Originally Posted by proud_mdx_owner
I have been looking to replace the broken ribbon cable in my 2005 MDX. Can you provide more details on how you replaced the cable.
1. Pop the trim cover off the off the unit, pulling down all around the edges.
2. Unplug the electrical plug.
3. take out the 4 nuts that hold the unit to the ceiling.
4. With the unit out of the car, take the dozen or so screws out of it that holds the screen to the metal base and the controls to the metal base.
5. Take the 4 screws out of the sides of the screen (under the little trim colored stickers).
6. Pop the screen open. I used multiple screw drivers as to not damage the plastic edges.
7. Both ends of the old ribbon cable are held in place by a fragile plastic piece. Use a very small screw driver to unlatch the ends of it and it should come right out along with the cable.
8. There was a plastic plug going through the middle of the cable inside the screen as well, I removed it and discarded it since the new cable doesn't have a formed place for it.
With the new cable just reverse this process.
I did place a loop back of extra cable with a rubber band around it on both sides of the hinge to give slack for the screen when it opens and closes, so it wouldn't pull on the connection.