the bumper, there are some panel catches on the lower part of the headlights. After both sides are free from under the lights the whole bumper should pull back. Be careful not to pull back too far as the fog light wiring is still attached. After the bumper is free and the headlight assembly is exposed remove the screws holding the headlight assembly in place. A plastic push rivet and a screw was on the top on the assembly. On the lower inside part of the assembly there is a bracket that has 2 bolts, remove the bolts. There is a bolt on the outer part of the headlight assembly close to the fender. The headlight assembly should be free to pull back after the left and right brackets bolts are removed. Remove the cap from the rear of the assembly expose the ballast, remove the torx screws from the ballast. Remove the ballast and the back of the bulb will be exposed. Unclip the bulb and remove the bulb. I hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.