Definitive Guide For Homelink Set-up - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-30-2004, 01:15 AM   #1 (permalink)

Definitive Guide For Homelink Set-up

People:

The manual leaves out important steps fpr programming the SUV's Homelink system for those of us that have "Rolling Code Systems"- any newer garage door opener. I was on the phone with Wayne from Homelink for an hour to get my system up and running for my 2 Acura vehicles. I realize that many people have had no problem setting the Homelink feature up, so this is for the folks like myself that have had problems.

1-800-355-3515
www.homelink.com

1. Position vehicle within 10 feet of garage door- engine off and battery on.

2. Press/hold 2 outside buttons of Homelink transceiver until red indicator starts flashing rapidly, then release button. This should take about 20 seconds. This erases any previously learned codes.

3. Press/hold remote control and press/hold button of Homelink transceiver simultaneously. Slowly move remote control from 5" away to 1" away from Homelink transceiver. Release both buttons after red indicator starts blinking rapidly. This should take about 5 seconds. I discovered that the Homelink in my TL is a bit faulty because it took much longer to accomplish this than when programming the Homelink in my MDX. My TL's Homelink may "unlearn" it's code in the future and the needed proximity of the TL to the garage door may be much closer than desired until I get the Homelink fixed.

4. Press training button on garage door opener unit until the indicator lights illuminates- this should be immediate.

5. Within 30 seconds press/hold the Homelink button for 2-3 seconds until the red indicator starts flashing rapidly. Repeat a second time. It should now be programmed. Check it by pressing the programmed button on the Homelink receiver.

6. When programming more than 1 garage door opener unit, disconnect power from unit before programming more units. By not doing this the programmed unit could conflict with the unprogrammed units commands.

Problems:

1. The Battery in the garage door remote may be too weak to program Homelink. However, the battery may be strong enough to operate the garage door. One of my remote controls had a weak battery- my system was installed today, fresh out of the box. I had to use the second remote control for the programming of Homelink on my 2 vehicles.

2. Antenna on the garage door opener unit must be hanging down, fully extended.

I hope this thread is helpful for some people.
uboltpb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2005, 04:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

Unhappy Can't get Homelink to detect Opener

Thanks for your detailed info! I have what I think is a different problem though.

When I try to initially program the Homelink with my remote (just to get Homelink to pick up the remote's code), the Homelink doesn't seem to recognize the it. The Homelink flashes at a consistent, slow rate for about 20 secs, then stops flashing, without ever speeding up to indicate that it has received a signal.

My remote's light flashes during normal use. I'm guessing that it intermittently broadcasts a signal each time its light flashes?

I tried programming the homelink right after installing a new battery in the remote, and still no step 1 luck.

I have a Marantec Mac-Lift III garage door opener with a Marantec remote.

Anyone know what the problem might be?
icantremember is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2010, 01:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

We just got an '01 MDX and my homelink did the same, flash steady while trying to program with the remote opener. In my owners manual it says that if the opener uses the rolling code, I have to push the program button on the rear of the garage door opener and then within 30 seconds, push and release the button I want to program on the Homelink. Might have to push and release the button up to three times and when the blinking light on the garage door opener stops blinking, the remote is programmed. I will try this today as soon as the car gets home and another body to help with pushing the button in the car. I'll advise if it works.
Great site, will probably have more questions myself, have a noisy rear blower to look at also.
hurschel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2010, 05:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

It's at least a 30-45 mins thing. I have a the rolling code so it made it harder but I got it working. I just followed the book.

You have to read it carefully I found.
2003 Acura MDX Touring (Sold) hit by another vehicle
Will4271 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2010, 09:39 AM   #5 (permalink)

Don't have mine working yet, followed the directions in the manual over and over again, also tried the directions on the opener, still no luck.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

Wow, I'm not the only one with this problem. I have a Genie Excelerator garage door opener, a 2008 MDX just purchased saturday. I just reset the opener and reprogramed all my other vehicles with no problem. I have a Honda Pilot, a Chevy Tahoe and a couple of remotes. Tried both manuals, Acura and door opener, even tried suggestions from other users on this site( ubolt). Any other suggestions would be appreciated. This is a great site and glad I found it
Traildude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2010, 01:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by uboltpb View Post
People:

The manual leaves out important steps fpr programming the SUV's Homelink system for those of us that have "Rolling Code Systems"- any newer garage door opener. I was on the phone with Wayne from Homelink for an hour to get my system up and running for my 2 Acura vehicles. I realize that many people have had no problem setting the Homelink feature up, so this is for the folks like myself that have had problems.

1-800-355-3515
HomeLink

1. Position vehicle within 10 feet of garage door- engine off and battery on.

2. Press/hold 2 outside buttons of Homelink transceiver until red indicator starts flashing rapidly, then release button. This should take about 20 seconds. This erases any previously learned codes.

3. Press/hold remote control and press/hold button of Homelink transceiver simultaneously. Slowly move remote control from 5" away to 1" away from Homelink transceiver. Release both buttons after red indicator starts blinking rapidly. This should take about 5 seconds. I discovered that the Homelink in my TL is a bit faulty because it took much longer to accomplish this than when programming the Homelink in my MDX. My TL's Homelink may "unlearn" it's code in the future and the needed proximity of the TL to the garage door may be much closer than desired until I get the Homelink fixed.

4. Press training button on garage door opener unit until the indicator lights illuminates- this should be immediate.

5. Within 30 seconds press/hold the Homelink button for 2-3 seconds until the red indicator starts flashing rapidly. Repeat a second time. It should now be programmed. Check it by pressing the programmed button on the Homelink receiver.

6. When programming more than 1 garage door opener unit, disconnect power from unit before programming more units. By not doing this the programmed unit could conflict with the unprogrammed units commands.

Problems:

1. The Battery in the garage door remote may be too weak to program Homelink. However, the battery may be strong enough to operate the garage door. One of my remote controls had a weak battery- my system was installed today, fresh out of the box. I had to use the second remote control for the programming of Homelink on my 2 vehicles.

2. Antenna on the garage door opener unit must be hanging down, fully extended.

I hope this thread is helpful for some people.
Hey ubolt, I have the rolling code opener also and the manual for my mdx states to not use a remote. Does your manual state to use a remote for the rolling code?

Thanks
Traildude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2010, 10:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

The flowchart is correct, but only if you interpret it correctly. I did not interpret it correctly and messed with it for 30 min. I thought it was just press program on garage door, and then 2 seconds on the Homelink button. That is NOT it. The steps to program a roaming remote control are:

** just pre-maintenance, remove all codes by pressing the 1 and 3 dotted buttons together for about 20 seconds until the light starts blinking fast.

1. get the handheld remote control for your unit, you will need this.

2. press and hold the homelink button along with the handheld unit at same time. The handheld unit will at that point either open or close the garage, depending on if the door is open or closed. Hold the buttons until the light starts flashing fast. Then let go.

3. At this point, the link between Homelink and transmitter is there, but because it's a roaming garage door opener, it hasn't "learned" the roaming sequence, or whatever it's called. At this point you need to press the "learn" button on the garage door opener.

4. Press and hold the same Homelink button you pressed earlier for step #2 for about 2 seconds. The light will blink and change speed again. Now you're done.

5. Press the Homelink button and it will open or close the garage door.

Ugh... so tough.
Teg2Xer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2010, 02:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

I printed out Teg2Xer's instructions and followed them to the letter.
MY HOMELINK IS WORKING. Thanks.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:12 PM   #10 (permalink)

I spent a while fiddling trying to get this working and it wasn't until I followed Teg2Xer step by step that I finally got it working. Thanks a million!
pachman40 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 06:59 PM   #11 (permalink)

Homelink Set Up Solution

Great instructions.

I spent to much time trying to futility follow the directions in the owners manual. Worked like a charm first time through.

Thank you very much for posting the information!
piano2ner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 12:29 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildude View Post
Wow, I'm not the only one with this problem. I have a Genie Excelerator garage door opener, a 2008 MDX just purchased saturday. I just reset the opener and reprogramed all my other vehicles with no problem. I have a Honda Pilot, a Chevy Tahoe and a couple of remotes. Tried both manuals, Acura and door opener, even tried suggestions from other users on this site( ubolt). Any other suggestions would be appreciated. This is a great site and glad I found it
I have the same Genie opener and I haven't been able to get my 12 MDX programmed yet. I have tried several times parking under the opener, pressing the Learn button then pressing Homelink buttons. I have tried each of the three buttons, still no go. Even reset any possible old code, still no go.

New - 12 MDX Advance CBP/Ebony, silver roof rack with crossbars, towing package, Advance running boards, back up sensors, BSM, window tint, Acura remote starter and full size spare.
timbrwolf9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 06:22 PM   #13 (permalink)

Glad I saw this. I have two openers at my house, one is a Genie with a rolling code, and I have tried numerous times to get the Homelink to sync. Gonna try these steps tonight!
TheBigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 07:42 PM   #14 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

I programmed three cars last night for our third car garage. This helped a ton!

02 Honda S2000 -- Berlina Black/Black
99 Acura RL -- Naples Gold Metallic/Parchment
12 Toyota Avalon Limited
phins2rt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 04:54 AM   #15 (permalink)

Step #2 is the one omitted from my MDX manual...why? It appears Acura has fallen to what I like to call "new device assumption". In this tech manual faux pas, the writer only considers the "green field" scenario when writing the instructions...nowhere in the manual, does it discuss the need or the ability to "reset" the HomeLink buttons. Being owner #2...it was required to get my HomeLink to "learn" my rolling code opener. Similarly...I found it nearly as difficult to find out how to reset my address book and Handsfree Link phone numbers. NOTE to MDX sellers...don't forget to do this as you turn in your lease vehicles, or trade in your MDX for a new one...I could have copied the former owner's phone book...and even driven to her home (it was set as "home" in the nav section).
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: