Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Light Running Board

9K views 48 replies 7 participants last post by  vlam 
#1 ·
:2:
Finally, got my running board lighting up.
didn't see anyone post it right here so I just start this and see if anyone interested ...

About a month ago when first time X service at dealer and enjoy the coffee in the waiting room, nice sunshine afternoon. A shining X drove in and a beautiful young lady steps out the X. But the thing really caught my eyes was the running board, not the board itself but the lights on the both end of the board.
the lights were on when open the door and gradually fade out about 10 second after close the door. mmman that looks soooo cool. I need to got one of this, I thought. At the same time I heard my wife was like Woowww¡K.. and I knew I dont need to persuade her for the board no more.

Dealer said that is aftermarket 3rd party board and they dont carry that no more because the mounting kit doesn't hold very well. I dont care I just want it. I did some study for the board and post this.

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21761&highlight=running+board

Most of those boards use generic mounting kit which were for ford, gm that kind of truck. And didn't see many people install here on X. I really dont have confidence neither install them myself nor by shop store. And dont know how would that look, if they match the X or not ¡K.

So I think why not using the Acura board and install light myself. The Acura board is better looking and match with the X. At least they hold the board and I dont need to worry about it comes loose when my daughter climb up the X.

Ok, long story short. After looking many different light, light bulb, light case, ¡K. I think LED is best bet. It looks cool, pull less current, smaller, easy to mount ¡K. and cheap ¡V supposed.

I remember I could buy 10- 30 LEDs with 1 buck, 20 years ago. But time seems changed. Now they charge $1-5 each. #$%^&* ..
with a little search, I found some fair price LEDs and put them on.

:2:

See less See more
#34 ·
this time i found some leftover black ducttape.
looks better than white,
but I am not going to change the left running board. just leave it as is. cos I dont want laying down there again and dont want un-install and install it again.

maaan, install - uninstall - install . totally I install this board 3 times.
i hate it.

Attachments

#37 ·
passenger sidr wiring

foot light at passenger side is very easy accessable without removing anything.

Just push the tab on the top of plug and unplug it.

cut the warp and tube. splice the wire
white (+) and
green (-)

I try mount the LED (-) end to ground but it doesn't work.
normally the foot light green wire seems NOT connect to ground but 12V.

in this way I can NOT simply connect to TURN SIGNAL.

If anyone have DOOM LIGHT and TURN SIGNAL diagram, i'll appreciate if you can post it on here or mail it to me.

Attachments

#42 ·
top down view from driver side open door.

it's done for the running board boot light.
Total price.

$5 x 7 LED (set of 2) for both sides. = $35
$2.5 x 4 194 single LED = $10
+ shipping subtotal = $38

+ wiring nuts, elec tape, duct tape, 18G wire, splice connector, tools.
under $50. you should get them all.

I apent more for spare, testing and shipping but here is everything I put on RB for this project.

have fun

:4:

Attachments

#45 ·
:1pat: :16: No offense, but that taping job has gotta go! There has to be a better way than using masking tape and electrical tape!

#47 ·
Don't forget to add a fuse for left & right lights, it may burn out that $500 circuit board under the passenger side foot elctrical panel.

#48 ·
vlam said:
No offense, but that taping job has gotta go! There has to be a better way than using masking tape and electrical tape!

Couldn't agree more. Nice job getting everything working but definitely clean up the install.

oops,
dont know this is that bad. it my first time try some on the car. never done that before. And dont know what people usually do to clean up the wiring o install
:confused:

Any advise about the better(best) way to finish this up. ill do everything that i can do.

will this taping void the warranty ? or any kinds of service issue?

#49 ·
Any advise about the better(best) way to finish this up. ill do everything that i can do.

To start with, look into wiring gromet. You have some wires touching metals. They may be insulated but it's always a good practice to protect wires with gromet. Instead of electrical tapes, look into using zip tie or hot glue. They usually provide more secure attachments as oppose to tapes that does not fair well in hot/cold weather.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.