RES: ribbon cable for LCD screen - Page 2 - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.00 average.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:09 AM   #16 (permalink)

New aftermarket ribbon cable

I just went through finding a new ribbon cable for my RES screen on an 06 MDX.

I thought I would post a couple details for anyone else who ran into this problem. The new cable is under $20 shipped!

My rear screen model Panasonic (based on label of original cable): M4A494221
The cable part number might be Matsu****a: TR-7WA3MH-H

All you need to do to find an aftermarket ribbon cable on ebay is:
1. Measure the number of pins on the end of the cable, mine has 30.
2. Measure the pitch of the pins (distance from center to center of each in millimeters), mine is 1mm.
3. Measure the length of the old cable, mine was about 18". Always go the same length or longer for the new cable since it needs the extra cable to allow the screen to fold up without unplugging itself.
4. Go to ebay and look for a cable with those specifications. Mine was AWM 20624 RIBBON CABLE from bangkok-electronic-excell.

Then just look up how to disassemble it (pretty easy, about 20 phillip screws) and put the new cable in place.
HockeyDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2012, 04:28 PM   #17 (permalink)

I have been looking to replace the broken ribbon cable in my 2005 MDX. Can you provide more details on how you replaced the cable.

Thanks.
proud_mdx_owner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2012, 09:55 AM   #18 (permalink)

Steps to replace ribbon cable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by proud_mdx_owner View Post
I have been looking to replace the broken ribbon cable in my 2005 MDX. Can you provide more details on how you replaced the cable.

Thanks.
1. Pop the trim cover off the off the unit, pulling down all around the edges.
2. Unplug the electrical plug.
3. take out the 4 nuts that hold the unit to the ceiling.
4. With the unit out of the car, take the dozen or so screws out of it that holds the screen to the metal base and the controls to the metal base.
5. Take the 4 screws out of the sides of the screen (under the little trim colored stickers).
6. Pop the screen open. I used multiple screw drivers as to not damage the plastic edges.
7. Both ends of the old ribbon cable are held in place by a fragile plastic piece. Use a very small screw driver to unlatch the ends of it and it should come right out along with the cable.
8. There was a plastic plug going through the middle of the cable inside the screen as well, I removed it and discarded it since the new cable doesn't have a formed place for it.

With the new cable just reverse this process.
I did place a loop back of extra cable with a rubber band around it on both sides of the hinge to give slack for the screen when it opens and closes, so it wouldn't pull on the connection.

Good luck!
HockeyDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2012, 12:33 PM   #19 (permalink)

HockeyDog,

Thanks very much.
proud_mdx_owner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 04:49 PM   #20 (permalink)

This is my first post here, and I just wanted to give a huge thank you to HockeyDog! Its been about a year since the rear dvd stopped working and it was killing me to have to pay a few hundred dollars to replace the whole unit when everyone here knows that its just the ribbon cable that needs to be replaced. Once I saw HockeyDog's post I was cautiously optimistic. I puleed the unit apart, saw that my cable had the identical specs, and ordered it on ebay from Bangkok for 17 bucks. I received the cable yesterday, rushed home and slapped everything back together, reinstalled it and EUREKA! Works like a champ!

Thank you HockeyDog for the detailed instructions, without it I would've been a little nervous taking it apart. In case anyone is wondering, I have a 2004 MDX. Anyone out there that's having this issue that has a little patience waiting a couple of weeks for the cable to ship from Thailand will be very very happy with the result and the savings.
pachman40 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 08:33 PM   #21 (permalink)

I also have a 2004 MDX that needs the cable replaced as well. Can you please provide the part number for the cable and who did your order the cable from; which vendor? I have not taken apart the screen, but do you think it would be the same cable since it's the same model year?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachman40 View Post
This is my first post here, and I just wanted to give a huge thank you to HockeyDog! Its been about a year since the rear dvd stopped working and it was killing me to have to pay a few hundred dollars to replace the whole unit when everyone here knows that its just the ribbon cable that needs to be replaced. Once I saw HockeyDog's post I was cautiously optimistic. I puleed the unit apart, saw that my cable had the identical specs, and ordered it on ebay from Bangkok for 17 bucks. I received the cable yesterday, rushed home and slapped everything back together, reinstalled it and EUREKA! Works like a champ!

Thank you HockeyDog for the detailed instructions, without it I would've been a little nervous taking it apart. In case anyone is wondering, I have a 2004 MDX. Anyone out there that's having this issue that has a little patience waiting a couple of weeks for the cable to ship from Thailand will be very very happy with the result and the savings.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:02 PM   #22 (permalink)

Thanks for the information, greatly appreciated. Can you let me know what the following I should get? "Same Side" or "Different Side" ribbon cable? Also, vendor asks for the following information.

1. 0.50mm , 1.00mm or 1.25mm pitch (understand)

2. number of pin (understand)

3.wide (what is this?)

4.length (understand)

Is this the same vendor that you used? excell-electronic-excell

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyDog View Post
1. Pop the trim cover off the off the unit, pulling down all around the edges.
2. Unplug the electrical plug.
3. take out the 4 nuts that hold the unit to the ceiling.
4. With the unit out of the car, take the dozen or so screws out of it that holds the screen to the metal base and the controls to the metal base.
5. Take the 4 screws out of the sides of the screen (under the little trim colored stickers).
6. Pop the screen open. I used multiple screw drivers as to not damage the plastic edges.
7. Both ends of the old ribbon cable are held in place by a fragile plastic piece. Use a very small screw driver to unlatch the ends of it and it should come right out along with the cable.
8. There was a plastic plug going through the middle of the cable inside the screen as well, I removed it and discarded it since the new cable doesn't have a formed place for it.

With the new cable just reverse this process.
I did place a loop back of extra cable with a rubber band around it on both sides of the hinge to give slack for the screen when it opens and closes, so it wouldn't pull on the connection.

Good luck!
Old 11-10-2012, 10:40 AM   #23 (permalink)

Reds2K1, I just sent you a link by pm to the one I bought on ebay, not sure if I'm allowed to post it here since I'm new to the forum and not familiar with all rules yet.

My 4 yr old's eyes lit up last night when I popped in Finding Nemo, she didn't know I fixed the dvd, funny how those little simple things make all the difference.
pachman40 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 01:05 PM   #24 (permalink)

Can't wait to see the eyes on my 4 year old as well once it's fixed. It's been dead for over a year.

Thanks to all for the information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachman40 View Post
Reds2K1, I just sent you a link by pm to the one I bought on ebay, not sure if I'm allowed to post it here since I'm new to the forum and not familiar with all rules yet.

My 4 yr old's eyes lit up last night when I popped in Finding Nemo, she didn't know I fixed the dvd, funny how those little simple things make all the difference.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:42 AM   #25 (permalink)

Thanks to HockeyDog and pachman40 for all the information. Ordered the part on ebay and it arrived a few days ago. Put the unit back together again today and reinstalled in car. Can't wait to see my 4 year old's face the next time she's in the car.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:52 PM   #26 (permalink)

Hey Pachman40,
I have the exact same problem with my 2004. Since you have the same model and everything worked out for you, would you mind posting a link to the vendor on ebay you purchased it from. Also, could you give me the specific specs. Make my like easier. Thanks a lot. Here are the four part numbers on my cable:

M4A479161A
FA4250082
TR-7WA2MH-CL
TXFBM01AT25

Thanks
Frank
Frank_357 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 05:56 PM   #27 (permalink)

Don't know if I'm allowed to post a direct link, but if you go to ebay and search on the following:

AWM 20624 RIBBON CABLE 1.00 mmpitch 30 PIN 520 mm 30PIN 52cm 20.5"

It's sold from "excell-electronic-excell" vendor from Bangkok, Thailand. Took about 2 weeks for delivery to the US.

It appears that the price has gone up from $17 to $26.

I have 04' MDX and used the same cable as Pachman40. He provided the seller/cable details to me as well. PM you additional information. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_357 View Post
Hey Pachman40,
I have the exact same problem with my 2004. Since you have the same model and everything worked out for you, would you mind posting a link to the vendor on ebay you purchased it from. Also, could you give me the specific specs. Make my like easier. Thanks a lot. Here are the four part numbers on my cable:

M4A479161A
FA4250082
TR-7WA2MH-CL
TXFBM01AT25

Thanks
Frank
Old 07-02-2013, 03:52 PM   #28 (permalink)

How can I be sure this is my issue

Hi all, thanks for all of the great info so far. I think I have this same Ribbon cable problem, but can't be sure. I have a 2006. Video started not playing internittently (at the time I think we thought it was specific DVDs), but now it has been completely out for about 6 months. No pwer to rear unit at all. Does this sound the same to what you all experienced? Will visual inspection of the ribbon cable yield a definitive answer.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Scorpio800 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2014, 10:14 AM   #29 (permalink)

DVD Cable on Ebay

30pin L 450mm AWM 20624 Ribbon Flex Cable Acura MDX DVD Screen 1 00mm 17" | eBay

Here is the link for the cable on ebay. 17" some of the others are too long and break again.
This will be my 3rd replacement. the other ribbons came in 18" and you have to loop it and it bends and breaks again.

2005 MDX
ravenwolve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: