Need Detailed 'How To' to Clean Blower Motor/Fan - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 03-18-2008, 04:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Need Detailed 'How To' to Clean Blower Motor/Fan

Hi:

I've got an 01 MDX w/83k miles on it! I need HELP!!!

This is the second time I've had to shell out $80 to have the Blower Motor Fan cleaned out by the dealer. OUCH!!! So...

Does anyone have detailed pictures, step by step instructions about how to both remove and clean this and the 'Air Intake at the windshield Cowling' out???

If so, would you kindly post/share them.

Thanks!

Ken
kenkneeb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2008, 05:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Attached is the service bulletin for cleaning the blower motor. I had to do this on saturday after a leaf got sucked into the blower and made a horrible buzzing sound.

Total time to remove, clean and replace 30 minutes. and thats taking your time.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf blower motor cleaning with cowl.pdf (157.9 KB, 7162 views)
jreidg3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2009, 03:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

My blower motor started squeaking terribly recently. Not the kind of squeak from leaves in there (although there were a couple small ones), but rather the squeak of an axle/spindle that needs lubricating. I was hoping that I could remove the blower fan, disassemble it and lube it. No such luck. As best I can tell, it is a sealed unit, more or less. There is a clip that appears to hold the plastic fan part to the main axle, but I could not figure out a way to remove the fan from the axle. I did take some lube and shoot it into the assembly using one of those little straws that comes on a WD40 can (I used silicone, then motorcycle chain wax as lube, not wd40). This seems to have temporarily stopped the squeaking, but I'm pretty sure it will come back before long.

I read the above-referenced TSB after doing this work last night. You do need to remove the plastic that covers the fuse panel in the passenger wheel well, but you do not need to peel back carpet nor pull up the door sill nor the door opening trim. Just carefully remove the kick panel (I wasn't careful and it didn't break - I got pissed off and yanked it off w/out breaking it). I happened to have a torx screwdriver which made removing two of the screws pretty easy. I needed an 8mm (I think) socket for the third - the one most outboard/near the outside of the car because I couldn't get the screwdriver angled in there. It would have helped if I'd had my full tool kit with very short socket ratchet handle, but alas it was up at our ski house. I managed to get it off though.

The part number for the blower fan assembly is 79310-S84-A01. I searched online and the cheapest Honda-made unit I could find was around $140. I found a knock-off brand called TYC from some place called Logical-Source for about $58 shipped. Here's a link to their current web page with the motor: https://www.logical-source.com/2001-ACURA-MDX-3704.html With any luck, the replacement will last as long as the original (I'm currently at 191K miles). For now, my spray lube job has resolved it and now I will be able to get the old blower motor out of there more quickly the next time. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to swap in the new one in about 15 minutes once it arrives next week. In the meantime my ride to work was blissfully un-squeaky. Even better, our ride to Tahoe will hopefully be reasonably quiet this weekend. Driving home last Monday was painful (or cold).

MidnightMDX's Awesome FAQ for the '01-'06 MDX
Sinecure is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2009, 12:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by jreidg3
Attached is the service bulletin for cleaning the blower motor. I had to do this on saturday after a leaf got sucked into the blower and made a horrible buzzing sound.

Awesome! Thanks for this. I just got my 2001 MDX used and was baffled by the noise the AC makes. Mine is just really loud (no squeaking or whatnot, just LOUD). I'll have to see if this fixes it.
kraze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2009, 08:13 AM   #5 (permalink)

I have the same "squeaking" issue described above but mine appears to be coming from the rear a/c not the front. It only gets bothersome during braking. I have turned off the rear a/c and it has stopped all together. Is there also a rear blower motor? (I believe there is but couldnt find it using the search function). If so does anyone have a tsb or manual scan showing how to disassemble?

Thanks,

Mark
Old 05-19-2009, 02:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yes, there is a rear blower motor. It is located in the center console, beneath the gearshift. You pull off the kick panels (the ones that are half plastic / half carpeted) to get to it. Do a search on "grrr" and you'll find a good, long post on problems with the rear a/c. In this post there are photos and step-by-step instructions on how to repair the transistor. But it also has pictures of the rear blower motor and the often dirty screen that covers it.

You can also link to it from the FAQ that Midnight has published and I link to in my sig.

FYI, if you need to remove/replace the rear blower motor, it actually comes out from the passenger side. Getting to it, removing it, and cleaning the screen are all very easy DIY projects.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Sinecure
Yes, there is a rear blower motor. It is located in the center console, beneath the gearshift. You pull off the kick panels (the ones that are half plastic / half carpeted) to get to it. Do a search on "grrr" and you'll find a good, long post on problems with the rear a/c. In this post there are photos and step-by-step instructions on how to repair the transistor. But it also has pictures of the rear blower motor and the often dirty screen that covers it.

You can also link to it from the FAQ that Midnight has published and I link to in my sig.

FYI, if you need to remove/replace the rear blower motor, it actually comes out from the passenger side. Getting to it, removing it, and cleaning the screen are all very easy DIY projects.
yeah I have been on that transistor thread for a while.. been there done that... didnt remember the blower being detailed though... heard alot of complaints about the front but very few about the rear so thats kind of what I was looking for... have already replaced the transistor and cleaned the screen but didnt see the blower accessible... thought you might have to pull the entire center console to get to it...

Will look at MidNights post and see if thats what I am looking for... thanks for the help....
Old 05-19-2009, 04:10 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by one4gatr

yeah I have been on that transistor thread for a while.. been there done that... didnt remember the blower being detailed though... heard alot of complaints about the front but very few about the rear so thats kind of what I was looking for... have already replaced the transistor and cleaned the screen but didnt see the blower accessible... thought you might have to pull the entire center console to get to it...

Will look at MidNights post and see if thats what I am looking for... thanks for the help....
Its pretty easy to replace. Just pop the panel off the passenger side and take some screws out.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Chopper Challenge Champion

Just cleaned mine out today. I had one leaf on the inside of the blower. It would make a buzzing noise at fan speed 4. While I was at it, I also changed the cabin air filter. There were a bunch of leaves inside the filter compartment that I vacuumed out.

If you plan to clean out the blower, check the cabin filter. And vice versa.
midnightMDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2011, 10:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks alot for this pdf!
mach mdx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2013, 06:57 PM   #11 (permalink)

How To Clean Blower Fan

The problem is getting to the rear bolt of the three bolts that hold the blower in place. To reach the rear bolt I had to take the kick panel out and use a 5/16" socket with a swivel. You have to be a contortionist to be able to work in that small space. My squirrel fan was filled completely with insulation; I can only guess a mouse was building a nest in it during the winter. After removing the insulation prior to re-installation I activated the A/C and the blower motor worked fine. To re-install the blower you have to pay attention as it is "keyed" and fits only one way. It took me an hour and a half from start to finish; I could probably do it in less than an hour if the mouse comes back.

VWM from Washington MO
VM2574 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2013, 09:53 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreidg3 View Post

Will these instructions apply to a 2006 MDX touring model?

Thanks in advance
Soultrain52 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2014, 08:41 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreidg3 View Post

I fixed mine today and replaced the cabin filter at the same time. No more annoying noise. Thank you for the service bulletin and a special thanks to midnightMDX for this amazing FAQ compilation. I refer to it at least once a month and can't even guess what's it saved me in time, money and frustration. It is AWESOME and much appreciated! Often I'll look over just to get ideas about what I want to do next... maybe I'll attempt the clear headlamp fix.
'14 Civic EX
kbweaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: