Dvd r + or - for Audio Storage. How to burn?? - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-08-2012, 04:08 AM   #1 (permalink)

Dvd r + or - for Audio Storage. How to burn??

Ok so - I've got a 2007 Acura MDX with Navi, Tech & XM.

So as I have found, it looks like it is possible to play Dvd's for audio. Thats pretty awesome, because now you can have 4.7gb (or 8+gb dual layer) for storing music.

I find this super convenient & the sound quality is absolutely top notch. But heres the million dollar question. How to?????

I have Literally tried everything to get those things to burn. I have tried Sony DVD+R Discs as Data files & then audio files. No dice. 2 dvd's wasted.

Then I took the forum suggestion & got Memorex DVD-R dics, Burned as a Data discs, burned as an audio disc. ALSO NO DICE!! 3 More DVD'S wasted!

So my question is what is the magic formula to make this happen?

Who has actually done this? What disc did you use? How did you burn it? What software? What kind of computer?

I've tried it through windows media player & just window 7's traditional burn method and every time I get a "BAD DISC" error on my screen.

Please help. Thanks in advance
EyeMdx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2012, 12:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

I tried some time ago with mix results. DVD Audio is a special format on its own. You need special software to burn those disks.

I tried some software that supported dvd audio and the sound was great but there were one or two tracks that will caused the dvd disk to be ejected from the player. The rest of the dvd sounded like a concert because I converted the music to seven channels and adjusted the volume level. Off my head I can't remember the name of the software but there are some posts discussing these.
... side windows acrylic deflectors,
... Michelin Latitude Tour HP 275/45R19
2010 Acura TL Tech.
2001 Mercedes ML 320
2005 Mercedes ML 500 AMG Package
AC_MDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 02:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

There are two formats to be considered - DVD-A and generic DVD data disks that have MP3 content on them.

Cirlinca HD Audio Solo seems to be the cheapest DVD-A mastering software out there for Windows PCs, however unless you have scads of 6.1 source material or 24 bit and above audio files it probably isn't worth your while.

I was able to successfully create DVD-As using their demo version, but I didn't have enough HD content to make it worthwhile to buy it.

Not sure about the 2007 deck but I have had no problems playing data DVDs of all sorts of formats ( +R, -R, DL etc. ) in my 2012. I've used Nero tools ( commercial ) and also ImgBurn and Easy CD Creator ( both freeware ). I didn't do anything special, just burned DVDs with MP3s as the data. Perhaps the 2007 was more fussy about file system formats and media.

Do the DVDs you create read and play okay on your computer ?

Edit: If the DVDs you create don't work in a computer DVD drive ( as data disks ) then you know problem is in your burner or software not in your MDX stereo deck.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
kgb

I am using Nero program and it works fine. I use DVD- discs. Sounds quality is great. The only problem I have sometimes is that discs stop been recognized after a while. Come as an "bad disc" message.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:38 AM   #5 (permalink)

I think that you are mistaken, is not DVDs with data, it's DVD-A format, which are different. I tried burning song in DVDs and then using them in my RDX and they didn't work. There are programs to record in the proper format, but it doesn't gain you anything unless te songs were ripped in a very high quality multi channel format (I'm an idiot where it comes to audio though)
You'd be better off simply burning mp3 CDs and having multiple ones (I believe yours has a 6cd changer, my 2012 is a single one)

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
wrestrepo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 10:56 AM   #6 (permalink)

There is a huge improvement when you use features available with the audio dvd burning software to pseudo convert them to 7 channels. You can fix the music levels on all your songs to give you a very rich sub- woofer/bass sound at very low volume levels.

The amplitude levels and music content on the audio dvds are a lot higher than cds or dvds and therefore your music will be richer and all the songs will have the volume normalized/maximized.

All my audio dvd songs created from cds and downloaded music sound a lot better on the dvd audio, no doubt about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestrepo View Post
I think that you are mistaken, is not DVDs with data, it's DVD-A format, which are different. I tried burning song in DVDs and then using them in my RDX and they didn't work. There are programs to record in the proper format, but it doesn't gain you anything unless te songs were ripped in a very high quality multi channel format (I'm an idiot where it comes to audio though)
You'd be better off simply burning mp3 CDs and having multiple ones (I believe yours has a 6cd changer, my 2012 is a single one)

... side windows acrylic deflectors,
... Michelin Latitude Tour HP 275/45R19
2010 Acura TL Tech.
2001 Mercedes ML 320
2005 Mercedes ML 500 AMG Package
AC_MDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 11:59 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_MDX View Post
I tried some time ago with mix results. DVD Audio is a special format on its own. You need special software to burn those disks.

I tried some software that supported dvd audio and the sound was great but there were one or two tracks that will caused the dvd disk to be ejected from the player. The rest of the dvd sounded like a concert because I converted the music to seven channels and adjusted the volume level. Off my head I can't remember the name of the software but there are some posts discussing these.
Thanks ac. Yea I'm not talking about 7.1 surround sound, although the times when I've heard it -yea it was pretty amazing. For now I'm just looking for a quick and simple way to burn all my 2 channel stereo tracks to DVD. Really just trying to play them in the CD player with all my albums burned to 2 or 3 discs. Kinda like an iPod, minus the iPod.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 12-09-2012, 12:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaffan View Post
There are two formats to be considered - DVD-A and generic DVD data disks that have MP3 content on them.

Cirlinca HD Audio Solo seems to be the cheapest DVD-A mastering software out there for Windows PCs, however unless you have scads of 6.1 source material or 24 bit and above audio files it probably isn't worth your while.

I was able to successfully create DVD-As using their demo version, but I didn't have enough HD content to make it worthwhile to buy it.

Not sure about the 2007 deck but I have had no problems playing data DVDs of all sorts of formats ( +R, -R, DL etc. ) in my 2012. I've used Nero tools ( commercial ) and also ImgBurn and Easy CD Creator ( both freeware ). I didn't do anything special, just burned DVDs with MP3s as the data. Perhaps the 2007 was more fussy about file system formats and media.

Do the DVDs you create read and play okay on your computer ?

Edit: If the DVDs you create don't work in a computer DVD drive ( as data disks ) then you know problem is in your burner or software not in your MDX stereo deck.
Hi leaf, that's kinda what I was talking about. When I was reading the topic on this before, there were a number of people trying to do this with zero issues & successful results. It just seemed like a no brainer & so maybe I'm doing it wrong. When I tried the free Nero software, it would tell me it can't burn because it's the wrong kind of disc, I was trying to burn to DVD.

I will try those other apps you suggested, maybe I'll have better results.

Old 12-09-2012, 12:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:

Well I can confirm that the cds as mp3s do work. I have a CD data disc with about 100 songs that's working fine. It's pretty cool how you can separate the folders into different artists - just like an iPod!

So that is what I'm trying to accomplish but just with dvds, and I know it's possible, I have faith!

Old 12-09-2012, 02:40 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeMdx View Post
Well I can confirm that the cds as mp3s do work. I have a CD data disc with about 100 songs that's working fine. It's pretty cool how you can separate the folders into different artists - just like an iPod!

So that is what I'm trying to accomplish but just with dvds, and I know it's possible, I have faith!

I don't know I we are speaking the same language, mp3s burnt in a cd disk will work, burnt on a DVD disk as data will not, this is my experience.
I had the same idea you did, and at least in the RDX it didn't work.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:18 PM   #11 (permalink)

Take a look here and see what I'm talking about...http://www.mdxers.org/forums/74-2007...tml?perpage=23
Old 12-09-2012, 06:23 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
My 2012 Tech/Ent can play DVD-A or DVD data disks in the upper disk drive ( not the DVD-Video drive on the bottom). Perhaps the RDX and older Ms can't do it.

Over many years I backed up my MP3 collection on many different brands of DVD media and so far every one I've tried has played ( as a DVD data disk ). I have also created new ones on DVD-DL ( +R ) media that also work. I use the default DVD format setting in Nero, nothing special.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:37 PM   #13 (permalink)

****, I stand corrected then. One more thing the RDX was lacking.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:10 AM   #14 (permalink)

Post deleted.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: