Removing clear plastic LCD display cover from center console? - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 06-30-2010, 08:05 AM   #1 (permalink)

Removing clear plastic LCD display cover from center console?

I have an '09 MDX with Tech Pkg (Navi). While cleaning the interior, I used some Blue Magic on the plexiglass or whatever that covers the radio/HVAC control display (trying to remove some fine scratches). Unfortunately I used too much, and some of it seeped under the cover and dried there. In my infinite wisdom, I later tried to blow some of it out with canned air and that made it worse (some flakes of it blew upward onto the display itself).

I found instructions on the net on how to remove the dashboard trim in order to pull out the whole stack unit. I was hoping that with the trim off, I'd be able to lift the cover off the LCD display by the edges and clean behind it. But when I got to that point, the cover wasn't budging with some moderate pressure, and I didn't want to break it or make things worse if it was on there with glue or something. (It's entirely possible that you just have to pull harder, but again, lacking instructions on how to remove the cover, I was worried about damaging it.)

Has anyone done this before? I guess I could ask the dealer to do it on my next visit, but I fear they may tell me the cover is not removable. The dash trim actually comes off without much issue as long as you know where the clips are so I'd rather do it myself if possible. It's also one of those issues that is pretty minor in the grand scheme of things, that I'd feel silly to pay for.

Please advise if this is the wrong forum, I figured anyone doing audio work would be most familiar with this piece of equipment.
aar0n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2010, 07:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

Similar to your issue.. need to remove plastic cover on the radio..

I found a piece of hair in mine radio plastic.

Removing with the air can didn't work.

Pic 1: Radio
Pic 2: close up of hair on radio cover.

Need to find out how to remove the plastic cover without removing the radio??

Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Removing clear plastic LCD display cover from center console?-img_0295.jpg   Removing clear plastic LCD display cover from center console?-img_0297.jpg  
2003 Acura MDX Touring (Sold) hit by another vehicle

Last edited by Will4271; 07-29-2010 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Adding Pictures
Will4271 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2010, 02:47 AM   #3 (permalink)

Anyone???
Old 08-09-2010, 08:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

I just bought 2008 MDX and that was the first thing that I notice - all this dust, so I cleaned it this weekend. It does require some disassemble thought. You have to remove the radio side trim following the instruction posted on this tread (on the pdf):
Dash Removal to access DVD/Radio on 2007 MDX
don't forget to remove the bottom plastic piece between the radio and the mid console trim (it is in the instruction). The next step will be to unscrew the four screws holding the stereo in place (two on each side). Place a tower on the mid console so you don't scratch the trim and gently pull the radio out. Remove the two screws on the side facing down that hold the top display to the radio. Now lift the display and utilizing the flat side of knife gently lift the clips on the bottom and top holding the plastic window. Clean the screen with LDC friendly cleaner and follow the reverse steps to put everything in place. Good Luck
bgkorekom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2010, 08:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

Addition - you don't need to remove the glove compartment, just follow the instructions to remove the to "wood" trims and the plastic piece under the stereo ONLY.
bgkorekom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2010, 11:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

I just brought it into the dealer.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:24 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgkorekom View Post
I just bought 2008 MDX and that was the first thing that I notice - all this dust, so I cleaned it this weekend. It does require some disassemble thought. You have to remove the radio side trim following the instruction posted on this tread (on the pdf):
Dash Removal to access DVD/Radio on 2007 MDX
don't forget to remove the bottom plastic piece between the radio and the mid console trim (it is in the instruction). The next step will be to unscrew the four screws holding the stereo in place (two on each side). Place a tower on the mid console so you don't scratch the trim and gently pull the radio out. Remove the two screws on the side facing down that hold the top display to the radio. Now lift the display and utilizing the flat side of knife gently lift the clips on the bottom and top holding the plastic window. Clean the screen with LDC friendly cleaner and follow the reverse steps to put everything in place. Good Luck
bgkorekom, thanks. I followed these instructions last night, and was able to successfully clean the display (I chickened out last time I had it all apart, and stopped short of removing the radio unit). But it was not difficult.

A couple additions. Aside from the upside-down screws facing down, there is another screw on either side of the display unit holding it in place on the metal frame horizontally (at least on my 2009). I would also caution that the LCD is extremely susceptible to light/hairline scratches. I was using a microfiber cloth, and actually ended up leaving a tiny scratch on the screen. It's not noticeable from 3 feet away with the unit all reinstalled, but the point is, proceed with caution.

After reconnecting the negative battery terminal, I had to re-enter the anti-theft code for both the radio and the nav unit (they have separate codes), so have those handy. Then I had to drive into an open area and wait a few minutes with the engine started to allow the nav system to acquire a GPS satellite fix.

IMO, the hardest part of the whole process is removing the dashboard trim, mostly because, not knowing how strong the retaining tabs and clips are, I moved very slowly to take care not to damage the plastic parts.

I would also caution having a dealer do this, your mileage may vary. They have the right tools to take the radio out easily, sure, but again, the LCD is fairly fragile. You wouldn't want to put yourself in an awkward place where the tech decides to wipe the dust out with an abrasive shop rag or something and ends up making it worse than you started out with. I actually called my dealer about this before proceeding on my own and they told me they don't service the screen-- they basically said if it bothered me that much, I'd have to buy a new unit (a $400+ part).

Good luck, fellow OCDers.
aar0n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 03:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

I thought I'd bring this post back to light. The display on mine was getting hard to see in the sun with all the dust. Its easier than I expected.

I used a thin flat plastic paint scraper to get the trim panels started. From there its just light-handedly pulling straight out (having a warm interior help keep the plastic tabs intact).

I didn't bother disconnecting the battery nor did I need to fully pull out the radio (pulling it out a couple inches will allow you to detach the display). No codes to enter, etc.

Start to finish was 30 minutes being EXTREMELY careful. It could be done in 10 if you didn't care. Looks brand new now!

Above is the link I used: Dash Removal to access DVD/Radio on 2007 MDX
mdxmiler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: