Problem with in-dash cd changer - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 06-23-2010, 09:03 AM   #1 (permalink)

Problem with in-dash cd changer

When I switch over to the changer, I get the following error message on the display - ER - E1. It won't play my discs.

Any thoughts?

New - 12 MDX Advance CBP/Ebony, silver roof rack with crossbars, towing package, Advance running boards, back up sensors, BSM, window tint, Acura remote starter and full size spare.
timbrwolf9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2010, 03:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Chopper Challenge Champion

Maybe a jammed cd? Is it a standard cd or was this a burned one?
midnightMDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2010, 09:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightMDX View Post
Maybe a jammed cd? Is it a standard cd or was this a burned one?
Standard. It is working again now but the problem seems to be intermittent. It wouldn't let me play nor eject any of the discs the other day but did this morning. Rather odd.

New - 12 MDX Advance CBP/Ebony, silver roof rack with crossbars, towing package, Advance running boards, back up sensors, BSM, window tint, Acura remote starter and full size spare.
timbrwolf9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2010, 04:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Chopper Challenge Champion

They could be some dust or debris in there.
midnightMDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2010, 05:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

I get the same error. Its most likely something I did wrong putting it back together.

When I unplugged battery to reset engine light, my preset number five button wouldn't work to enter in the security code. So I took it apart to press in the button, and its working, except my six CDs are still in it and I can't even eject them because of the error.

I will be taking it apart again and trying again.
bradchasse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2010, 11:07 AM   #6 (permalink)

I am having the same error message. I think I have a CD stuck while changing or some loose paper on the CD. Is there a way to take it apart and remove a problem CD?? Please advise.
slietesa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2010, 12:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'm glad you asked slietesa..

I actually fixed my problem. Well, the problem with the number five preset was caused by me not securely tightening everything back up after I took out the nav screen. I think the radio faceplate had troubles making contacts.

To fix the cd error message.. I took out the cd changer unit, I took off the top cover exposing the insides of the changer. I had six cd's in there. I think the order of which the cd's were in.. or like the order of which the mechanical parts were in, got mixed up.

Now this part, I thought I had broken it.. But it went back together and works perfectly now.. I took the 5 cd's that weren't on the spinner out through the back of their holders. I should have took some pictures... If you have the faceplate facing you and your looking down at the top of the unit without a cover, I lifted up the metal top of where the cd's were almost an inch, there is a few pins that go through the plastic cd holders, and one pin came out of place. I went slow, lifting up just enough to wiggle out the cd's through the back. When I had the five cd's out, i let the metal peice back down trying to work it back in through the holes in the plastic cd holder. It kind of fell back in place where it was supposed to be. I was pretty nervous the whole time. I had one cd in place where it spins and plays.. i didn't bother trying to take that one out. I put the cover back on, plugged it in to the car and it loaded right up and when i pressed Cd it played the cd in place... it works perfectly now. it loads and ejects a full six cd's too.

Another thing I'll note is that before I took it apart I noticed a couple things. If you unplug the unit and plug it back in, you can't hear any moving parts. But if you unplug the battery of the car or have the unit unplugged for like 30 minutes, and when you turn it back on, you can hear the changer moving around to read how many cd's are in place. I think that's the important part that will cause an error. If the position of the cd's are messed up or jammed, it won't know how many cd's are in and wont let you do anything with the cd changer. So that would make sense that people have problems occasionally, and it can sometimes be solved by unplugging battery.

One more thing, while this fixed my problem, I don't know if it will for you... but it's probably a good thing to try as long as your careful.

Oh and by the way.. it was against my business interests to give you that advice. Because I'm actually selling my bose cd changer on ebay right now. So if for some reason you can't fix it.. I have 5 days left on my auction and I started the bidding at $50 with $20 shipping.. Other auctions have a buy now of $80-120.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice. I am going to attempt to remove the player next weekend.I got the bottom support off and was working on getting the bottom clips off and it was going slower than planned. I decided to wait until next weekend when I have more time.
Did you have any problems with the clips for the frame around the unit?
Did your player make any noise or did the front cd port open and close before you worked on it?
Old 07-11-2010, 04:15 PM   #9 (permalink)

Question

One more question, I forgot about before. Is there a way to get the CD out of the player portion of the changer. This may be my problem causer. Right now the indicator on the front show disc slot #1 & #4 available, but I think there are 6 discs installed.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:25 PM   #10 (permalink)

After you take off the wood panel, and unplug the three plugs that control the yield, climate control, and lights, there should be 6 screws to unscrew, the metal bracket that holds the nav and radio. Pull that forward a little and unplug the plugs behind it to get it out and free so you can take it onto a table to work on. Then it's easier to unscrew the nav unit, 4 screws instead of 8, and the two screws that screw the nav to the radio, and then you can open up the radio unit lid with teh tony screws.

This is a first gen mdx right? mine is.. (01-06) and if your changer is newer than that... than this probably isnt going to help also i think the 03-06 are different from the one i have, which is a 2001/
Old 07-17-2010, 02:39 PM   #11 (permalink)

I got my stuck CD out of the changer today. The above advice was great and not nearly as daunting of a task with the advice you gave me.
Thanks again and good luck to anyone who has this problem in the future.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:12 PM   #12 (permalink)

hey
i might need some helps here.
i got the same problem, my cd stucks.
i read your messages, but how can i take off the wood panel or front cover??
i cant open it.

helpssss, cd stucks for last 2 years.......
kaykoola is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2011, 03:41 PM   #13 (permalink)

If you haven't figured this out yet you gently pry the wood grain piece off with a thin plastic putty knife or something like that so you don't scratch the dash (like I did with a screwdriver). Once that is off it is pretty obvious which screws to remove and the plugs on the back make sense as you remove them. Good luck
bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2011, 10:25 AM   #14 (permalink)

I removed all the jammed cds and it still shows the message CD ER-E1. So frustrated. Called the dealer, said 400-500 to fix and 2 grands to change the whole unit. It's a rip off!!!!!!!!!!

Any advices????
MDX_lover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2011, 01:36 PM   #15 (permalink)

I took mine out in about 30 minutes and couldn't fix it so I had to put it back in (about 15 minutes after the learning curve was over). There is a place on EBAY that guarentees that they can fix it for $180+/- dollars. I haven't pulled it again to send it to them. If you do go this route make sure to use something soft to get the "burl" trim piece off so as not to scratch the surrounding dash (like I did). It is really easy to do. The other route is to get a new one on EBAY but make sure that they include the code because you can't use it without that. Good luck
bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: