Please help! How to remove spare tire? - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 06-04-2006, 11:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Please help! How to remove spare tire?

Hi,

Could anyone tell me how to remove the Acura MDX 2002 spare tire from the bottom of the car? My friend is having a flat tire. It's completely deflated.

We tried to remove the spare tire and got it loose, but it's dangling on the cable cord with the knob. It took us over 1 hr just to do that. She doesn't know where her owner's manual is??? Thank you.
lily is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2006, 12:04 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to cardingtr Send a message via AIM to cardingtr Send a message via Yahoo to cardingtr
Open trunk-> find hatch-> on right side there is a square cover that says "SPARE TIRE" (duh!) Pop that out and use the jack tool to unscrew it.
03 Honda Accord EX
cardingtr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2006, 12:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Cool

lily,

Changing a flat tire, per the Acura MDX 2002 Owner's Manual:

1. Park the vehicle on firm, level and non-slippery ground away from traffic. PT the transmission in Park. Apply the parking brake.

2. Turn on the hazard warning lights and turn the ignition switch to LOCK (0). Have all the passengers get out of the vehicle while you change the tire.

3. Open the tailgate.

4. The tools and jack are behind a cover in the cargo area on the driver's side. Remove the cover by pushing the top of the cover.

5. Take the tools out of the storage compartment.

6. Turn the jack's end bracket counterclockwise to loosen it. the remove the jack.

7. The spare tire is stored underneath the rear cargo area. Remove the plastic cover on the cargo area lining to access the shaft for the spare tire hoist.

8. Put the wheel nut wrench on the hoist shaft. Turn the wrench counterclockwise to lower the spare tire on the ground.

9. Keep turning the wheel wrench to create slack in the cable.

10. Remove the bracket from the spare tire.

Yada, yada, yada. This should help. Good luck.
EXCALIBUR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2006, 12:36 AM   #4 (permalink)

Smile

Thank you for your quick responses! It's raining outside right now and it is almost midnight so we will take care of that first thing early tomorrow morning. Thanks again for you help!
Old 06-05-2006, 01:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

After reading this thread, I went to the garage and removed the spare tire from the MDX for the first time!! Figured it's about time it needed some air. Saw a couple of imprints on this spare tire due to the shape of the MDX's under-body pressing against this tire. Anyways, scrubbed/washed it nice and clean... and filled it back up to 60 psi (was 36). Probably jinxed myself... like preparing to use this spare tire soon...
Old 06-05-2006, 05:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by mdxx3
Saw a couple of imprints on this spare tire due to the shape of the MDX's under-body pressing against this tire.
WARNING: Those imprint marks on the Temporary Spare are permanent. For those using a FSS, it is best to use some padding before cranking it up in place to avoid making these same imprint marks on the tire. Old t-shirts folded up work great for this purpose.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by EXCALIBUR
WARNING: it is best to use some padding before cranking it up in place to avoid making these same imprint marks on the tire. Old t-shirts folded up work great for this purpose.
Wouldn't you want to use some sort of foam or something that won't hold moisture for as long as an old t-shirt will? Just a thought.

MidnightMDX's Awesome FAQ for the '01-'06 MDX
Sinecure is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2006, 05:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Cool

Sinecure,

Just about any sort of padding will work fine. I've never submerged my FSS in water while driving, so the rolled up t-shirts work fine. The idea is to pad the FSS tire so that there is something between the under body of the MDX and the FSS when you crank it up tight with the cable.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:34 AM   #9 (permalink)

Talking Now, taking out the flat tire

Ok,

I have another question to ask. My friend and I were able to remove the spare tire easily after from work today. We didn't have a chance to do in the morning. Then set up the lever and everything else, and took out the 5 bolts. However, we couldn't remove the tire??? Behind the Acure emblem there's another golden hexagonal shape over 1". My question is do I remove it?? What else is there to do to remove the tire??

I have changed small car spare tire before, but the MDX is giving me trouble. Thanks again.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:08 AM   #10 (permalink)

Re: Now, taking out the flat tire

Quote:
Originally posted by lily
Ok,

I have another question to ask. My friend and I were able to remove the spare tire easily after from work today. We didn't have a chance to do in the morning. Then set up the lever and everything else, and took out the 5 bolts. However, we couldn't remove the tire??? Behind the Acure emblem there's another golden hexagonal shape over 1". My question is do I remove it?? What else is there to do to remove the tire??

I have changed small car spare tire before, but the MDX is giving me trouble. Thanks again.
Please God tell me I reading this right. This is going to sound like a really stupid question..........but you did have that corner of the car jacked up off the ground right?

If there is one inch between the ground and the bottom of the tire......then the tire will practically fall off. The wheel is aluminum, and the hub it's bolted to is steel, so it woun't be rusted together. Do not remove the goldish castle nut. If for some reason it is sticking, and the car is jacked up, then stand out of the way, and kick it. Do not get underneath the car and push/pull.
1993 Toyota Camry LE White/Blue
1971 Cadillac Coupe Deville Yellow/Tan
eurohazard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2006, 01:10 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by EXCALIBUR
Sinecure,

Just about any sort of padding will work fine. I've never submerged my FSS in water while driving, so the rolled up t-shirts work fine. The idea is to pad the FSS tire so that there is something between the under body of the MDX and the FSS when you crank it up tight with the cable.
I understand the idea, I just wouldn't want something that's going to hold water under there. It IS going to get wet when you drive in rain/snow. I say use a piece of rubber if you want to do that.

Trapped, wet rag + freezing temps = problem.
Trapped, wet rag w/ salt + adjacent metal = possible rust/corrosion.

MidnightMDX's Awesome FAQ for the '01-'06 MDX
Sinecure is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2006, 01:35 AM   #12 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sinecure

Wet shirt + hot chick = priceless
dj-mdx2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2006, 07:46 AM   #13 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Cool Re: Now, taking out the flat tire

Quote:
Originally posted by lily
Ok,

Remember, SAFETY FIRST! I can appreciate that you and your friend are trying to change a flat tire yourselves. The MDX weighs over 4,000 lbs. and no one should risk injury or death over what should be a routine repair. If you are having this much difficulty removing the flat tire, it's time to call AAA or someone for help.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:47 AM   #14 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by Sinecure

I understand the idea, I just wouldn't want something that's going to hold water under there. It IS going to get wet when you drive in rain/snow. I say use a piece of rubber if you want to do that.

Use whatever padding you feel is appropriate for your driving conditions.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:48 AM   #15 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by dj-mdx2

Wet shirt + hot chick = priceless
Q: Would a padded bra be out of the question?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: