Driving on the spare tire - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 09-02-2005, 08:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Driving on the spare tire

Got a nail in my front tire and had to use the spare. Have close to 30k miles on the set of Michelin CTs so I decided to replace them all at Costco. Unfortunately, they do not carry the right size and have to order it. My question is how long can I drive on the donut and are there traveling distances or speeds I should avoid with the donut.
alluu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2005, 09:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Read the manual, why should we read ours to tell you what to do.
NCHMDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2005, 09:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Keep it under 55 mph for sure. I believe the tire itself may indicate that it is not intended for speeds over 45.

I would hate to go any further than 20-30 miles. Although it can go farther, the car will handle very poorly and be even worse in an emergency situation.

There are a lot of other good tire choices out there, I'd look at some alternatives instead of stressing about riding on the donut.

NCHMDX... the point of participating in these forums is to share any knowlege with fellow MDXers. Half the posts on here can be answered with the manual, so if that were a requirement it would be a pretty lightly visited site.

'03 MDX
'04 BMW 525
'92 Porsche 968 Cab
Ceenit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2005, 09:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

Re: Driving on the spare tire

Quote:
Originally posted by alluu
Got a nail in my front tire and had to use the spare. Have close to 30k miles on the set of Michelin CTs so I decided to replace them all at Costco. Unfortunately, they do not carry the right size and have to order it. My question is how long can I drive on the donut and are there traveling distances or speeds I should avoid with the donut.
This is a good opportunity to get a real spare. Find a cheap rim at a junk yard or other cheap rim place. Then get a decent spare that you can safely use with your regular tires.

G
Old 09-02-2005, 10:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

Re: Re: Driving on the spare tire

Quote:
Originally posted by G. COLTON

This is a good opportunity to get a real spare. Find a cheap rim at a junk yard or other cheap rim place. Then get a decent spare that you can safely use with your regular tires.

G
Does that mean I can stow a regular tire in place of the spare underneath the vehicle?
dpham is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2005, 10:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

Re: Re: Re: Driving on the spare tire

Quote:
Originally posted by dpham

Does that mean I can stow a regular tire in place of the spare underneath the vehicle?
Yes
Old 09-02-2005, 10:29 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Of course.....do a search for FSS, or Full Size Spare! This is a big topic. Maybe Acura should have just used a FSS.
1993 Toyota Camry LE White/Blue
1971 Cadillac Coupe Deville Yellow/Tan
eurohazard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2005, 11:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

Re: Driving on the spare tire

Quote:
Originally posted by alluu
This is your chance to buy REAL tires! Run.....don't walk to your local Goodyear store!

The Cross Terrains are junk. Try the Goodyear Fortera Silent Armor tires. 70,000 mile tread life and better ride, handling, etc. all for about the same money as the Cross Terrains.

I have had the Cross Terrains on 2 different SUV's and have replaced them with the Goodyear Forteras....much better tires!
Echo2625 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2005, 04:03 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
This is a good opportunity to get a real spare. Find a cheap rim at a junk yard or other cheap rim place. Then get a decent spare that you can safely use with your regular tires
It is hard to find MDX parts at junk yard. Anyone know Pilot or Odyssey use same size rim as MDX?
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: