2001 Acura MDX Navigation Sytem Installation - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 04-15-2004, 09:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question 2001 Acura MDX Navigation Sytem Installation

I recently purchased a 2001 navigation unit on Ebay, I got the display unit, the dvd player, and the bose system(6-disc) but i didnt get the gps antenna and any of the wires at all. I was wondering, Is the conversion a pain in the butt or should I just sell this back on ebay. I tried doin it myself and noticed that both of the wires for the display unit fit, but when I plugged into it I got no display(completely black/blank screen) and when I plugged in the bose system I got the radio etc to work but the volume was really low at max level. I believe I'm missing the gps antenna and all the wires, any help on where to get the wires, gps antenna, links etc.. any help regarding this matter would be greatly appreciated. Anyone know if the Acura dealer will install this unit or of any stores or shop in the Rhode Island or Massachusetts area that would install this unit?
smiley02190 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2004, 10:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

To the best of my knowledge, an OEM Nav retrofit has never been done successfully. I believe that the general consensus is that it is so difficult and costly that it is not feasible (or practical if you prefer).

I believe that you will find that the advice is:

(1) Buy an aftermarket Nav unit (Garmin, etc.)

--or--

(2) Get rid of (trade, sell) the non-Nav MDX and buy one with Nav.
Old 04-15-2004, 10:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

You'll also need the PCM unit. I doubt you can find that on eBay.
http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showt...257#post206257
RIP - 1995 Polo Green Olds Achieva S Series II Coupe
zafer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2004, 03:33 AM   #4 (permalink)

I think we should have the "X" prize, similar to the prize when a private rocket goes into space.

Only this one is for the first person to retrofit a non NAV MDX with a OEM NAV unit. - win 3000 acuramdx.org points or something like that.

I think it is safe, though. After 3 years, no one has done it yet, and I don't think anyone is going to do it anytime soon.
weth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2004, 09:41 AM   #5 (permalink)

I don't think anyone has done it yet because you will be better off selling your X and get one with the NAV. It's possible to do but just not worth the time and money. It has been done on the TL so I don't see why it's not possible on the X.
vlam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2005, 02:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to aarmani69 Send a message via Yahoo to aarmani69
I would like to purchase your system if you still have it. Let me know.
aarmani69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2005, 06:09 AM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to kpcarter
Hi Everyone... I am a new member of the forum and I wanted to say hi and announce the challenge I am up against. I have lurked on this forum reading for some time and have read that retrofitting a nav unit on a non-nav Acura MDX is all but impossible. well... I am in a unique position to test this out. I have a 2001 Acura MDX Touring non-nav. I bought a completely disassembled, mint condition, 2005 Navigation unit, including the complete head unit, DVD player, DVD disk, GPS Antenna, and two large wiring harness groups on eBay this past week. It was sold by a junk yard dealer that disassembles cars that are totalled and resells parts on eBay... I believe they are called LKQ Online. I have a professional installer coming Monday to look at the system and give a thumbs up or down on installation. So the only question I have is... I've read there is a device under the hood that transmits speed info for the GPS system... some one called it a PCM... what does the PCM look like and where does one find it in a Nav capable Acura MDX?

So the challenge is before me (us) ... so, I just want send out the invite to join with me to try and make this happen... any ideas, news, technical publications, opinions would be most appreciated. Lets make this a group project.

Thanks, Kevin
kpcarter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2005, 09:59 AM   #8 (permalink)

np
vlam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2005, 03:02 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by kpcarter
Lets make this a group project.

Thanks, Kevin
Hi Kevin- welcome to the board.

Since it is you car in you garage, it will be hard to make it a group project....

it will be very complicated and you will just need to 'gut it out' You MUST have the wiring schematics for the donor car AND the recipient car. SImply compare and HOPE that the needed wires and modules are in one or both....

I can't imagine trying it without both schematics.
2012 X5 35d Diesel (Sweet)
2001 F250 4x4PSD (Beast)
another truck, two tractors...
ardvarkus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2005, 12:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

ardvarkus, when I say "group project" I mean that in a virtual sense... this is a community forum... all can participate virtually through this forum...

Here is the link to what I won...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWN%3AIT

everyone reading this... please take a look and comment as you notice things or know something about what I have...

Thanks again everyone!

Kevin
Old 08-20-2005, 01:09 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
ardvarkus, when I say "group project" I mean that in a virtual sense... this is a community forum... all can participate virtually through this forum...

Here is the link to what I won...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWN%3AIT

everyone reading this... please take a look and comment as you notice things or know something about what I have...

Thanks again everyone!

Kevin
I am reminded of the feeling when I am talking with venture capital investors who come in to review a company for investments. They start asking question, which is expected. You've known them for 45 minutes, and they say "So, how are WE going to address market acceptance of...blah, blah"

WE?

In my mind I thing: "I don't know what YOU are doing, but the COMPANY will be doing this."

Anyway, back to your post- So, a 'group project' to install YOUR navigation rings a little bit hollow to me, personally. Sure, feel free to post and ask and all that- just don't stroke us with WE pep talks.

I gave you a valuable tip on the schematics- if your professional installer hasn't asked for this, then he is just a car stereo hack. But he might get it to work, who knows.

My 'free to post, this is a community forum' two cents..

A

PS A PCM is the power train control module or engine computer. It is expensive. In the 2001 service manual there are PAGES on info on it. First order of business would be to contact a dealer and get the part numbers for 2001 with and without nav- if the same, why worry about it?
2001 F250 4x4PSD (Beast)
Old 08-20-2005, 01:46 PM   #12 (permalink)

ardvarkus, dude... not sure what you ment by that... but, uh... sorry if I affended?????

To others in the forum that are not affended by communicating with me about this "virtual" "group" "project"... any ideas or help would be most appreciated...

Kevin
Old 08-20-2005, 02:22 PM   #13 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

I admire your initiative, KP and smiley, to undertake such a project.
When entering complicated projects (with or without help) I often have to remind myself of what the expected results would be, and at one point I might throw in the towel because the costs (not only in terms of money) are not worth the effort.
Especially, where there can be very viable alternatives. Even ones that are better than the original factory system, and the challenge of integrating those into my MDX in a way that would be the equal or even superior to the original install could be much more interesting.

That's strictly my opinion and not meant to pass judgement on your decision one way or the other.
DaleB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2005, 02:29 PM   #14 (permalink)

Acura is a bit of an affliction... so the money provides no barrier... if it works ... great... if it doesn't... some lucky Acura MDX owner gets mint condition parts for their totalled car...

Thanks for the advice...

Kevin
Old 08-20-2005, 05:55 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
ardvarkus, dude... not sure what you ment by that... but, uh... sorry if I affended?????

To others in the forum that are not affended by communicating with me about this "virtual" "group" "project"... any ideas or help would be most appreciated...

Kevin
Kevin, dude...

Just slightly offended- or just maybe amused at the throwing out this "challenge' as a way of getting the help- either way, I thought I was- in fact- giving some tips. I note no response on my suggestion of haviing shcematics- not a good sign in my book.

I've owned an MDX since Oct 6 2000, an been a member here for some time- I've never heard of a SUCCESSFUL retrofit.

I am positive it can be done, and if money is no object there is no doubt.

If you have a dedicated, skilled automotive electronics technician (NOT a stereo installer) he will be able to duplicate a 2001 Nav wiring harness- either by direct replacement or adding the necessary conductors.

If the factory can make two versions then it can be done.

Personally, as an EE, I despise jury-rigged, add on stuff- a clean 'factory perfect' install would be my target.

A
2001 F250 4x4PSD (Beast)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: