Dvd Audio How Does It Sound? - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-06-2009, 11:38 AM   #1 (permalink)

Dvd Audio How Does It Sound?

I have a 2009 MDX with the tech package. How do DVD audio discs sound on the ELS sound system compared to regular cd's? Are there any specifc DVD audio discs that you would recommend? ..........I was thinking of ordering the Beatles Love audio dvd
spacemanrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2009, 12:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

They sound phenominal, but the problem is there isn't much of a selection and with the abunance of 2-channel only devices (i.e. ipod) I frankly don't see much future in the media.
BeachRunnerX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2009, 10:34 AM   #3 (permalink)

Re: Dvd Audio How Does It Sound?

Quote:
Originally posted by spacemanrick
I have a 2009 MDX with the tech package. How do DVD audio discs sound on the ELS sound system compared to regular cd's? Are there any specifc DVD audio discs that you would recommend? ..........I was thinking of ordering the Beatles Love audio dvd
There was a sample DVD Audio DVD in my glovebox in my new 2009 TEch/Ent MDX. Did you not get the sample DVD?
indus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2009, 11:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Tetris Champion

Send a message via AIM to Hodog16
They do sound great with the surround sound, but the selection is limited. I'm not even sure new ones are made.

There are a lot of different genres represented, so it depends on your taste in music on which ones to get. Some can still be bought for relatively cheap amounts (more than a CD but under $20) but a lot of the popular bands can be quite pricey since most are out of print.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:46 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the input guys. I did not receive a sample DVD audio disk from the dealer but they were able to locate today a sample DVD audio disk from 2005 for the ELS system.

The 5.1 channel sound blows away anything else I have heard in a car stereo. Jim Morrison came alive again and came through the center channel on my dash in Touch Me. The regular CD music sounds pretty good but the 5.1 sound is in a totally different league

My Beatles Love DVD audio disk should be here in the next few days!
Old 01-13-2009, 07:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

The Beatles Love DVD-A is one of the first ones I played on my 07. It can get creepy when you hear the chorus from different directions.

I got a few others but haven't picked up any new ones in months. In the car: Santana Supernatural, Tchaikovsky, Queen A Night at the Opera, Vivaldi The Four Seasons.

Interesting but haven't tried yet: Sting Nothing Like the Sun; BMG Complex; Eagles Hell Freezes Over.

There should be a DVD-A thread here somewhere...
Old 01-13-2009, 04:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Send a message via AIM to LionSpeed Send a message via Yahoo to LionSpeed
Actually there are a lot of DVD-Audios out there. Last time I looked there were around +800 titles scatter every where. Purchased most of mine from Amazon & ebay. I've managed to collect around 50. Here are some of my short list that I can remember on top of my head

Neil Young-Harvest
Shania Twain UP!
David Bowie
Santana - Shaman
Ryan Adams GOLD
Sting - Brand New Day
Aaron Neville Devotion
Styx Cyclorama
Chicago
Beatles Love
Beethoven Romantic Moments
London Philharmonic Orchestra Dream Suite
The End of the Innocence by Don Henley
Love Scenes by Diana Krall
Egales Hell Freezes Over
Sheryl Crow
Old 01-13-2009, 06:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

Some more titles I have...

Frampton Comes Alive
Elton Goodby yellow Brick Road
Blue Man Group
Pat Benatar
Neil Young
Old 01-22-2009, 12:12 AM   #9 (permalink)

Thumbs up

When I put in the Beatles Love DVD audio disc it knocked my socks off!! It is hard to go back to regular CD's after hearing the DVD audio......CD's sound good but the DVD audio sounds incredible. I have ordered REM's greatest hits on DVD audio and that should be here next week.

Next on my DVD audio list is probably Elton John Goodbye yellow brick road and Crowded house
Old 11-05-2012, 11:15 AM   #10 (permalink)

Any other titles packaged the way the Beatles Love was...with an Audio DVD as an extra. that was was really easy to find, and cheap to buy. But a lot of the "GOOD" stuff is $60-250 per DVD.
TheBigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 01:35 PM   #11 (permalink)

It DOES sound amazing, but it appears it did NOT catch on as a media format as DVDs/CDs are quickly being replaced by online download (no physical media) music and movies.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:12 PM   #12 (permalink)

I haven't done this in a few years, but if you are motivated, there are audio tools you can use to build simulated surround sound music. Of course, unless your source is 48khz you'll only get CD fidelity at 44.1, BUT surround sound depth and background vocal separation can be added to your favorite "2D" music.

DVD audio Tools
Old 11-05-2012, 04:03 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docroxall View Post
It DOES sound amazing, but it appears it did NOT catch on as a media format as DVDs/CDs are quickly being replaced by online download (no physical media) music and movies.

I refuse to take part in the music download approach. I'm sticking top buying CDs until they quit making them. I HATE the digital download. You get an inferior product, no artwork, no lyrics, no hard backup copy, etc. I just don't get it.
TheBigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 08:16 PM   #14 (permalink)

I think you're missing the boat Kahuna. For the music you fit into a whole wall in your room and only play one by one, I can fit in my pocket and play all at anytime and anywhere. Just plug my iPod/iphone into my car, stereo, Bluetooth device and out comes the equivalent of about 1000 CDs. By the way, I get digital artwork and lyrics too that show up on the nav or TV screen. A cd can't do that

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App
Catman70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 12:11 AM   #15 (permalink)

Right there with you, Catman. As I type this, I have app. 1000 CD's on racks behind me, gathering dust. I have 20,000+ songs on my iPod Classic 120GB. In addition to the CD's, I digitized my 1000pc vinyl collection and my favorite stuff now resides on that little miracle that fits in the palm of my hand. The iPod changed the way I collect and listen to music. Life without it would be a bit more difficult.
denvrfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: