transmission fluid change - include a flush or not? - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-06-2005, 02:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

transmission fluid change - include a flush or not?

I'm a little confused. I need to change my transmission fluid soon. A couple of local shops (Firestone and Tires Plus) charge $80-100 for a fluid change and flush. I called my local Acura dealer yesterday and the service guy told me they charge $60 for just a change (No flush) as recommended. When I called the same dealer today, I spoke to a different service guy and he recommended the change AND flush, but the cost would be $175.

I do not pull anything and am not aware of any problems. Do you think the flush is necessary and worth the extra $$?
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2005, 02:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

The MDX, as well as a number of other vehicles, has two level of Tranny service. The basic is a simple pull the drain plug, let drain, refill. This method only gets about 1/3 of the fluid.

The second way can be done 2 ways. One is to use a machine to suck out the fluid or use the 3x method Acura suggests which is to do the basic one three times in a row so as to clean things as much as possible. I have only done level 1. I do not tow and do a lot of straight highway and am not that uptight about the tranny.
'96 Accord LX
phild_mason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2005, 08:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

Do you think the good idea that i change the trans fluid early(around 5-7K) instead of flush?

Thanks
huylanmdx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2005, 08:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showt...threadid=22610

lester123, You might want to check this thread. I would suggest doing the flush, as I've noticed an improved gas mileage as one other did.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:39 AM   #5 (permalink)

Honda is foolish by not allowing a complete passive fluid exchange to be performed... instead they have to recommend a wasteful, time consuming 3x drain and fill.

If you only do 1x drain and fills at the manual recommendatons you are under-maintaining... unless you'll turn the car back in prior to the warranty expiring, I'd be concerned.

Problem with non-Acura/Honda shops is that generally won't fill their exchange machine with Honda Z1 ATF... so you get some other fluid.

If you can change your own oil, you can change the ATF.....

A
2012 X5 35d Diesel (Sweet)
2001 F250 4x4PSD (Beast)
another truck, two tractors...
ardvarkus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2005, 06:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

There are some Honda and Acura dealers that do flushes (fluid exchange). But seem to be few and far between.
DaleB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2005, 09:19 AM   #7 (permalink)

Technically...we do have a machine to do it. Ever Honda/Acura dealer should have it since it's a factory required tool. It's supposed to be used to flush out the cooler and lines when we replace a transmission. I can't see why it couldn't be used to flush to entire transmission...if it has remote cooler lines. But we still do the standard triple flush. I've had some transmissions where the fluid still isn't quite new looking even after the third fill, but I've never been able to sell an additional flush. Hard enough getting people to pay for one.
SuperTech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2005, 10:17 AM   #8 (permalink)

Oops, I ment this thread

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showt...4&goto=newpost
Old 10-11-2005, 11:21 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by SuperTech
Technically...we do have a machine to do it. Ever Honda/Acura dealer should have it since it's a factory required tool. It's supposed to be used to flush out the cooler and lines when we replace a transmission. I can't see why it couldn't be used to flush to entire transmission...if it has remote cooler lines. But we still do the standard triple flush. I've had some transmissions where the fluid still isn't quite new looking even after the third fill, but I've never been able to sell an additional flush. Hard enough getting people to pay for one.
Does Acura/Honda condone/approve the use of the machine for changing the fluid?

Is there an (easy) way to rig up a system to use the fluid pump in the tranny to just passively exchange the fluid? Like disconnecting the cooler lines, running one into a bucket and another to a tub filled with clean ATF? Is there sufficient suction, or is it a pressurized system? Could you use gravity to feed the fresh fluid in? (Like put the tub up 6-8 feet and feed the hose from the bottom.

A poor man's flush. MUCH easier that 3x...Heck, never even undo a drain or fill plug!

A
2012 X5 35d Diesel (Sweet)
2001 F250 4x4PSD (Beast)
another truck, two tractors...
ardvarkus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2005, 11:41 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by ardvarkus

Does Acura/Honda condone/approve the use of the machine for changing the fluid?

Is there an (easy) way to rig up a system to use the fluid pump in the tranny to just passively exchange the fluid? Like disconnecting the cooler lines, running one into a bucket and another to a tub filled with clean ATF?
I can't image they do. The filter on the machine would have to be changed almost every other flush if we did that.

What you suggest sounds somewhat do-able. Those two hoses going to the cooler would be where to do it. Obviously one is going to blow fluid out under pressure from the pump. But I don't think the other is under suction. I would imagine that pickup for pump suction is at the bottom of the transmission. So you'd have to fill through the "in" hose acording to how much came out. And I think that the new fluid you put in will mingle with old fluid inside the transmission before that old fluid has a chance to be pumped out. So a straight fluid exchange won't happen this way. In all honesty, other than not having to crack open a drain plug...this really has no advantages over the standard triple flush.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:50 PM   #11 (permalink)

Is it Honda recommend to change transmission fluid at 100k miles? I don't see that before any interval, any ideas?

105,000 mi/168,000 km/7 yrs Scheduled Maintenance
Recommended service for your 2003 Acura MDX:
Replace transmission fluid.
Replace transfer assembly fluid.
#Replace timing belt, and inspect water pump.
Inspect valve clearance.
Replace spark plugs.
Replace engine oil.
Rotate tires (follow pattern on page 335 of your owner's manual).
Replace engine oil filter.
Inspect front and rear brakes.
Inspect tie rod ends, steering gearbox and boots.
Inspect suspension components.
Inspect driveshaft boots.
Check parking brake adjustment.
Inspect brake hoses and lines (including ABS).
Check all fluid levels, condition of fluids and check for leaks.
#Inspect exhaust system.
#Inspect fuel lines and connections.
# = See information on maintenance and emissions warranty, last column, page 297 in your owner's manual.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:17 PM   #12 (permalink)

Not a big fan of flush. If you drive not too crazy on regular roads and change fluids regualrly like me, I don't think any flush is needed. Have a 92 Accord, 185k miles, never flushed anything, just regular drain and fill. Never had any engine or tranny problems. Look at the owner's manual, does it mention any "flush" as a regular maintenance item? No! Why? Go figure!

I am not saying it's useless, but not necessary. It's also true that the dealer will make more money on it. But I doubt it will do anything good to your car. Just like a dealer told me my brake is "due cleaning". I know they just want to make more money. What good will that do to my vehicle to "clean the brake"? I believe my tires are "due Shampooing" also.

Some people claim that tranny flush will increase the power. It doesn't make sense. Flush has nothing to do with the power output of the engine. It's just a personal feel and I would say it's very possible jsut psychological with no scientific proof (I doubt any dealer will dare to prove it). It's possible though that the dealer puts some Octane booster in your tank to make you feel some kind of difference.

Yes, regular drain and fill will replace about 1/3 of the fluid in the tranny, but I believe the manufacturer had taken into account of that factor already.

For my MDX, it's about 36k miles now, the color of the tranny fluid is still red. Since the owner's manual suggests, I would do a 3x when it's 45k, and that's it.
2008 BMW 750Li
2003 MDX Navi
2000 Sienna LX
1992 Accord EX, 205k, Strong
1992 Accord LX, 226k, Strong, Retired, Parting Out
1988 Camry, Sold
1982 Accord, Sold
1978 Toronado, Junked
richkuan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2005, 01:31 PM   #13 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SuperTech
Technically...we do have a machine to do it. Ever Honda/Acura dealer should have it since it's a factory required tool.
I should say, some even advertise it and have specials.
DaleB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2005, 02:17 PM   #14 (permalink)

It's probably a different machine. The actual tool that's used to flush the cooler looks like a 30 gallon air compressor that has a heater/pump/filter assembly. I'd post a picture of it, but I'm too lazy to figure out how to get a pic off of a pdf file and make a jpg out of it.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:26 PM   #15 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

ScreenHunter is your friend for getting anything on your screen into a jpg.

http://www.download.com/ScreenHunter...ml?tag=lst-0-1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: