Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums

Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums (http://www.mdxers.org/forums/)
-   Audio & Electronics (http://www.mdxers.org/forums/19-audio-electronics/)
-   -   Remove 02 Radio (http://www.mdxers.org/forums/19-audio-electronics/36776-remove-02-radio.html)

ronjcar 07-10-2009 04:42 PM

Remove 02 Radio

Does anyone have a good link or photos/description on how to remove the factory radio and install a 3rd party one? How much work is this?

Thanks
Ron

midnightMDX 07-10-2009 05:28 PM

Heres instructions to remove the radio.
http://www.mdxers.org/forums/showthr...threadid=14043

Installation is fairly simple depending on the unit you choose. You might need a double din kit. You need to wire a harness for the new radio.

dgilley 07-12-2009 08:30 PM

I'm in the process of changing out my 2001 MDX radio and I think the 2002 is identical in this regard.

It was pretty easy. I found the pictures/link posted above helpful but did deviate a bit from these instructions.

I have the 2001 Acura MDX Service Manual and it recommends a different procedure for removing the artificial wood panel around the radio to enable the nav/radio to be remove. I decided to follow the service manual approach based on a recommendation from a good Acura service consultant. Apparently he has seen quite a few MDX's come into the shop needing replacement wood panels because they often crack when people are trying to pry them off. Its a pretty expensive piece because it has the integrated switches, AC controls and screen, etc. Once you get it off you can easily see how it could be cracked by prying since the middle plastic areas are pretty thin, flex in a scary way, and the clips can sometimes be tough to break loose.

Anyway, the service manual approach worked fine. Basically you reach under the ash tray area and pop off a piece of trim by pulling it toward you. It has 4 clips and just pulls off. Although it can take some force to pull it out.

Then you remove the not an ash tray and remove 4 screws holding the tray/power socket and lower it down.

This allows you to reach up under the wood panel and easily disengage the ~3 clips from the inside bottom instead of prying from the outside or pushing from the top inside by the AC vents. Be sure to reach far enough up inside to reach the wood panel. There are some lower features inside that almost feel like the clips but are not. When you find the right ones, you will know.

All parts of this process were really easy and felt 100% with no risk of breaking anything except maybe the very first part. I had to pull pretty hard to get the initial lower trim panel to pop off.

Overall I liked this approach better because it felt low risk and was the documented intended removal approach of the engineers who designed the MDX.

But I know a lot of people have successfully used the coat hanger AC vent method. Just be careful!

Note that separating the stock radio from the nav and replacing it with a double DIN from Kenwood was trivial. It fit perfectly! :)

Except for the faceplate. Apparently nobody makes an MDX double DIN faceplate except some guy on ebay who wants ~$100 for it! Kenwood supplies one that you can cut to shape and I may try that. If you find a great solution to the faceplate adapter problem, please let me know!

midnightMDX 07-12-2009 11:35 PM

Thanks for posting that info dgilley! I will add that to the FAQ. :D

Ragin_Mongoose 06-22-2010 02:39 PM

The link that is provided for the instructions to remove the radio is no longer working. Is there another thread I can use?

SBM MDX 06-22-2010 02:52 PM

http://www.mdxers.org/forums/19-audi...e-install.html

These old links are a pain!

midnightMDX 06-22-2010 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragin_Mongoose (Post 463324)
The link that is provided for the instructions to remove the radio is no longer working. Is there another thread I can use?

Any link that still has the old acuramdx.org website in it, just needs to be replaced with mdxers.org. All the old links still work.

ElbertL 08-13-2014 11:42 AM

Kenwood, Scosche SLC4, and Steering Wheel control - will it fit?

My CD player has been in and out of operation for nearly 2 years. Finally died completely a few months ago. Found an audio repair shop that quoted around $175 or more to fix, so I decided to go modern and install an aftermarket with Bluetooth and USB.

I picked the Kenwood DPX 500BT. It requires a Schoshe SLC4 output converter to connect to the factory bose that is about 4X3X1.5 inches. And reading through the owners manual I find I need another adapter to get the audio buttons on the steering wheel to work. I don't know how big that adapter will be.

Any of you who have installed an aftermarket stereo with these extra components care to give me some advice? Will I get them all to fit? I hate to lose the steering wheel controls but will give that up if I must.

Also, a search of the forums have provided me with 2 methods to remove the wood panel and Crutchfield gave me a 3rd. 1) remove the panel below the not an ashtray and reach up under; 2) use wire hanger to pull top by reaching through the vents; and 3) use a small screwdriver to pry along the edges (Crutchfield instructions). I don't want to choose #3 - my interior looks perfect right now. Should I go with #2?

Thanks in advance all...

ElbertL 08-22-2014 05:05 PM

Aftermarket double din successfully installed

1 Attachment(s)
I used both methods for removing the plood. First I removed the "not an ashtray" and lower trim. I reached up behind the plood and easily pushed out the bottom. Then I used a coat hanger to reach through the vents to pull out the top. It was a bit scary to get the middle clips released, but with some careful wiggling I got them out.

FYI, Crutchfield makes a nice trim piece that fits the Acura dash. The brackets provided don't have the same exact braces as the original and they are plastic instead of metal, but they do work. I attempted to reuse the original metal brackets, but could not align the holes with those on the Kenwood.

When replacing, I couldn't get everything to fit - I had a schosche converter that is about 3 1/2 inches by 2 1/2 inches to squeeze in behind the stereo with two wiring harnesses. I found that if I reinstalled the "not an ashtray" trim and tray before installing the stereo everything fit just fine.

Thanks MDXers!