2007 MDX Subwoofer Upgrade - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-20-2008, 09:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

2007 MDX Subwoofer Upgrade

I have a brand new 12" JBL P1222 DVC subwoofer sitting in my closet that I would like to install in my 2007 Elite pkg MDX. I'm wondering if anyone has upgraded from the not so powerful 10" stock subwoofer Acura has supplied us with. Ultimately I would like to squeeze the JBL into the side panel in the back of the truck. This sub is extremely big and powerful. I DO NOT want to build a box for it and lose 25% of my trunk space.

Any advice? Pictures?? Ideas??? Experience with this install???

Please help.
RUNTNGS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2008, 07:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

The OEM subwoofer is in a black box with the amplifer. It's very shallow. You'll need to replace the amp along with the speaker, if you do either.
It is very likely that you'll have to build out at lest a few inches to be able to fit an aftermarket woofer in. If you do, you will wind up with an undersized air space behind the big new speaker.
I'm don't listen to some of the really demanding new music with thuderous bass, but I do listen to music with some very heavy bass lines. I am shocked by the power of something ike the kettle drums in Copeland's Fanfare for theCommon Man. (this assumes windows are closed)
Have you tried turning up the bass one or two clicks, and the subwoofer two or three clicks? this may be an easier subwoofer upgrade.

Bye Bye- 2005 Blue Steel, Navi, OEM tow, CDT Audio EF 61CFi speakers
Bye Bye- 2003 Touring w/OEM Tow; SS/Qrtz.
"Often Wrong, Never in Doubt"
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2008, 12:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

replacing mdx 2008 subwoofer

Can anyone advise on how to get to the subwoofer in a basic 2008 mdx?

I've figured out how to remove the door panels to get to the speakers, the center speaker and tweeters but the subwoofer grill seems to be glued on.

When I pull on it, it doesn't pop as I expect. If I pull harder the fabric moves with it. I can get my hands in to touch the subwoofer but can't seem to find how to unhook it.
njeb2009 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2010, 03:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by njeb2009 View Post
Can anyone advise on how to get to the subwoofer in a basic 2008 mdx?

I've figured out how to remove the door panels to get to the speakers, the center speaker and tweeters but the subwoofer grill seems to be glued on.

When I pull on it, it doesn't pop as I expect. If I pull harder the fabric moves with it. I can get my hands in to touch the subwoofer but can't seem to find how to unhook it.
hey mr. njeb2009,

did you ever manage to replace the factory sub (i believe the stock is only an 8 inch subwoofer) with your 12 inch JL sub?...if so did you manage to fit it into the compartment where the factory/stock sub was housed?...from my research i'm not too sure how that would sound, even if you did somehow manage to fit it into that compartment- as i've found varying 'recommended minimum & maximum enclosure sizes' for different subwoofers (i'm assuming these recommendations are provided to maximize the overall potential sound for each given subwoofer...).

or did you have the subwoofer installed into a separate enclosure/box positioned elsewhere in your MDX?

~Priscilla
Priscillababy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2010, 08:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscillababy View Post
hey mr. njeb2009,

did you ever manage to replace the factory sub (i believe the stock is only an 8 inch subwoofer) with your 12 inch JL sub?...if so did you manage to fit it into the compartment where the factory/stock sub was housed?...from my research i'm not too sure how that would sound, even if you did somehow manage to fit it into that compartment- as i've found varying 'recommended minimum & maximum enclosure sizes' for different subwoofers (i'm assuming these recommendations are provided to maximize the overall potential sound for each given subwoofer...).

or did you have the subwoofer installed into a separate enclosure/box positioned elsewhere in your MDX?

~Priscilla
It seem like a life time ago since I ripped that out. There is no way to remove the grill cover alone, you have to remove the right inner panel to get to the plastic subwoofer enclosure. I wasn't too ambitious, I think I replaced the dual speaker connected in phase with a single more powerful subwoofer. Is it better, slightly. To really get a kickin bass you really need an amp.
njeb2009 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2010, 09:53 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by njeb2009 View Post
It seem like a life time ago since I ripped that out. There is no way to remove the grill cover alone, you have to remove the right inner panel to get to the plastic subwoofer enclosure. I wasn't too ambitious, I think I replaced the dual speaker connected in phase with a single more powerful subwoofer. Is it better, slightly. To really get a kickin bass you really need an amp.
thanks for the input mr. njeb2009- sorry i had originally confused you with mr. RUNTNGS, thinking that you were the one considering installing the 12 inch JL sub...

what model/brand and size sub-woofer did you install into your MDX? and per your last post, are u saying that you were or were not able to install the new sub into the location of the factory/stock sub?

~Priscilla
Old 12-02-2010, 12:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

I am contemplating upgrading the stock sub and keeping it in the stock location, but after looking at it a little closer I'm not sure it would be a worthwhile upgrade. When it comes to subwoofers, the enclosure is at least as important as the driver itself. Low frequency bass notes need drive a lot of air....you need a large enough enclosure, ports, and well braced innards or you'll get all sorts of distortion from the sub. Even the stock sub seems to distort a bit when pushed hard. With the stock location, you have maybe 6 inches between the driver and the fender...not enough to push out heavy low frequency bass notes.

That being said, depending on your taste in music and how you like to listen to it, it might be more worthwhile to upgrade the tweets and woofers first. You'd be suprised by how much bass you can get out of a series of high quality woofers vs one dedicated subwoofer. The Polk SR6500 speakers I'm looking to put in my MDX use the same drivers as the Polk LSi's I run in my home theater, and when I play music at home, the 90lb HSU subwoofer gets turned off! I listen to a good amount of bass heavy hip-hop too (grew in the 90's!)
Mystik610 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2011, 05:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

You only need .35 cubic feet of air space for one of the new Alpine thin Type-R drivers. I wonder what kind of upgrade this would make? Anyone using the new thin alpine type-r's in their X's??
NickV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2011, 05:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

would like to know as well..

cboy7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2011, 09:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

can somebody please embark on an ambitious subwoofer mod for the 2nd Gen. MDX like this amazing one (and then post followup pics, results, and details afterwards! ):

Audible Physics / Zapco Install in an 08 Acura MDX - DIYMA.com

Old 06-09-2012, 03:10 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscillababy View Post
can somebody please embark on an ambitious subwoofer mod for the 2nd Gen. MDX like this amazing one (and then post followup pics, results, and details afterwards! ):

Audible Physics / Zapco Install in an 08 Acura MDX - DIYMA.com
I know this is an old thread I am hoping by now someone has done this. I have an 09 MDX and I am looking to upgrade my factory sub and would like to keep a somewhat factory look. I love the work done on that MDX listed above. I have contacted the person who did that work unfortunately he is located in CA and I am in NYC. I don't trust too many audio guys out here to do the work as I would like. I would like to have someone who has done work like this before on this vehicle. Does anyone here know anyone in the NY tristate area who can do work this well? PM me and let me know. Thanks
Scorpioinny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 02:20 PM   #12 (permalink)

The current gen MDX has been out there since 2006 but there's still not even a harness I can find yet for an aftermarket head unit, much less something in the way of a customized subwoofer enclosure (other than the enviable custom job shown here)!

If there's anyone following this thread in the New Hampshire/VT/northeastern Mass area: I got in touch with these guys in Kingston, NH who molded and sell an enclosure for a 10" driver that, similar to the Audible Physics custom one in this thread, "eats" the stock subwoofer space while taking a bit of extra room in the trunk flush to the right side third row "armrest":

Wicked C.A.S. Acura MDX Magic Box subwoofer enclosure

The problem is, as you can see, that they only have this for the FIRST Gen MDX.

They're willing to make a version for the 2007+ MDX, but they need someone to bring one in for them to make a "first of its kind" enclosure and to make a mold. It would take about 7-8 hours, you'd have to leave your car with them for a day or two. Once that's done, it would take them a few more weeks for them to be able to start producing them from a fiberglass mold.

I would love to do this but I'm in NYC. I said I would think about dropping by in Feb or April if I have an excuse to go up to Boston and a way to leave my car with them without being stranded (i.e., if the weather permits me to ride a motorcycle from there to Boston), but if anybody here is local to them who has wanted to get a subwoofer upgrade for this car, ... PLEASE GO DO THIS!
robardin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2013, 09:23 PM   #13 (permalink)

Wicked is a good solution to getting an aftermarket sub in our vehicles. Someone should go get we done!
logonzojls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2014, 10:22 PM   #14 (permalink)

I know this thread is old but Wickedcas.com makes a sub enclosure for our 2007-13 MCX's. The price is steep at 348$ but I am contemplating buying it. Does anyone know of another location to buys these at a cheaper price?
djsuchnsuch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: