radio problem - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-02-2010, 12:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

radio problem

Hi folks - have a nasty problem here. 2006 MDX. Around 68,000 miles. A couple of weeks ago, my radio went haywire. The code prompt came up but after typing in the code exactly one time, the whole radio locked up, with the whole radio on. I thought, no big deal, I'll deal with it in the morning. Well, the battery died.

After recharging the battery (through AAA) I went a week or so with no problems, then happened again. This time I disconnected the battery overnight. Put the code in, but then after sitting in the parking lot for a few hours, the radio went kaput again. Yesterday I changed the battery, since my mechanic said during the load test that the battery was borderline ok. Still the same issues - except that the radio is turned off, but only the back light is on constantly. My guess is that the radio is connected to some auxiliary power source that is keeping the back light on.

My guess is that the radio is bad, but it'll take a few days to get a different radio (I have a source nearby). Acura says it'll cost $175 just to examine the problem. Taking out the radio fuse doesn't help. The question I have is this - is there a way to disconnect the radio easily such that in no way that it drains the battery? I'm not sure if having the back light on will do this, but I'm paranoid, and I don't want to disconnect the battery cable again - too much of a hassle considering I'm rushing out the door every day.
ProfessorP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2010, 02:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Chopper Challenge Champion

This DIY can help you remove the radio.
My iPod/Blitzsafe Install

Hopefully thats the issue. But its weird that pulling the radio fuse didnt help. Wonder if something else in the system got fried. Do you have NAV? Do you use the front accessory socket?
midnightMDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2010, 06:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

yeah I would have thought that pulling the fuse would have killed the radio backlight, but the backlight was on after removing it.

I use the word 'was', because in the last day, the back light on the radio has behaved like I thought and hasn't turned on with the fuse pulled. I think it's a coincidence. FWIW, the anti-theft light is constant red - not sure what that means.

I do have NAV, and the NAV is working fine interestingly enough. However, my steering wheel controls such as bluetooth and volume control is not working, and as such the Navigation sound does not work. Does the radio control these things?

I'm going to head to Short Circuit in San Jose tomorrow and get to the bottom of this.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

spoke too soon - the damn radio backlight is lighted up like a Christmas tree again. The weird thing if this makes sense is that the Auto Theft light is not on. Before, the radio backlight was not on and the Auto Theft light was a solid red. I think the two are related.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

latest update on this.

managed to figure out how to pull the radio out. Unplugged the radio, then plugged the radio back in the next day. Put in the code, and sure enough, everything works. Alas, it was only for about 25 minutes or so of driving. After the 25 minutes or so, all of a sudden while driving, no more sound and the anti-theft light goes on, solid red.

I unplugged the radio. Waited 2 hours, plugged it back in - but the anti-theft light is still solid red.

I went ahead and bought a used one on Ebay for $150+shipping. I figure that if this new one works, I'll get the other one fixed and then sell one of them back on Ebay. If it still has the same problem, I'll still sell one of them on Ebay, but then it's probably another problem. Maybe the amp is bad and unstable? Anyone know what solid red on the anti-theft LED means? The light also seems to go off every once in a while as well.

Oh, by the way, unplugging the radio fuse only kills the amp (sound). Apparently doesn't kill the radio. Which probably makes sense since the radio does control the Navigation.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

so, follow up on this. Got my radio from EBay for $150. New radio works like a charm once I went to the dealership and got the code.

I'd still like to repair my old radio if possible. Anyone know of a good place in the San Francisco Bay Area? Short Circuit in San Jose is reputable, but wanted $120 just for a estimate, on top of the price that they would charge, so I'm staying away from there. Rive Electronics in Brentwood charges a flat rate of $149, but they're over an hour drive and they're not open on weekends or evenings.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Chopper Challenge Champion

Definitely not worth it. Give it to SBM MDX he can fix anything.
midnightMDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: