Idiots forget to put the oil cap after oil change - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 06-20-2005, 10:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Angry Idiots forget to put the oil cap after oil change

I had no idea that the idiots at the dealership forgot to put the oil cap back after the oil change until I opened the hood to routinely check the fluid levels. This is after driving without the oil cap for about a week.

My question to you all is - what kind of damage would this do to the engine?

According to the dealer's service rep, this wouldn't do any harm to the engine since the engine throws out and doesn't suck in. I'm not sure how valid this statement is.

"Veni, Vidi, Velcro" - I came; I saw; I stuck around.
MDroX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2005, 10:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'd think the dealership should in good faith, clean your engine, and give you a few free oil changes.
I know mistakes can happen, but what if it was something as simple as forgetting to tighten your lug nuts? The out come might not of been the same.
I'd go in and talk to the service manager, in a calm manner and see how they treat you. The out come will let you know what they think about customer service.
body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally wore out, shouting"..holy
crap...what a ride!" - Unknown
R-MDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2005, 10:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to nightguy
Got pics ?

A lot of it depends on what type of driving you do. If it splashed out I would think you could smell it. Actually, I think I'd be able to smell it just with the cap open. I'm shocked the oil light didn't go on.

2004 Touring/SBP/Quartz/cargo cover, cargo tray, OEM trailer hitch kit
nightguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2005, 12:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Re: Idiots forget to put the oil cap after oil change

Quote:
Originally posted by MDroX

According to the dealer's service rep, this wouldn't do any harm to the engine since the engine throws out and doesn't suck in. I'm not sure how valid this statement is.
Well, guess you did not lose any oil.
I guess they mean there is positive pressure as long as the engine is running.
I would probably push for a free change anyway to get out any dirt that may have entered.
Surprised some lights did not come on, usually the system is sealed for purposes of emissions.
DaleB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2005, 02:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Send a message via AIM to BWSmith201 Send a message via Yahoo to BWSmith201
I once had my X serviced in Chattanooga and they forgot to completely screw on the UNDERSIDE oil cap, where it flows out. It was just before I set out across the country and it was leaking out fairly slowly allllllll the way.

I got back to Colorado and finally noticed a splotch in my garage that clued me in (since it hadn't been parked anywhere very long while coming on I-70 I never noticed it!).

I did call the service manager from home and told him of it, he offered me some free oil changes and a profuse apology.

Fortunately I found it out before it got so low that it caused major damage, since the X just has the "idiot light," and not an oil gauge.

I look under my hood but I never would think to make sure that something like that had been done properly. I don't think it's unreasonable to think that I shouldn't have to crawl under my car to make sure that a cap has been screwed back on properly after paying a department for an oil change.

Whoa...it's still got my goat a couple of years after the fact...!
BWSmith201 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2005, 07:25 AM   #6 (permalink)

Having the oil filler cap on or off has no effect on the engine. This is one of those mistakes that unfortunately happens from time to time. You will also occasionally find that the dip stick has not been put back in. Anybody that has done their own maintenance over many years can attest to how easy it is to make one of these simple mistakes. I can remember the time that I dumped two quarts of oil on my driveway before I realized that I had not installed the drain plug.

G
Old 06-21-2005, 11:41 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks guys for the responses. Appreciate it.

I hope no harm was done to the engine. Engine oil indicator didn't come on and also the dip stick showed the correct oil levels so I guess it will be OK if I just have them replace the oil and put a new cap on.

Next time before leaving the shop, I'm going to double check everything.

thanks again.

"Veni, Vidi, Velcro" - I came; I saw; I stuck around.
MDroX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2005, 12:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Next time change your own oil or ALWAYS EYE BALL INSPECT DEALERSHIPS WORK ! ANYONES WORK FOR THAT MATTER !

Tell you a story.....a local tire shop had my business for about a year. All they would do is rotate these expensive S03 tires every 3K miles. They would also check fluid levels. They forgot to put the power steering fluid cap back on. When I got home I ALWAYS check ANY work done on my cars ! I noticed that BLOOD RED cap missing. They ordered a new one and I never returned to that place again. Some times you get what you pay for ! I noticed high turn over in ghetto thug employees and decided that was the last draw !
2007 RDX Tech package/Pearl White/Ebony
2007 MDX Sport/Ent. Black/Ebony

2006 Lucchese Classics Black/Cherry Nile Crocodile belly, upper Black US Buffalo

** Converted to Zaino on 06-12-2002 **
Fabvsix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2005, 04:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

Glad your oil level was ok. Leaving off the oil filler cap is not harmless. Under some conditions, oil can spill out and cause a fire, as well as leaving the engine low on oil. Also dust and sand can enter the engine especially since there is a vacuum in the engine. And there is no air filter cleaning the air coming in the filler hole. There are no excuses. Ridiculous is the word.
oilchange is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2005, 08:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Fabvsix
Next time change your own oil or ALWAYS EYE BALL INSPECT DEALERSHIPS WORK ! ANYONES WORK FOR THAT MATTER ! ...
Completely agree.

2004 350Z Roadster - my toy
2008 G35S - my new daily driver
mgmdx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2005, 11:10 PM   #11 (permalink)

The same thing happened to my X.

May 2001, got the oil changed by the dealer, drove double digit hours to my brother-in-laws college graduation and back.

When I got back, I noticed the cap missing.

The dealer said it would not be a problem, and so far it has not been. They changed the oil again at my request. I have 58k on the X now and all is well.
hopper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2005, 12:31 PM   #12 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Do you think they would SAY yeah its a problem, we will fix it ? ?????????? Of course not ! Was it designed to go with the cap off ? No, there is a reason for it being there !

Its called careless work ! I wouldn't bring my car back there !
2007 RDX Tech package/Pearl White/Ebony
2007 MDX Sport/Ent. Black/Ebony

2006 Lucchese Classics Black/Cherry Nile Crocodile belly, upper Black US Buffalo

** Converted to Zaino on 06-12-2002 **
Fabvsix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2005, 11:01 AM   #13 (permalink)

same thing happened to my sister's Pilot ... she drove several thousand miles without it. I suggested she insist on free oil changes, steam clean the engine compartment, and certainly note in the service records in case she ever has a future engine problem.
Old 06-24-2005, 11:17 AM   #14 (permalink)

Take care of the vehicle by yourself

I always feel that taking care the vihicle is just like taking care of the kids. You want someone else to take care of your own babies? Will they care the kids as you do? Of course not. The only persons that really cares about the kids are the parents. Same for vehicles, the only persons that really cares about the cars are the owners, no one else. I had seen too many cases that mechanics don't know what they are doing and just "experimenting" on customers' vehicles and hide the damage quietly.

Always do the maintenance by yourself. It's not hard at all. Taking care of the vehicles is much much easier than taking care of babies. You have owner's manual, you can borrow service manuals from library. Spend a little time from time to time, ask questions at places like here, and get acquainted with your car and take good care of it.
2008 BMW 750Li
2003 MDX Navi
2000 Sienna LX
1992 Accord EX, 205k, Strong
1992 Accord LX, 226k, Strong, Retired, Parting Out
1988 Camry, Sold
1982 Accord, Sold
1978 Toronado, Junked
richkuan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2005, 09:19 PM   #15 (permalink)

I guess it does depend on the type of engine and driving. Early one morning my two sleepy brothers took off on an Interstate trip in my Dad's new diesel Rabbit after one of them, who shall remain nameless, had changed the oil late the night before.

George: "I'm pretty sure I put the oil cap back on, maybe we should stop and check."

John: "Oh you wouldn't forget something as stupid as that!"

George: "Yeah, you must be right."

A little later ...

John: "What's that noise?"

George: "How much does a new engine cost?"
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: